Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 06:34 PM

72 posts, read 228,753 times

Advertisements

I just got visited at my front door by two young men from the church of Latter Day Saints. I saw them standing at the corner as I came home and thought it odd that on a hot summer day two guys would be dressed up in a tie but I thought maybe I had won a lottery and was going to be interviewed with one of those big checks. Anyway, a short time later there is a knock on the door and when I opened it they launched into their script. I did not want to be rude and tell them to get lost but did not want to listen to a long session either and thought I would help them reach their quota, so I told them I did not have time but would take literature. The one nervously fumbled in his bag and pulled out a nice new book of Mormon. I thanked him and moved on. I remember in a previous time I went to basic with a bunch of guys from LDS church and they seemed to have their act together. I got to hand it to that church - at least they have a dedication and conviction that is consistent. No question or comment. Just an observation on these fine young men following thru with what they believe is right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 06:57 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,936,904 times
Yes. I have a lot of respect for Mormon missionaries. Their clean life style is a model that even the nonreligious would benefit from and their convictions are strong; aside from knocking on doors, etc., they also tend to not be overbearing and all "fire-and-brimstone" like the evengelical movement.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:37 PM

258 posts, read 790,531 times
not to mention Jehovah's Witnesses who use their lives in God's service in this way

Old 07-31-2008, 08:52 AM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel and The Dolphin View Post
Yes. I have a lot of respect for Mormon missionaries. Their clean life style is a model that even the nonreligious would benefit from and their convictions are strong; aside from knocking on doors, etc., they also tend to not be overbearing and all "fire-and-brimstone" like the evengelical movement.
it's sort of like the draft, all the young men have to put in their time

and as a friend of mine said, who was surrounded by Mormons at work, "It's kind of nice to be around a bunch of people who don't smoke, don't drink, and don't even drink coffee!" I'd have to agree on that score.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:31 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,583,167 times
I am a non-Mormon but got a soccer scholarship to BYU and went and lived in mormon territory for a year and I gotta tell you, I sure did get a whole lot of religious education.

It was rough, as they are not exactly the most tolerant of religions, although most religions are ethnocentric, they have some sort of religious fervor perhaps not seen on this land for over 100 years and they stay strong to their religion. As they ridiculed me about my beliefs, I studied theirs and hit back at them.

Then I came to realize something. These people live in their own lil world, but they are content or so they believe. It's like those natives living in the Amazon never coming into contact with civilization. If they are content why should we destroy their way of life. Unless they do no abide by the law such as the FLDS, the LDS are moral and law abiding citizens.

I simply tell the evangelists, I am happy the way I am as they are happy the way they are. That religion should be used for a good means and thus everyone to each their own. What may be best for you, may not be best for me. God bless.

Old 07-31-2008, 03:30 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,484,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ertily View Post
I just got visited at my front door by two young men from the church of Latter Day Saints. I saw them standing at the corner as I came home and thought it odd that on a hot summer day two guys would be dressed up in a tie but I thought maybe I had won a lottery and was going to be interviewed with one of those big checks. Anyway, a short time later there is a knock on the door and when I opened it they launched into their script. I did not want to be rude and tell them to get lost but did not want to listen to a long session either and thought I would help them reach their quota, so I told them I did not have time but would take literature. The one nervously fumbled in his bag and pulled out a nice new book of Mormon. I thanked him and moved on. I remember in a previous time I went to basic with a bunch of guys from LDS church and they seemed to have their act together. I got to hand it to that church - at least they have a dedication and conviction that is consistent. No question or comment. Just an observation on these fine young men following thru with what they believe is right.
That was nice of you to talk to them. My two sons served missions for the LDS church, one in Argentina and one in Spain and they always told me how nervous they were to knock on doors. I actually joined the church years ago because of two nice dressed missionaries knocking on my door.

Don't worry though, they don't have any quota. They are just there to serve and teach.

Old 07-31-2008, 05:30 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,940,223 times
LSD is fun....LDS not as much

Old 07-31-2008, 07:08 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,143,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
it's sort of like the draft, all the young men have to put in their time.
Actually all men don't. In the past the church did encourage all men to go no matter what, it was a numbers thing; but nowadays the church encourages quality over quantity. If a young man really doesn't want to go or is pressured by his family (which unfortunately happens all to often) it's better he doesn't.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:21 PM

539 posts, read 1,804,742 times
I've known Mormons for most of my life. If I were to consider their actions (and not their religion),I'd say that they were almost ideal. The Missionaries are polite and not hounding in their approach. I've had other representatives from other denominations tell me that I was going to hell for politely telling them that I didn't want to join their church.
I never understood what Romney's religion had to do with anything. If he is anything like the missionaries, his religion should be an asset.

Old 08-01-2008, 03:22 PM

631 posts, read 1,886,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
LSD is fun....LDS not as much

On a side note, I used to see the LDS magazine at Barnes & Noble for years and always thought it was odd that there was a magazine devoted completely to acid. It wasn't until "Big Love" came on HBO that I realized I am completely dislexic and it was a magazine about the Mormons. I still get teased for that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality