Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can humans ever know all there is to know?
Yes. 1 8.33%
No. 11 91.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 12:12 PM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times

Advertisements

I made a statement in another thread, that "Human beings cannot know all that truly exists."

I was taken to task about this that they claimed was "a fatally flawed claim" because it "places limitations on humans."

I never got the chance to reply for reasons I won't get into, but I have considered the argument as I always enjoy doing when it seems based on reason and logic rather than a bunch of emotion and hogwash. Thought too perhaps solicit other opinions, because when I originally wrote this statement I was fairly well convinced that a) man will not continue to exist long enough to actually accomplish such a feat even if it is possible and b) the expanse of the universe and all that truly exists seems impossible to fully comprehend, much like how something could come of nothing AKA the universe.

More specifically, I find it hard to imagine that us human beings, mere mortals will ever achieve such a state of all knowing, because we ARE limited and always will be. Is this a truth that cannot be claimed because I can't prove it to be true? Are there not truths such as these we can accept "for all practical purposes" or if absolute proof is required, what CAN we accept as truth for all concerned?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2019, 12:17 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,024,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I made a statement in another thread, that "Human beings cannot know all that truly exists."

I was taken to task about this that they claimed was "a fatally flawed claim" because it "places limitations on humans."

I never got the chance to reply for reasons I won't get into, but I have considered the argument as I always enjoy doing when it seems based on reason and logic rather than a bunch of emotion and hogwash. Thought too perhaps solicit other opinions, because when I originally wrote this statement I was fairly well convinced that a) man will not continue to exist long enough to actually accomplish such a feat even if it is possible and b) the expanse of the universe and all that truly exists seems impossible to fully comprehend, much like how something could come of nothing AKA the universe.

More specifically, I find it hard to imagine that us human beings, mere mortals will ever achieve such a state of all knowing, because we are limited and always will be. Is this a truth that cannot be claimed because I can't prove it to be true? Are there not truths such as these we can accept "for all practical purposes" or if absolute proof is required, what CAN we accept as truth for all concerned?
No one knows what truly exists 100 million light years away. We can see the light that is here now, but we really have no clue what is there now. Nor can we.

Old 08-22-2019, 12:19 PM

22,192 posts, read 19,227,493 times
"Can Humans ever know all that truly exists? "
when in the physical body, no, of course not.

when out of the physical body and part of Creative Source
and All That Is, yes

Old 08-22-2019, 12:30 PM

574 posts, read 377,129 times
Typical physics blackboard covered with symbols and equations that make zero sense to most of us. And they tell us the math works if we throw 11 dimensions? I still struggle with the first 4 dimensions.

Most have seen the example of gravity of a ball sitting on a flexible membrane and the weight of the ball depresses the membrane and so any other ball rolled near the depression begins to orbit. That is only a 2 dimensional explanation, it actually happens in three dimensions but it is beyond my own brain to even imagine what that would look like?

In the human form we are somewhat limited but in the spiritual form it all makes perfect sense? Proof?

What is proof to one person will seem to be trickery to another. Or delusional.

Old 08-22-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
No one knows what truly exists 100 million light years away. We can see the light that is here now, but we really have no clue what is there now. Nor can we.
Still early on in terms of soliciting broader opinion and/or information here, but so far anyway, I'm finding some comfort in my position about this. That revision of this truth is not necessary. Interesting to note, however, that no matter what the reason, logic or rationale, people will insist otherwise.

Alternative opinion is okay of course, even welcomed, sincerely, but when I do make the effort to explain myself, and still there are some people who will take on all manner of insult and harassment to argue their point of view to the contrary, simply because they don't like how or why such truth is contemplated, presented let alone promoted, one has to wonder what other significant challenges stand in the way of reason and logic always so difficult to overcome...

Thanks for your comment and explanation more along the lines most of us prefer! Not that you agree with me. That's nice too, but the manner in which you offer your opinion without the unnecessary angst, nonsense and childish rhetoric. Refreshing and much appreciated!

Old 08-22-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie60 View Post
Typical physics blackboard covered with symbols and equations that make zero sense to most of us. And they tell us the math works if we throw 11 dimensions? I still struggle with the first 4 dimensions.

Most have seen the example of gravity of a ball sitting on a flexible membrane and the weight of the ball depresses the membrane and so any other ball rolled near the depression begins to orbit. That is only a 2 dimensional explanation, it actually happens in three dimensions but it is beyond my own brain to even imagine what that would look like?

In the human form we are somewhat limited but in the spiritual form it all makes perfect sense? Proof?

What is proof to one person will seem to be trickery to another. Or delusional.
My statement is with respect to human beings, while we are alive. While we exist as a species...

What happens after we die invokes some other questions and/or truths I could share, but for now I'm just focused on this one. I'm certainly not able to address what form we take on after we die that involves much beyond what we know from a physical standpoint.

Speculation beyond that sort of line is where I am inclined to accept the common ignorance we're more likely to better recognize and agree upon as a whole objectively speaking. In similar fashion or with similar reason and logic, no living human being can know all there is to know about all the rest...

Old 08-22-2019, 01:05 PM

19,040 posts, read 27,607,234 times
Somehow I keep coming to same statements lately...
No, human can not learn reality.
Physiology.
Every sensory feedback has to be processed by mind to its final result, that being an "impression" about that feedback.
For visual signal, for example, processing time ia approximately 0.2 second, what is a huge span of reality, if you think about it. In 0.2 seconds, a lot of ALL is not where it was before or as it was before.
Thus, human mind operates in delayed reality that is no more. betetr said, in impression about delayed reality - as mind chooses to see it.
How mind chooses to see it is determined by mind conditioning.
Conditioning is determined by how mind developed.

There is a story about some tribe on one of islands, that was still ins tone age. During war, some ships stayed in the island bay, while natives never noticed them as, for them, their minds were not tuned to see things of such nature. So their minds never "saw" the vessels.

That said, and I am really simplifying, there are as many realities perceptions, as there are minds.

That said, how do you expect for humanity to learn reality, if humanity exists in confetti of virtual realities, created by minds?

Old 08-22-2019, 01:06 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
I'm half of the opinion that this thread shouldn't even be here. This is a philosophical question. Not even scientific. Probably humans will never know everything. The cosmos probably in infinite. But how can we ever know that, let alone everything in it. If course we can't be sure 100% of what humans may be capable of, but I wouldn't bet on it. Thus is is speculations about what we don't know and the probability is a good bet but not 100%.

Which is way it often is with such speculations like 'Is there a god?'

Which is what this thread is really about as if it isn't it should be closed.

Old 08-22-2019, 04:07 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,659,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post

well, here we go again, the problem that you had is that you are making a statement instead of asking a question. One does not learn by making statements only by asking questions. Is it possible for human beings to know all that truly exists? Man is not capable at this point in time to know everything that exists, mainly because we don't know what exists beyond our capabilities however as time goes on we learn more and the more we learn the more questions we have,so it's an endless cycle of questions and answers.

More specifically, I find it hard to imagine that us human beings, mere mortals will ever achieve such a state of all knowing, because we ARE limited and always will be. Is this a truth that cannot be claimed because I can't prove it to be true? Are there not truths such as these we can accept "for all practical purposes" or if absolute proof is required, what CAN we accept as truth for all concerned?
I too find it hard to imagine that we as humans could know everything because once we have reached that point then we become stagnate and what's the point in that. We are a curious species and that is why, whether for good or bad we have accomplished what we have up to this point. We will for ever be asking questions and looking for answers to those questions and that is what makes us who we are. I can imagine that in the future that our species will have obtained a vast amount of knowledge far beyond what we have now.
As to what is considered a truth...that depends on the individual and as I have said before there is no one truth, no universal truth.

Old 08-22-2019, 04:28 PM

3,830 posts, read 1,384,422 times
All Knowledge?
I, for one, have NO interest in knowing 'the numbered hairs' that are on Transponders head (if any)!

I am however interested in knowing just that bit which is/will be/ most important for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality