Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2009, 10:52 AM

100 posts, read 195,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
Where does it state that GOd has a prerequisite for me going into a temple?
I am not trying to teach in your temple. I want to watch. Nothing dangerous or devious about that.
Where does it state what God says on Temples? He certainly said it in the Old Testament. And if you look at one of my previous posts you can see that they continued to attend after Christ's death.

The problem is that the practice was eventually lost...possibly combined with regular church worship (i.e. Mass). Perhaps, because of that, it is so foreign to us today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Anyone can enter that Baptist church today....including any LDS member that was so inclined. They say "Come!"...not 'come conditionally'.
So do Mormons. Every local chapel says "Vistors Welcome"

Old 01-07-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justamere10 View Post
"not lds"

There are qualifications and prerequisites for everything. I doubt that I'd be allowed to enter a Baptist church and teach gospel doctrine in one of your scheduled classes even though you might consider me morally worthy. You can't take a university class without having the prerequisite classes.

One year from today if you so choose you could walk past the recommend desk and on into an LDS temple.

I agree...I can't be a Baptist Pastor if I wish. If I were to attend a Baptist church I would be required to become a Baptist if I were to become heavily involved with the activities of the church.

Besides, why do you want to enter a Mormon Temple if you dont' believe in what we teach? I don't ever have the urge to go into a building of a religion the may exclude me. What do I care.

I can't walk into FBI headquaters either...that doesn't bother me and I help PAY for that building.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:00 PM

11 posts, read 41,466 times
The family values that Mormons practice is something we should all wish for.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:07 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,375,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by execubob View Post
Suggestions from the Mormons for building a strong family:

Home & Family- Building a Strong Family

Old 02-01-2009, 09:42 PM

63,816 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Like all matter and energy in the universe, the emotional and intellectual structures that we build are constantly transformed by outside forces. Much of our power is wasted in propping up our beliefs, defending them, and convincing others to believe in them so that they might become "permanent."

Specific beliefs can differ widely in content, while coming to similar conclusions about the correct "way of life." Therefore, it seems counterproductive to spend such an inordinate amount of time being concerned with pushing and promoting the specifics of belief that support that way of life. I am convinced that concern over religious beliefs is the biggest source of confusion and misdirection in our quest to understand God and our purpose in being.

Add on top of that the authority structures we humans are so fond of and it just becomes a pit of vipers vying for supremacy, IMO. My God wants no part of such discord and evil for carnal purposes while undermining and relegating to the back burner the desired spiritual evolution and development.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Like all matter and energy in the universe, the emotional and intellectual structures that we build are constantly transformed by outside forces. Much of our power is wasted in propping up our beliefs, defending them, and convincing others to believe in them so that they might become "permanent."

Specific beliefs can differ widely in content, while coming to similar conclusions about the correct "way of life." Therefore, it seems counterproductive to spend such an inordinate amount of time being concerned with pushing and promoting the specifics of belief that support that way of life. I am convinced that concern over religious beliefs is the biggest source of confusion and misdirection in our quest to understand God and our purpose in being.

Add on top of that the authority structures we humans are so fond of and it just becomes a pit of vipers vying for supremacy, IMO. My God wants no part of such discord and evil for carnal purposes while undermining and relegating to the back burner the desired spiritual evolution and development.
I think someone recently commented that this forum is almost all religion and very little philosophy. Well, you appear to have done a good job of changing the basic unit of society since forever, the traditional family, into substance for mere philosophical musings.

You mention "my God". Would you care to describe to us who or what that God is? And what is the end goal of or purpose for that "desired spiritual evolution and development" you mention?

Old 02-02-2009, 09:53 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,128,472 times
Quote:
Really?
You mean like the whole of the family is way more important than your own personal identity and independence?

I think there is a happy medium between what Mormons teach regarding being just a cog in the big wheel of life, and what society these days teaches that it's all about ME.

I would hate to see my children lose their independence and individuality but I will insist they do not become spoiled or selfish as they grow by teaching them respect and appreciation for others and their opinions.

It is better to give than receive but you do not have to sacrifice your spirit to do so.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
Really?
You mean like the whole of the family is way more important than your own personal identity and independence?

I think there is a happy medium between what Mormons teach regarding being just a cog in the big wheel of life, and what society these days teaches that it's all about ME.

I would hate to see my children lose their independence and individuality but I will insist they do not become spoiled or selfish as they grow by teaching them respect and appreciation for others and their opinions.

It is better to give than receive but you do not have to sacrifice your spirit to do so.
I fail to understand your point. Do you think that Mormons teach that an individual should "sacrifice your spirit" or their personal identity and independence in some way? Please explain, thanks.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:06 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,128,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bacano View Post
Um...and it wouldn't have to do with the actual growth of the church?

Mormon Church 1983: approx 3 Million members 2007: Approx 12 million

That is a growth of approx 9 million for any math challenged readers.
And how may new members STAY with the church? How many reside in 3rd world countries? How much are those numbers bloated?
From what i recall, God is not fond of boastfulness or pride. This sounds awfully close to that. Is the whole church feeling that way as well?

Mormons are cult-like only in the aspect that they hide things even from their own members who don't make the cut. You cannot build a religion based on distrust of your members and have others want to join in. Who would want to join a club where you are told right from the start you will not be allowed to hear or know somethings that directly affect you?

Church's (like the government) should be transparent in their functioning.

To do otherwise is to make people suspicious. Who wants their church to treat them as a 12 yr old child who is not allowed to know what really is going on.

Last edited by Taboo2; 02-02-2009 at 10:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality