Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 05:12 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,620,342 times

Advertisements

As George Carlin has pointed out, Moses received the stone tablets known as the Ten Commandments when no one else was around. This brings up a few interesting questions. First of all, why do we always have to have a middleman whenever God is presenting something to the human race? There is not a single instance in which God directly interacts with the general public, humanity is always represented by a kind of agent, not unlike a Personal Manager. The Bible states that Moses was instructed to climb Mount Sinai and that he did and God presented him with two stone tablets which had the Ten Commandments already written into the stone. Moses carefully walked back down to his people (how would it look if God gave you a couple of stone tablets and you dropped one and broke it?). Anyway, Moses presented these stone tablets to the men, women and groupies when he returned and the rest is history. First of all, it's a shame that these stone tablets no longer exist. I would love to see a forensic examination of the letters under a microscope to determine if tools were used. Also, many people believe that the Ten Commandments are very similar to earlier religious traditions. As an atheist I don't believe that anyone ever received a publication directly from God. There are some valuable moral lessons in the Ten Commandments but I believe they are the work of man. What is your opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 05:51 PM

783 posts, read 1,326,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
There is not a single instance in which God directly interacts with the general public, humanity is always represented by a kind of agent, not unlike a Personal Manager.
Christ Jesus is God Incarnate (God clothed in flesh).

Old 01-17-2009, 08:46 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,685,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
.... how would it look if God gave you a couple of stone tablets and you dropped one and broke it?). ....
In the old movie "History of the World", Mel Brooks (Moses) was given 15 commandments in 3 tablets - he dropped one tablet and broke it, and then proclaimed he had 10 commandments. It could have happened.

I cannot believe "god's" constitution seems like a hastily-written 10 liner for dummies.

Also an entertaining link: http://web.morons.org/feature/useless-commandments.jsp (broken link)

Last edited by calmdude; 01-17-2009 at 08:54 PM.. Reason: added link

Old 01-17-2009, 08:52 PM

63,789 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
In the old movie "History of the World", Mel Brooks (Moses) was given 15 commandments in 3 tablets - he dropped one tablet and broke it, and then proclaimed he had 10 commandments. It could have happened.

I cannot believe "god's" constitution seems like a hastily-written 10 liner for dummies.
I thought that movie was hilarious. You seem not to understand the degree of primitive mentality that existed at that time . . . barely more than very bright animals. You would expect a treatise written using Black's Law Dictionary?

Old 01-17-2009, 08:57 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,685,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I thought that movie was hilarious. You seem not to understand the degree of primitive mentality that existed at that time . . . barely more than very bright animals. You would expect a treatise written using Black's Law Dictionary?
Yes -it was a fun movie.
Re Law dictionary - a simple "be good" could also have sufficed. Problem is people also look at what god does. Let us take thou shall not kill. God makes us in a way (regardless of supposed free will) such that we kill (and he knows it beforehand); he does not seem to be following a key commandment of his own. Anyway, the primitive mentality also does not explain the huge books some religions say come down directly from god....

Old 01-17-2009, 11:24 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,805,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt & Light View Post
Christ Jesus is God Incarnate (God clothed in flesh).
Can you provide some specific Bible verses to back up this claim?

Old 01-17-2009, 11:44 PM

783 posts, read 1,326,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Can you provide some specific Bible verses to back up this claim?
Sure, a good place to start is in John’s Gospel account.
John 1: 1-5
Quote:
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made. 4 In him was life,1 and the life was the light of men. 5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.
Here “the Word” is referring to Christ Jesus.

John 1: 14-18
Quote:
14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth. 15 (John bore witness about him, and cried out, “This was he of whom I said, ‘He who comes after me ranks before me, because he was before me.’ ”) 16 And from his fullness we have all received, grace upon grace. 17 For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. 18 No one has ever seen God; the only God,4 who is at the Father’s side,5 he has made him known.
"And the Word became flesh" = God Incarnate

Old 01-17-2009, 11:48 PM

63,789 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
Yes -it was a fun movie.
Re Law dictionary - a simple "be good" could also have sufficed. Problem is people also look at what god does. Let us take thou shall not kill. God makes us in a way (regardless of supposed free will) such that we kill (and he knows it beforehand); he does not seem to be following a key commandment of his own. Anyway, the primitive mentality also does not explain the huge books some religions say come down directly from god....
There are too many premises in your remarks to deal with them all . . . none of which are necessary anyway. Nothing in our universe is created fully mature and everything evolves. What is required at early stages is not necessarily required at later ones. Free will (or choice) is absolutely the main culprit . . . because we have not yet evolved sufficiently to fully "overcome" our inner drives completely. Much of that failure can be attributed to lack of effort . . . belief only nonsense . . . and the shear difficulty of it.

You misunderstand "inspiration" . . . it is NOT dictation and MUST be filtered through the mentality that receives it . . . it is unavoidable.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:48 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,805,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt & Light View Post
Sure, a good place to start is in John’s Gospel account.
John 1: 1-5

Here “the Word” is referring to Christ Jesus.

John 1: 14-18

"And the Word became flesh" = God Incarnate
Okay, thanks.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:52 PM

1,186 posts, read 2,250,306 times
verses from the Quran mentioning the tablets of Musa

150 And when Musa returned to his people, wrathful (and) in violent grief, he said: Evil is it that you have done after me; did you turn away from the bidding of your Lord? And he threw down the tablets and seized his brother by the head, dragging him towards him. He said: Son of my mother! surely the people reckoned me weak and had well-nigh slain me, therefore make not the enemies to rejoice over me and count me not among the unjust people.

151 He said: My Lord! forgive me and my brother and cause us to enter into Thy mercy, and Thou art the most Merciful of the merciful ones.

152 (As for) those who took the calf (for a god), surely wrath from their Lord and disgrace in this world's life shall overtake them, and thus do We recompense the devisers of lies.

153 And (as to) those who do evil deeds, then repent after that and believe, your Lord after that is most surely Forgiving, Merciful.

154 And when Musa's anger calmed down he took up the tablets, and in the writing thereof was guidance and mercy for those who fear for the sake of their Lord.

155 And Musa chose out of his people seventy men for Our appointment; so when the earthquake overtook them, he said: My Lord! if Thou hadst pleased, Thou hadst destroyed them before and myself (too); wilt Thou destroy us for what the fools among us have done? It is naught but Thy trial, Thou makest err with it whom Thou pleasest and guidest whom Thou pleasest: Thou art our Guardian, therefore forgive us and have mercy on us, and Thou art the best of the forgivers.

156 And ordain for us good in this world's life and m the hereafter, for surely we turn to Thee. He said: (As for) My chastisement, I will afflict with it whom I please, and My mercy encompasses all things; so I will ordain it (specially) for those who guard (against evil) and pay the poor-rate, and those who believe in Our communications.

157 Those who follow the Messenger-Prophet, the Ummi, whom they find written down with them in the Taurat and the Injeel (who) enjoins them good and forbids them evil, and makes lawful to them the good things and makes unlawful to them impure things, and removes from them their burden and the shackles which were upon them; so (as for) those who believe in him and honor him and help him, and follow the light which has been sent down with him, these it is that are the successful.

158 Say: O people! surely I am the Messenger of Allah to you all, of Him Whose is the kingdom of the heavens and the earth there is no god but He; He brings to life and causes to die therefore believe in Allah and His messenger, the Ummi Prophet who believes in Allah and His words, and follow him so that you may walk in the right way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality