Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2020, 07:37 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,358,202 times

Advertisements

The question of the definition of an atheist continues to come up over and over.

Wikipedia has an excellent definition.

Wikipedia
Atheism
Atheism is in the broadest sense an absence of belief in the existence of deities.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism

That's it. That says it all. If a person says that they reject the existence of deities then they have an absence of belief in deities and they satisfy the definition of an atheist. A person who claims to be neutral on the subject of the existence of a deity or deities, but is absent any particular belief in a deity satisfies the definition of an atheist.

The word "atheist" still has a negative connection in western culture, although that is dissipating as non belief slowly moves towards becoming a majority position. As a result many who have no established belief in a deity or deities eschew the term atheist, and simply reply that they have no religious beliefs when asked. Because many devout believers still associate atheism with evil, or even Satanism. And this is simply the tenancy of believers to superimpose their view of reality on those who do not share their beliefs.

So there it is. To be an atheist is to be absent a belief in the existence of a deity, or deities. So, for you believers, try to understand that atheists don't subscribe to a belief in God in EXACTLY the same way that believers and non believers alike don't subscribe to a belief in Zeus, Santa Claus, or the Easter bunny.

Old 11-21-2020, 08:26 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,630,557 times
Yeah, I wish it were that simple.

take personalities, list them, and predict how they will express atheism/theism.

more specifically. Take the personality traits we assign fundy theist.

How would an atheist with those traits express atheism. would see that those predictions play out in discussions?

Old 11-21-2020, 08:34 AM

3,573 posts, read 1,185,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
The question of the definition of an atheist continues to come up over and over.

Wikipedia has an excellent definition.

Wikipedia
Atheism
Atheism is in the broadest sense an absence of belief in the existence of deities.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism

That's it. That says it all. If a person says that they reject the existence of deities then they have an absence of belief in deities and they satisfy the definition of an atheist. A person who claims to be neutral on the subject of the existence of a deity or deities, but is absent any particular belief in a deity satisfies the definition of an atheist.

The word "atheist" still has a negative connection in western culture, although that is dissipating as non belief slowly moves towards becoming a majority position. As a result many who have no established belief in a deity or deities eschew the term atheist, and simply reply that they have no religious beliefs when asked. Because many devout believers still associate atheism with evil, or even Satanism. And this is simply the tenancy of believers to superimpose their view of reality on those who do not share their beliefs.

So there it is. To be an atheist is to be absent a belief in the existence of a deity, or deities. So, for you believers, try to understand that atheists don't subscribe to a belief in God in EXACTLY the same way that believers and non believers alike don't subscribe to a belief in Zeus, Santa Claus, or the Easter bunny.
Some people just have broken 'heterodyne' device.

Old 11-21-2020, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
Yeah, I wish it were that simple.

take personalities, list them, and predict how they will express atheism/theism.

more specifically. Take the personality traits we assign fundy theist.

How would an atheist with those traits express atheism. would see that those predictions play out in discussions?
There are differing personality traits among atheists, this is true. But if a person does not subscribe to a belief in a deity or deities than they are an atheist. It's really that simple.

Old 11-21-2020, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Duval View Post
some people actively tune it to whatever frequency the want. Still worse we have transponders that just change the frequency.

Old 11-21-2020, 08:41 AM

Quote:
There are differing personality traits among atheists, this is true. But if a person does not subscribe to a belief in a deity or deities than they are an atheist. It's really that simple.
We need to inform some atheist that believing in something more is also atheism.

Old 11-21-2020, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Duval View Post
I was raised to believe in Christianity. But I changed frequencies when I stopped believing in make believe.

Old 11-21-2020, 08:48 AM

Quote:
I was raised to believe in Christianity. But I changed frequencies when I stopped believing in make believe.
so love, compassion, understanding, and forgiveness. Alone with "policing your own first is believing in make believe?

I know when I talk to Christians, telling them love, compassion, and forgiveness is make believe it just doesn't end well.

how and when it did it change for you?

Old 11-21-2020, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
so love, compassion, understanding, and forgiveness. Alone with "policing your own first is believing in make believe?

I know when I talk to Christians, telling them love, compassion, and forgiveness is make believe it just doesn't end well.

how and when it did it change for you?
I was confused by the contradictions in Christian doctrine that I was being exposed to as a child. When I was thirteen I concluded that the various contradictions rendered Christian doctrine to silly to be valid. I also concluded that the entire concept of God was nothing more than make believe. I was an atheist by default from that point on.

Old 11-21-2020, 08:54 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,867,751 times
In the simplest terms and from my own experiences with atheists ... atheism is indifference to believing in a deity or a religious hierarchical order. There are very few atheists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality