Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 10:22 AM

18,255 posts, read 16,990,384 times

Advertisements

I believe that an ancient tribe of bronze-age goat herders called Hebrews intermingled with other tribes who sacrificed animals to appease their gods and the Hebrews said, "This might work" so they picked up the practice. Like all other ancient practices it evolved into a very elaborate ritual complete with fireside stories of being led out of a hostile land by a great man and into their own dwelling place. Eventually this became known as Passover. The rest, as they say, is the Old Testament.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2018, 10:23 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,435,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
It's a good question, but goes beyond our understanding and knowledge. There are many things in life and the universe that we can't or won't know. We should learn to accept that. It's only a big issue if you let it be. Maybe it's a test on some level. Having trust, not wrestling with something unnecessary, etc.
I don't see it as unnecessary for those of us who were taught that we MUST believe that God demanded a blood sacrifice (Jesus) in order to be saved from an eternity of torment. Such teachings -- for those of us who were indoctrinated with it from a very young age and accepted it -- left us with a very warped understanding of what love is (since we were also taught that God IS love). And it forced us to accept a self-contradictory premise, which isn't a great precedent to set for sound reasoning.

Old 09-07-2018, 10:31 AM

2,186 posts, read 1,177,506 times
Of course, the concept is ridiculous and primitive. Same as the evolving man made gods of which it came.

Old 09-07-2018, 10:35 AM

3,092 posts, read 1,954,863 times
Understanding starts with understanding our corrupt nature.

Old 09-07-2018, 10:40 AM

11,198 posts, read 7,253,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I hardly think the NT is living in "the present".
So by that failed "logic", we can't recognize the US Constitution because it was written many years.

Old 09-07-2018, 11:09 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,275,017 times
Quote:
It's a good question, but goes beyond our understanding and knowledge. There are many things in life and the universe that we can't or won't know. We should learn to accept that. It's only a big issue if you let it be. Maybe it's a test on some level. Having trust, not wrestling with something unnecessary, etc.

The Catholic nuns and priests who taught me in the 50s and 60s were big on the "it's a mystery, just accept it" thing. It was one of the factors that led me to believe Christianity was false and its god-thing no more real than the Wizard of Oz.

Old 09-07-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Ah. that old chestnut. How convenient.
And so with cancer - which we don't fully understand and can't prevent - it must be an "old chestnut" too, whatever the hell that is supposed to mean.

Old 09-07-2018, 11:28 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,435,932 times
Quote:
And so with cancer - which we don't fully understand and can't prevent - it must be an "old chestnut" too, whatever the hell that is supposed to mean.
It's not just about "not understanding fully", Thoreau. It's about holding beliefs about God that actually contradict each other.

Old 09-07-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
The Catholic nuns and priests who taught me in the 50s and 60s were big on the "it's a mystery, just accept it" thing. It was one of the factors that led me to believe Christianity was false and its god-thing no more real than the Wizard of Oz.
Nuns and priests mean nothing to me. But if you want to give them some power and relevance, knock yourself out. You apparently took their foolishness and outdid them.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 09-07-2018 at 11:46 AM..

Old 09-07-2018, 11:36 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,086,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Ah, you so are referring to the Bible, me thinks.
I wanted what you thought.

I would counter that then , by using your same Bible...
Psalm 51 alone is a good example of that ...you must know there are others.
But, still this is not a battle of verses since the Bible is so full of contradictions.
What does your experience, your logic think....or do you have none of either...experience nor logic,
just a blind faith that anything the Bible says is true?
Cuz, gee, ....so many contradictions.
I still appreciate you posting, BF.
In my experience, and from the Bible, I find that my heart, as everyone else's heart, is deceitfully wicked. What I think is irrelevant. God gave us his word. HE said he wanted sacrifices.

Of course, he later on said when the Israelites started to worship the process instead of the God they were to honor, he preferred faith, not ritual. It's about WHY we do what we do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality