Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2021, 01:19 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,036,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
I'm an unbeliever of all religions and I've had multiple God experiences. I wouldn't say your experience is ridiculous but I would say that your experience in no way is any evidence for the existence of the Christian God.

I'm fine with you thinking that, and I understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2021, 01:21 PM

50,874 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
But either way, how many KNOW God exists by way of personal experience and/or how many rely on faith?
I don't know, but my guess is more of the latter.

Old 03-03-2021, 01:25 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,036,382 times
Quote:
Thanks! Appreciate the comment, but I am referring to KNOWING God exists or relying on faith that God exists. The latter suggests to me a belief in something a religious person really never experienced. What you are describing is a faith in other things, or confusion about what is going on and some faith it will work out in the end. No doubt we all have such faith in a lot of things, but about God's existence. A matter of knowing or a matter of faith?

Have your spiritual experiences have you knowing God exists, or perhaps really not, and you're relying on faith that God actually exists?

I'm a little confused...maybe because it's hard for me to separate the 2. Or because I think they go hand in hand. If I'm understanding you correctly...my faith, (as I think you mean it) came before the personal spiritual experience.

Old 03-03-2021, 01:42 PM

11,037 posts, read 5,995,283 times
Quote:
From the article...

This is indeed where science and religion differ. Science requires proof, religious belief requires faith. Scientists don't try to prove or disprove God's existence because they know there isn't an experiment that can ever detect God. And if you believe in God, it doesn't matter what scientists discover about the Universe – any cosmos can be thought of as being consistent with God.

Our views of God, physics or anything else ultimately depends on perspective. But let's end with a quotation from a truly authoritative source. No, it isn't the Bible. Nor is it a cosmology textbook. It's from Reaper Man by Terry Pratchett:

"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Actually, that's not quite true. There are any number of experiments that could detect God. None that can disprove God though.

Old 03-03-2021, 01:56 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,594,064 times
well, just using the traits of life in a textbook, the system we are in matches it far more than it doesn't. So "faith in consistent with observation" is at least a start.

"disproving that". That takes a lot more faith.

Old 03-03-2021, 01:58 PM

29,552 posts, read 9,737,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I'm a little confused...maybe because it's hard for me to separate the 2. Or because I think they go hand in hand. If I'm understanding you correctly...my faith, (as I think you mean it) came before the personal spiritual experience.
Little confused myself...

I'm asking if you believe God exists, is it because a) you experienced something spiritual that confirmed God's existence for you, or b) whether you don't really know God exists but maintain some faith that he does.

Old 03-03-2021, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Actually, that's not quite true. There are any number of experiments that could detect God. None that can disprove God though.
If you know of an experiment that can detect God, what might it be that scientists are missing?

Old 03-03-2021, 02:04 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,337,059 times
I started a thread about experiences a few years back. The atheists were well represented in it.

Epiphanies, healing, and spiritual phenomenon....

Old 03-03-2021, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I started a thread about experiences a few years back. The atheists were well represented in it.

http:////www.city-data.com/forum/rel...henomenon.html
I'm not really interested in the specific experiences per se, but whether they are the basis for KNOWING God exists, or whether it's more a matter of faith (because of no such experiences).

Again, if I had an experience with God, I would know God exists. I would not need faith that God exists...

Old 03-03-2021, 02:24 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,337,059 times
Quote:
I'm not really interested in the specific experiences per se, but whether they are the basis for KNOWING God exists, or whether it's more a matter of faith (because of no such experiences).

Again, if I had an experience with God, I would know God exists. I would not need faith that God exists...
Not necessarily. I had that sense of knowing. Like people have said "there could be other possibilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality