Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 06:24 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,555,443 times

Advertisements

Without an agenda here, the question that I ask is: Why do you believe what you believe?

Is it from thoughtful study, what you have been taught or that it just makes sense to you?

Comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 06:32 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predos View Post
Without an agenda here, the question that I ask is: Why do you believe what you believe?

Is it from thoughtful study, what you have been taught or that it just makes sense to you?

Comments?
Well, I tend to lean toward Buddhism, although not exclusively. I also like some concepts of Hinduism and earth-based pre-Christian Paganesque religions as well.

I follow these beliefs because it does make sense to me and also that I am comfortable with them. Christianity has never made me feel like it is the truth, although many of the teaching seem right and good such as loving one another, etc. Actually, it is organized Christian religion that I disagree with. Most of the non-organized Christians that I know personally are good, decent people.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-23-2008, 06:36 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,233,536 times
I only believe that which works.
The moment I find out some theory does not work I'll examine it to find out what part makes it fail.
Then I either adjust it and see if that will work now or I just abandon the whole project because I might have been completely wrong.

Old 08-23-2008, 07:06 PM

109 posts, read 231,065 times
It makes sense to me

Old 08-23-2008, 08:21 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,808,860 times
Im with the it makes sense to me......Its in my heart, mind and soul.

Old 08-23-2008, 08:38 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,555,443 times
I agree, it must make sense to me. What really puts me off is when anyone insists that I believe as they do simply because it is what they believe. I prefer to try to make sense out of something by my own wits rather than be told what to believe.

Old 08-23-2008, 08:45 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
Quote:

Comments?
I believe because of..

1. My moms bible stories when I was very young
2. A childs answered prayer for angels to keep me warm one night
3. Attending different denominations as a child
4. A genuine interest in different religions in high school
5. A study that went on for years on the bible, history and literature
6. A desperate life situation
7. Prayer, humble prayer, desperate prayer,
8. Finally sincere prayer to God with the faith I had as a child, but lost in
the process of growing up
9. It now makes perfect sense to me

Old 08-24-2008, 04:16 AM

193 posts, read 812,789 times
Quote:

Comments?
Man, talk about the cosmic consciousness, Yesterday or the day before I was thinking about this topic and was thinking about starting a thread .

It's something I'm curious about too, especially in regards to members of traditional and/or mainstream religions.

I've held a lot of different beliefs in my life, well to be exact pretty much only two different world views, but have been involved in several religions. One of these views was always the result of other people presenting information in such a way that I accepted it as truth, and usually a personal experience of some sort. Those were the times I was involved in some form of Christianity.

The second view has always stemmed from personal introspection, paired with independent research (though research usually spurred by hearing something or reading something that got me curious), mixed with what was the most logical idea to me, personal experiences, and what struck a chord of truth with me. In my experience, I have yet to come across any set of beliefs or religion which I believe in completely. There are different aspects from many different belief systems that believe in, some are vague and many are plausible possibilities but not set in stone beliefs. This view is related to my experience with non Christian, Judaic, or Islamic religions/belief sets, it is mainly a combination of eastern religions, paganism, good old new age ideas, with a small dose of deist and agnostic thoughts. This would be my current state of beliefs, and the beliefs that I've held for most of my life (the Christian times falling in between at intervals).

Old 08-24-2008, 04:51 AM

1,573 posts, read 4,063,635 times
Jesus and Buddha both said you could judge beliefs and doctrines by their fruits, or the consequences of belief.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:58 AM

22,182 posts, read 19,221,727 times
personal experience, it's practical, it works, it improves the quality of my daily life immensely, it's big enough to hold it all, it answers all of life's big questions, and i feel it as a discovered treasure in my heart. the path to Creator is through the heart, God does not live in the mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality