Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 08:54 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times

Advertisements

Last time I looked, the US Constitution guarantees freedom of religion and dictates that a government can not establish an official religion over another. Yet atheists have twisted those laws to mean freedom from religion. In other words, they think it's their right to be shielded even seeing a minor reference to religion in public view. This vile extreme attempts focused only on Christianity just shows the level of contempt that they have in their hearts against Christ and his followers.

Here is the latest example:

Quote:

A memorial honoring fallen officers outside the new police station in Tega Cay is receiving a lot of attention. The memorial features a large stone which is engraved on the back with a scripture. The scripture on the stone was recently edited, leaving out the word "lord".

"These people you know they put their lives on the line every day for the safety of the community and that's what we hope people get out of it," said Tega Cay City Manager Charlie Funderburk.

'Lord' removed from new Tega Cay police memorial - Story | WJZY

For one thing, removing the word Lord is just silly. It is still a prayer. Who is the moment addressing if Lord no longer exists on it? Second, from what I read, only one person complained about the momument. So now they entire community has to accommodate the wishes of some anal person who can't stand the sight of the word Lord. Third, the momument was a donation. How is this any different than a piece of art on a public land that might be offensive to some people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2019, 08:59 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Really, jeffie? Your panties are in a bunch over this?

Old 07-24-2019, 09:06 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,606,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Last time I looked, the US Constitution guarantees freedom of religion and dictates that a government can not establish an official religion over another. Yet atheists have twisted those laws to mean freedom from religion. In other words, they think it's their right to be shielded even seeing a minor reference to religion in public view. This vile extreme attempts focused only on Christianity just shows the level of contempt that they have in their hearts against Christ and his followers.

Here is the latest example:

'Lord' removed from new Tega Cay police memorial - Story | WJZY

For one thing, removing the word Lord is just silly. It is still a prayer. Who is the moment addressing if Lord no longer exists on it? Second, from what I read, only one person complained about the momument. So now they entire community has to accommodate the wishes of some anal person who can't stand the sight of the word Lord. Third, the momument was a donation. How is this any different than a piece of art on a public land that might be offensive to some people?
WAH WAH WAH, CHRISTIAN PERSECUTION, STUPID ATHEISTS!!!

That's what you sound like, Jeff.

Personally, I don't care one single little bit if the word "Lord" is on it. That being said, if you allow that, then you would have to allow other things on the property as well. Think residents would like having a Satanic memorial to fallen officers? We all know that you and others would have a fit if any other religion was given this preference. At this point, it is simply whining by the religious right because they don't get free reign to do whatever they want anymore.

And don't tell me that these people didn't know what they were doing when they donated it, either. Unless they live under a rock, they should have known this would end up being an issue, right or wrong. Now they are starting petitions, and having prayer circles, all because a word was removed...

You are also missing the point. This isn't just "public land", it is a police station. This is not a park, or a Memorial set up specifically to honor fallen officers, like you see elsewhere. Oh, and your own link says complaints came in immediately after it went up. Not one complaint, many complaints. Why lie about that, Jeff?

Old 07-24-2019, 09:13 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
WAH WAH WAH, CHRISTIAN PERSECUTION, STUPID ATHEISTS!!!

That's what you sound like, Jeff.

Personally, I don't care one single little bit if the word "Lord" is on it. That being said, if you allow that, then you would have to allow other things on the property as well. Think residents would like having a Satanic memorial to fallen officers? We all know that you and others would have a fit if any other religion was given this preference. At this point, it is simply whining by the religious right because they don't get free reign to do whatever they want anymore.

And don't tell me that these people didn't know what they were doing when they donated it, either. Unless they live under a rock, they should have known this would end up being an issue, right or wrong. Now they are starting petitions, and having prayer circles, all because a word was removed...

You are also missing the point. This isn't just "public land", it is a police station. This is not a park, or a Memorial set up specifically to honor fallen officers, like you see elsewhere. Oh, and your own link says complaints came in immediately after it went up. Not one complaint, many complaints. Why lie about that, Jeff?
He didn't say "Stupid" atheists. You added that. You can't even represent us correctly when you directly reference a quote.

And for the record, there was recently a shrine to Satan worship included in a capital building, if I recall, for that same purpose. In any event, if the people of a community overwhelmingly want a memorial, why is it your business to suggest they can't? It's their right.

Old 07-24-2019, 09:16 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times
Quote:
I suggest you read, and re-read, and re-read your first sentence, as many times as it takes, until the meaning permeates your brain. Atheists have not twisted anything. Freedom of religion means just that; government not establishing one religion over another means just that.

Old 07-24-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
He didn't say "Stupid" atheists. You added that. You can't even represent us correctly when you directly reference a quote.

And for the record, there was recently a shrine to Satan worship included in a capital building, if I recall, for that same purpose. In any event, if the people of a community overwhelmingly want a memorial, why is it your business to suggest they can't? It's their right.
Did you not see the part where I said, "This is what you SOUND like"? I clearly didn't say that Jeff said that, BF. You are the only one misrepresenting anything here.

Why is it their right to infringe on others rights? Because they are Christians? Because they are the majority? Our elections aren't even decided by the majority, BF, why should this be? They have the "right" to put it up, just as others have the "right" to complain and get it taken down.

Like I said, I personally don't give a rat's behind. I am an atheist, but love going into old churches, looking at old religious art, and things like that. I wouldn't have said anything about it. The fact is though, the community leaders aren't just there to serve Christians, and can't be seen as giving preference. Why this is so hard for you guys to understand baffles me.

Old 07-24-2019, 09:30 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Did you not see the part where I said, "This is what you SOUND like"? I clearly didn't say that Jeff said that, BF. You are the only one misrepresenting anything here.

Why is it their right to infringe on others rights? Because they are Christians? Because they are the majority? Our elections aren't even decided by the majority, BF, why should this be? They have the "right" to put it up, just as others have the "right" to complain and get it taken down.

Like I said, I personally don't give a rat's behind. I am an atheist, but love going into old churches, looking at old religious art, and things like that. I wouldn't have said anything about it. The fact is though, the community leaders aren't just there to serve Christians, and can't be seen as giving preference. Why this is so hard for you guys to understand baffles me.
Because they may look like adults, walk like adults and sometimes even talk like adults.

But they are spiritual toddlers. If they don't get their way, they throw tantrums.

Old 07-24-2019, 09:33 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
I suggest you read, and re-read, and re-read your first sentence, as many times as it takes, until the meaning permeates your brain. Atheists have not twisted anything. Freedom of religion means just that; government not establishing one religion over another means just that.
Acknowledging or referencing a religion is not establishing a religion. IF the city declared that only Christian references would ever be permitted on public property then you have an argument. Not so in this case.

Old 07-24-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Because they may look like adults, walk like adults and sometimes even talk like adults.

But they are spiritual toddlers. If they don't get their way, they throw tantrums.
Kinda seems that way sometimes. The other question I have, is why they think they need all of these monuments, memorials, and that kind of stuff, with their religious stuff plastered all over it. You can have a fallen officers memorial without adding in the bible. They have just gotten their way for so long, they throw a tantrum when they are told no, I guess.

Old 07-24-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Acknowledging or referencing a religion is not establishing a religion. IF the city declared that only Christian references would ever be permitted on public property then you have an argument. Not so in this case.
Giving preference to one religion is certainly getting close to that line, don't you think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality