Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2009, 09:38 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,133,954 times

Advertisements

How's it going people? Hopefully this topic will transcend religious boundaries and we can all just contribute to it together.

I want to do some good for my community and for the other people. Lately I feel like my life has become too self-centered. I want to help people, I want to make people smile, I want to do some good for the Earth.

I do not have enough money to donate, so I want to take action myself. I want to create some good karma for myself by helping others, and helping the Earth.

So what can I do? What can we all do? What are some things that all of us can do to be compassionate and helpful? As religious and spiritual people, compassion, generousity and selflessness should be practiced by all of us, regardless of our faith.

Ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 11:33 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,133,954 times
Okay i'll try to start this up. Here are some things I do:

I try to be very kind of compassionate to the homeless. Sometimes I give a little money to them when I can, if they look genuinely down and out. And I always respect them and never look down upon them at all.

I do not kill any living creatures, unless used for food, or if they are poisonous and in my home.

I try to recycle, and be as kind to the environment and Earth as I can.

I am not a vegetarian anymore. But I only eat a small amount of meat, to be compassionate to animals.

I try to smile and be kind to people to spread a good energy.

Okay, so what else can we all do? Lets share ideas here. When it comes to religion I think each and every one of us should walk the walk and not just talk the talk. And we might argue a lot, But surely, being compassionate, living spiritually and making the world a better place is part of almost every path and a common unity we all share.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:46 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,024,146 times
One of the best thing we can do for others it to share a smile when someone looks sad. share a hug when someone is in need. share a laugh with someone who is down. Each time you smile, hold a door open, carry someones things or even just sit with someone, you are doing that person and yourself a world of good. That's all God asks of us. Share love, compassion, trust, understanding and forgiveness. They are all free. you get what you give and it will mean more to you than any material thing.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:04 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,657,736 times
Plant a tree and encourage others to do the same, even if it's only one tree, if each and every person were to plant just one tree, think what that would do for the environment and it's not that expensive to do it. The other thing, if you're concerned about the homeless, take one day out of the week and help out at a soup kitchen, it costs you nothing but your time, spend time with your children or grandchildren and read to them and who knows one day that tree that you planted will be big enough for your grandchildren or great-grandchildren to play under or sit and read books under, something for the future..

Old 04-02-2009, 04:37 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,520,198 times
where i live, communities appear perfectly managed and organized, yet millions of people are just increasingly excluded from any meaningful participation in those communities ...

the sense of belonging is wearing thin, imho.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:43 AM

3,814 posts, read 6,784,755 times
I'm going to donate a little money to my local hamitat for humanity. I saw a sign in my local community that they are not getting the funding that they need, so I was inspired to take some action.

I'm also trying to shop locally (allthough sometimes it's challenging due to higher prices) but I want to support my "mom and pop" stores when I can.

But most (in the words of Ghandi) the greatest gift I can give to humanity is to be the change I want to see. It's not so much what we do, it's who we are that makes the difference. When we are peaceful in our own hearts, that contributes to the global consciousness. When we live in the present, we cannot be stressful or out of balance, we live each moment to it's fullest and therefore the past cannot affect us and the future has no power over us.

That's how I see it anyway.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:55 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,645,971 times
Whatever you do, do it quietly and don't expect anything in return.

Old 11-29-2019, 11:34 AM

1,378 posts, read 393,078 times
https://pics3.city-data.com/images/ootn2.png

I guess we all have a gift from God & we should use that to help people who are lacking in that gift. Find people online who are reaching out & seeking answers, & give them the answers they seek. I've spent most of my life doing that & sometimes I have saved lives that way.

Old 11-30-2019, 06:46 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,015,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
How's it going people? Hopefully this topic will transcend religious boundaries and we can all just contribute to it together.

I want to do some good for my community and for the other people. Lately I feel like my life has become too self-centered. I want to help people, I want to make people smile, I want to do some good for the Earth.

I do not have enough money to donate, so I want to take action myself. I want to create some good karma for myself by helping others, and helping the Earth.

So what can I do? What can we all do? What are some things that all of us can do to be compassionate and helpful? As religious and spiritual people, compassion, generousity and selflessness should be practiced by all of us, regardless of our faith.

Ideas?
My suggestion? Go find a nice Baptist church and get involved. I don't mean a Fundamentalist Baptist. If they use a KJV stay away.

Go find a good Baptist church, get involved, and volunteer for stuff like when they serve in the local shelter or soup kitchen. Donate when they have other needs.

Old 11-30-2019, 10:29 AM

50,798 posts, read 24,310,427 times
My suggestion? Get on your computer and search volunteer opportunities for your area. There are many fine organizations where you can get involved, and some where -- fortunately -- even though the sponsoring organization may be religious they have the consideration of conducting their public service programs without pushing their religion. Years ago I volunteered for several years with RUMP, the Refugees Unaccompanied Minor's Program sponsored by the Catholic Diocese of Richmond. It totally respected the cultures and religions of the refugees. There are such programs out there, and many other programs that are not church based and without ulterior motives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality