Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 09:45 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,894,870 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else think that religious difference and debate is more like a battle between personality types?

To me, this kind of information (see link) supports that idea. And perhaps those who hate religion probably just have a problem with "ISFJ" prickly pears in general.

https://www.16personalities.com/arti...rsonality-type
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 11:21 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,798,478 times
I had to think about that a bit. I's say - no, it isn't about that.

(1) it is about the validity of the religious claims themselves. This is a matter of Data and reason - not personalities

(2) the apologetics, tactics and rhetoric used also follows particular patterns. This is based more on what kind of religious buy -in the apologist has than personality. For example a Bible literalist creationist will argue a different kind of apologetic from a cafeteria Christian, even though within those parameters, we can find personality -based differences, the style of Fogma determines the apologetic.

(3) the instict of Faith and personal cred. is joined at the hip. The apologetics methods and progress (or regress, rather) to evasions, irrelevancies and escape strategies without having to admit defeat is standard theist apologetics, no matter what the personality -type is.

Atheist skepticism is of course nothing to do with personality -types. It is sound use of validated data and logical reasoning and whether it is done well or not matters more than personality -types.

I won't go too far into it, but 'personalities' is more often part of a theist apologetic ad hominem way of escaping an argument that they are losing on data and reasoning.

Old 04-20-2019, 11:31 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,619,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Does anyone else think that religious difference and debate is more like a battle between personality types?

To me, this kind of information (see link) supports that idea. And perhaps those who hate religion probably just have a problem with "ISFJ" prickly pears in general.

https://www.16personalities.com/arti...rsonality-type
you have to be careful here ozzy.

the overall debate is not about personality traits. Its about god/no god.

what i am talking about is how personality traits affect the expression of the belief. How do personality' affect the debate.

how would an adult child of abuse express their theism when challenged?
how might an adult child of abuse express their atheism when challenged?

How does personality type affect how a person responds to the word "god"?
How does personality type affect how a person responds to the word "no god"?

More importantly, can we identify the unhealthy personality's when we debating them?

Old 04-20-2019, 11:48 AM

1,305 posts, read 860,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I had to think about that a bit. I's say - no, it isn't about that.

(1) it is about the validity of the religious claims themselves. This is a matter of Data and reason - not personalities

(2) the apologetics, tactics and rhetoric used also follows particular patterns. This is based more on what kind of religious buy -in the apologist has than personality. For example a Bible literalist creationist will argue a different kind of apologetic from a cafeteria Christian, even though within those parameters, we can find personality -based differences, the style of Fogma determines the apologetic.

(3) the instict of Faith and personal cred. is joined at the hip. The apologetics methods and progress (or regress, rather) to evasions, irrelevancies and escape strategies without having to admit defeat is standard theist apologetics, no matter what the personality -type is.

Atheist skepticism is of course nothing to do with personality -types. It is sound use of validated data and logical reasoning and whether it is done well or not matters more than personality -types.

I won't go too far into it, but 'personalities' is more often part of a theist apologetic ad hominem way of escaping an argument that they are losing on data and reasoning.
While I agree with some of what you've said here, I also disagree with some of it. Whether a person accepts that all of creation can be explained by "data and reason" could be a facet of personality types. There are scientists and there are artists. The artist is more the "creative" type, while the scientist is more of the "rational" type...broadly speaking. And, sadly, seeing how so many discussions around the whole god/no god thing turn into ugly name calling and less than adult comments, obviously emotion and personality are involved. We are not computers.

Old 04-20-2019, 12:37 PM

8,739 posts, read 3,916,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post

[/url]
The desire for continuous debate (or need to prove one is ‘right’) in regard to someone else’s belief (or disbelief) isn’t so much related to personality as it is to psychological health, in my opinion.

Old 04-20-2019, 12:47 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,619,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
The desire for continuous debate (or need to prove one is ‘right’) in regard to someone else’s belief isn’t so much related to personality as it is to psychological health, in my opinion.
yes, accepted personality disorders is a reflection of the "psychological heath".

kind of the same issue.

Old 04-20-2019, 02:15 PM

1,305 posts, read 860,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
The desire for continuous debate (or need to prove one is ‘right’) in regard to someone else’s belief (or disbelief) isn’t so much related to personality as it is to psychological health, in my opinion.
In my case, it's sometimes related to boredom.....there is no way to prove right or wrong on this topic, IMHO. I do like to read what posters have to say and consider the arguments, but it's sad when it deteriorates into insults and name calling.

Old 04-20-2019, 02:46 PM

8,739 posts, read 3,916,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
In my case, it's sometimes related to boredom.....there is no way to prove right or wrong on this topic, IMHO. I do like to read what posters have to say and consider the arguments, but it's sad when it deteriorates into insults and name calling.
True, perhaps it is boredom in some cases - either way, that comes back around to psychological health, especially when it involves (in some cases) hours and hours of invested energy into what boils down to, more often than not, grade-school insults and the need to be ‘right’ which do not vary much in content day to day.

I don’t believe in gods; but I’m not about to spend hours of trying to convince a believer they are ‘wrong’ - and yet, I would consider myself a strong and outspoken personality. This is why I say it has more to do with psychological health than personality type.

Old 04-20-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
While I agree with some of what you've said here, I also disagree with some of it. Whether a person accepts that all of creation can be explained by "data and reason" could be a facet of personality types. There are scientists and there are artists. The artist is more the "creative" type, while the scientist is more of the "rational" type...broadly speaking. And, sadly, seeing how so many discussions around the whole god/no god thing turn into ugly name calling and less than adult comments, obviously emotion and personality are involved. We are not computers.
Art is a human construct. It tells us about how we work - in certain ways, but science (data and reason) tells us about how the rest works. Any claims about that have to be validated by 'data and reason' or they carry no credibility.

Old 04-20-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Yes it is. mind, saying that someone is not arguing rationally is not an insult (if the point can be validated, of course - just saying 'you are irrational' is pretty insulting, if it isn't validated) , but it can be the start of some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality