Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 05:20 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Any anger you perceive is all in your mind. Atheists don't generally have a problem with the religious providing we are left alone and not pestered by them.
It depends on what you mean by "pesturing". To you, being pestured is as simple as somebody telling you "merry christmas".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 05:20 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,070,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotted1 View Post
Then you're lucky.

My husband was heckled to the point that he ended up quitting his previous job because his coworker and employer were pushing religion.

And my last job was so anti-religion the previous guy quit because of it.

My co-workers would routinely harass me because I'm a Christian. And no...I did not try to "push" my religion on them. I rarely, if ever brought up the subject to them.

Old 12-16-2008, 05:31 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
It depends on what you mean by "pesturing". To you, being pestured is as simple as somebody telling you "merry christmas".
You think you know me? I say merry christmas to people myself.

Old 12-16-2008, 05:37 PM

4,498 posts, read 6,316,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post

My co-workers would routinely harass me because I'm a Christian. And no...I did not try to "push" my religion on them. I rarely, if ever brought up the subject to them.

If you didn't bring it up, how did they know????

Old 12-16-2008, 07:11 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,171,933 times
Quote:
Wow, you worked with atheists?
So, you guys sit around all day and talk religion or non-religion??
Cool! Where is this job at??

Quote:
Right!

Old 12-16-2008, 07:36 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,687,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
Wow, you worked with atheists?
So, you guys sit around all day and talk religion or non-religion??
Cool! Where is this job at??

In commie Russia?

Old 12-21-2008, 08:15 PM

43 posts, read 104,246 times
do not actually consider myself an Athiest in the truest sense of the word, but I certainly am NOT religious and I often DO get ticked off at religious people.

The reason is that they are always "disapproving" of me in some way. I like to drink alcohol. Where I live you are treated like some kind of monster if you drink. I often cuss. I'm an adult, I'm entitled. I do not like the disapproving looks I get from the religious types when I use colorful language. I do not go to church on Sunday. Again, I get those disapproving looks if I am out working in the yard (in the summer, natch), instead of going to services. It seems that everything I do that is not approved of by the religious folks in the neighborhood get me disapproving looks and people shaking their heads at me.

Also, I find that religious people love to talk about religion in excess and often to the exclusion of all other topics. I am all for freedom of speech, but I am sick of hearing about it. I am sick of being "blessed" every time I sneeze or being wished a "blessed day" by some one. Leave me the hell alone with your dogma, will you? Please?

Sorry.

Anyway. That's why.

20yrsinBranson

LOL your in the Bible belt dont ya know?

Old 12-21-2008, 08:44 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,327,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
Atheist seem to get really ticked off at people who hold religion ideals. I don't believe in organized religion, and can understand the sillyness behind most of it.

However, why do religious people anger you so much? How have religious people "oppressed you". Please share you stories, thoughts, and suggestions. I just want to know so I can understand the anger behind the Atheist movement lately.

Thank you.
For people to have religion doesn't offend me one bit. What offends me is when these people bend society to fit their agenda. I don't care if someone goes to church 5 times a week and donates 75% of their income to said church, I don't care if these people take their kids to church and have grand old Christmas celebrations and midnight mass.

All that is fine and dandy, it is their business, their choice and their way of life and I have no right to demand they change their ways for the sake of myself and my ideals. That being said, I also think that these people have absolutely no right to demand and use politics to force me into submission of their ideals.

we have yet to see any god, any Jesus, any rapture, I have yet to see a man that was made of mud, pieces from Noah's ark, the tablets with the ten commandments inscribed on them or any of this. Thus I don't see why I should have to bend to their ideal.

Again, I don't care what people do in their personal lives, actually I encourage people to attend religious groups if this is what makes their lives whole; I don't care if people live by these ideals if that is what makes their lives whole. But if their ideals do not make MY life whole, I have no intent to live by these ideals and they have absolutely, positively, without a doubt, infinitely no right whatsoever to force me into their ideals or use the power of their religion to abuse the rights of others and forceably submit them to an alien ideal.

So in short, I don't have an axe to grind with religions people - none whatsoever. I do have problems with the systematic abuse of the power of religion for the advance of their own agenda and aggrandizement.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:09 PM

1,385 posts, read 3,006,886 times
Quote:
I'm not the one calling people stupid, or less intelligent. Or implying that their belief system is antiquated or outdated.
Quote:
Actually yeah--atheism is a cancer of sorts.

If you continue to be hard-headed and and ignore God you will burn in hell. The good news is that you don't have to.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:15 PM

1,385 posts, read 3,006,886 times
Hey if you have your religion and makes you feel happier, well more power to you.
But I don't like when overtly religious people constantly claim to have all the answers and tell me I'm going to hell for not having the exact beliefs that they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality