Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 08:39 AM

2 posts, read 1,627 times

Advertisements

I was raised by my mothers side of the family, as a Baptist Christian. Then as a young child after my father gained custody of me I was raised in a very strict Muslim household. As an adult I grew more & more confused with religion as a whole & began separating myself from it. But there is no doubt in my mind that there is a God. Because of feeling unfulfilled spiritually as a young adult, I began researching & experimenting with different religions until one felt real, natural and like the ultimate truth. Anytime I would get close to that feeling something would be off to me. Like Id question or disapprove of some ideals or ethics of that certain religion. After much frustration I would seek council from different religious/spiritual leaders & they would tell me that "Im letting my mind lead my spirituality & instead I should use my heart." Perhaps this is true but I just want the truth & I want to understand the truth. With all of the different religions in the world, how do we know which is the truth? How do we put so much trust in the prophets to tell the whole truth?
I do believe in God 100% & that God is the creator of all & He is everywhere. I believe Him to be faceless & bodyless. I believe that He is pure spirit. I believe that if I believe in Him, live life righteously w/ love, compassion & live as His servant I may enter the kingdom of heaven, whatever that may be. I also believe that after this life, we will all be taken aback at how wrong we all were about Him. Religion confuses me. I mean no disrespect to any religions. Im just lost. What does this sound like? Please help me understand.

Last edited by Leahsantiaga; 09-18-2016 at 09:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2016, 09:24 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Why do you require a label for your beliefs? You stated them quite elegantly:

Quote:
I do believe in God 100% & that God is the creator of all & He is everywhere. I believe Him to be faceless & bodyless. I believe that He is pure spirit. I believe that if I believe in Him, live life righteously w/ love, compassion & live as His servant I may enter the kingdom of heaven, whatever that may be.
If you need to call yourself something that feels accurate, try "Believer."

Welcome to the forum.

Old 09-18-2016, 09:26 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,443,944 times
You need no label or any need to explain.

Old 09-18-2016, 10:41 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
If you absolutely must give yourself a label, deist or theist will do. You might also check out unitarian/universalism, pantheism, vedanta, yoga, or zen buddhism to see if any of those ideas appeal to you and you want some kind of community with like-minded folks.

I'd be careful of the word "believer", because in some contexts, your listeners might assume that you believe in what they believe in.

Old 09-18-2016, 10:51 AM

15,862 posts, read 6,325,302 times
Free

Old 09-18-2016, 11:07 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,260,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leahsantiaga View Post
Im just lost. What does this sound like? Please help me understand.

It's your personal spiritual journey. Follow what resonates with you and forget the rest.

Since it's your personal journey there is no need to prove or explain what you personally believe to anyone unless you want to.

Spiritual development is a lifetime journey. It will evolve as you grow and evolve. Your spiritual development will no doubt evolve the more you engage in deep personal introspection, self-reflection, exploration, education, all leading to increased wisdom and knowledge.

Walk the path that works for you. Keep in mind it's really no one's business either, unless you want it to be.

Last edited by Matadora; 09-18-2016 at 11:33 AM..

Old 09-18-2016, 11:28 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:
What does this sound like? Please help me understand.
We used to say "Seeker," and that probably applies well if you want a "label." Just a notion, but Religioustolerance.org gives some fair descriptions of a wide range of religions which might serve as basis for further investigation. Belief-o-matic has a quiz to determine what you might want to look into, but considering your background in Islam, you might want to read My Neighbor's Faith: Belief-O-Matic and Me | Huffington Post before taking it.

I do feel that it is appropriate to find a faith tradition that works for you and the community involved with that.

Old 09-18-2016, 12:25 PM

19,036 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
If you absolutely must give yourself a label, deist or theist will do. You might also check out unitarian/universalism, pantheism, vedanta, yoga, or zen buddhism to see if any of those ideas appeal to you and you want some kind of community with like-minded folks.

I'd be careful of the word "believer", because in some contexts, your listeners might assume that you believe in what they believe in.

Ditto. Very good. They WILL presume OP shares THEIR faith. That's human.

Old 09-18-2016, 12:27 PM

19,036 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
We used to say "Seeker," and that probably applies well if you want a "label." Just a notion, but Religioustolerance.org gives some fair descriptions of a wide range of religions which might serve as basis for further investigation. Belief-o-matic has a quiz to determine what you might want to look into, but considering your background in Islam, you might want to read My Neighbor's Faith: Belief-O-Matic and Me | Huffington Post before taking it.

I do feel that it is appropriate to find a faith tradition that works for you and the community involved with that.
Seeker is a Self that seeks the truth. By no means is it a theist or deist. As there is no god in humane meaning. This is the truth.

Old 09-18-2016, 01:03 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Quote:
I was raised by my mothers side of the family, as a Baptist Christian. Then as a young child after my father gained custody of me I was raised in a very strict Muslim household. As an adult I grew more & more confused with religion as a whole & began separating myself from it. But there is no doubt in my mind that there is a God. Because of feeling unfulfilled spiritually as a young adult, I began researching & experimenting with different religions until one felt real, natural and like the ultimate truth. Anytime I would get close to that feeling something would be off to me. Like Id question or disapprove of some ideals or ethics of that certain religion. After much frustration I would seek council from different religious/spiritual leaders & they would tell me that "Im letting my mind lead my spirituality & instead I should use my heart." Perhaps this is true but I just want the truth & I want to understand the truth. With all of the different religions in the world, how do we know which is the truth? How do we put so much trust in the prophets to tell the whole truth?
I do believe in God 100% & that God is the creator of all & He is everywhere. I believe Him to be faceless & bodyless. I believe that He is pure spirit. I believe that if I believe in Him, live life righteously w/ love, compassion & live as His servant I may enter the kingdom of heaven, whatever that may be. I also believe that after this life, we will all be taken aback at how wrong we all were about Him. Religion confuses me. I mean no disrespect to any religions. Im just lost. What does this sound like? Please help me understand.
I've been going with the label of "heathen" lately. It works for me.

a person who does not belong to a widely held religion (especially one who is not a Christian, Jew, or Muslim) as regarded by those who do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality