Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 01:21 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times

Advertisements

"Atheist, why do people with religion offend you so much?"

Because religious people have an frightening penchant for interjecting their religion in my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 01:58 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
Because they won't shut up about it, basically. I also don't appreciate being told that I'm going to suffer eternal torture because I don't subscribe to their beliefs.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:59 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Lame. Does it mean you guys believe in hell

Old 12-04-2009, 02:03 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,032,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Because they won't shut up about it, basically. I also don't appreciate being told that I'm going to suffer eternal torture because I don't subscribe to their beliefs.
Yes, there is definitely a moral superiority complex with the majority of religions, and the worst of em tell you about it as much as they can. Hell is for the unbelievers, the story goes. Odd concept, that buying BS could make you more moral. Belief isn't good or bad.. it just is.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:53 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,505,038 times
http://cache-07.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/39/2009/03/custom_1237830271540_AP99040501896.jpg (broken link)

file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/MICHAE%7E1.COP/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg (broken link)http://www.godhatesfags.com/visual/photos/youwilleatyourbabies.jpg (broken link)
http://www.godhatesfags.com/visual/photos/baracksnack.jpg (broken link)

Old 12-04-2009, 02:56 PM

145 posts, read 224,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post

Hey, I'm a Catholic and that offends me! Some people are religious freaks and they go to the extreme. They're no good.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:35 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,327,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post

I suggest that everyone actually read the passage that that kid is holding up in that sign... Effin messed up...

Old 12-04-2009, 03:57 PM

271 posts, read 657,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
Atheist seem to get really ticked off at people who hold religion ideals. I don't believe in organized religion, and can understand the sillyness behind most of it.

However, why do religious people anger you so much? How have religious people "oppressed you". Please share you stories, thoughts, and suggestions. I just want to know so I can understand the anger behind the Atheist movement lately.

Thank you.
Not all religious people do. The ones that do are the ones that are so narrow-minded and self-centered and not open to anyone else's belief.

I personally am not offended when told I'm going to Hell (which I've told many times and expect to hear it many more times during my life) but I could understand why people could get offended by being threatend with eternal torment just for being human. To put it in a way that most likely all of us can relate to:

Speed limits are technically the law so...you're going 10 mph over the speed limit (just like everybody else) and I as a cop pull you over. I threaten to take you to jail because you broke the law (speeding along with everybody else) and are now a criminal.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:04 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times
First the headline of the thread...'Atheist, why do people with religion offend you so much?'
The world has many religions. I don't know them all.
How many christians have ever come to the defense of another religion different from their own?
Christians use the umbrella of religion to hide beneath.
The thread should be titled: 'Atheist, why do christians offend you so much?'
Going from there...
1. Christians believe they are the crowning glory of the human race.
2. Christians believe that only they possess the truth, anything which contradicts is false.
3. Christians are not open to discussion if their religion is not regarded as the truth. (Talk to the hand!)

Old 12-04-2009, 07:43 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,043,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Some atheists sure seem to go out of their way to be offended, it seems.
I get offended at the overly zealous religious folks from the Christian and Muslim religions who are in your face and narrow minded and I'm what I would call religious in my own way. I don't think atheists go out of there way to be offended.

I don't think overly zealous religious folks have a clue how they come across or even worse they do but don't care....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality