Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 08:03 PM

63,814 posts, read 40,087,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
I agree. When I look at some of the kids today, I see a lot of them with a little sign on their forhead: "vacant...room for rent".
Gotta really wonder if they are evolving totally backwards...Bud
Given the continued existence of bible literalists . . . I question if many of us EVER evolved from 2000 BC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 08:20 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,520,736 times
hope would have another ring to it. not too long ago. not too long..

Old 05-04-2009, 10:52 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,055,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
A well dressed, prettied-up philosophy always sells well, esp. when it promises an easier fantasy after-life. The truth is usually a bit harder to take, but in the end, more accumulative and constructive of a moral and upstanding character.
Religion (promise of non existent afterlife) is very much like the NYSE. Somehow, they both seem to be able to take your money and run or be not really accountable for outcomes.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:09 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,134,161 times
Why would you think that we have stopped evolving? For what reason would this make any sense? I would say evolution is not something that ever stops, it's eternal and a fundamental part of the universe.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:34 AM

79 posts, read 226,435 times
I believe we are evolving. Or at least, we should be. Collectively we've shrugged off inner growth & the pursuit of knowledge for sensory stimuli which greatly inhibits our ability to continue to evolve.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:05 AM

804 posts, read 1,964,889 times
Our tools and culture are progressing faster than before. A decade of change now is far more drastic than a decade of change was 100+ years ago.

Mentally though, we seem to have been affected by corrupted education and chemical toxins. Those are not new, but we're getting hit from all sides now in ways that previous generations did not have. Their lives may have been difficult without modern "conveniences", but they also lacked many of the problems we now have.

Old 05-15-2009, 03:31 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times
Default Look! Up in the sky! It's Superman!

Of course the facilitators of Evolution, i.e.: the continuation of chance mutations of our DNA, coupled with the resulting testing of the new genotype/phenotype against the outside world conditions, cannot ever stop. If, for instance, we started a generational branch within the humanoid tree, with say a new neuronal connection that bumped average IQ up to, oh let's say, 250, it would no doubt be maintained.

If we saw a better eyesight system, with greater acuity, we'd no doubt see that one promoted. Etc.

It's just that, in our present form, we absolve the system of a need for functional improvements, taking over with technology instead. Hardly the way to promote genotypic improvement. But even that will fall under the scope of technology soon enough when we get to tinkering with our genotypes en masse.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Of course the facilitators of Evolution, i.e.: the continuation of chance mutations of our DNA, coupled with the resulting testing of the new genotype/phenotype against the outside world conditions, cannot ever stop. If, for instance, we started a generational branch within the humanoid tree, with say a new neuronal connection that bumped average IQ up to, oh let's say, 250, it would no doubt be maintained.

If we saw a better eyesight system, with greater acuity, we'd no doubt see that one promoted. Etc.

It's just that, in our present form, we absolve the system of a need for functional improvements, taking over with technology instead. Hardly the way to promote genotypic improvement. But even that will fall under the scope of technology soon enough when we get to tinkering with our genotypes en masse.

where do i need to apply to have my iq bumped up? pronto?

Old 05-15-2009, 08:37 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,862,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdonekings View Post
are we be able to travel at the speed of light in the near future?
are we able to make artificial intelligent robots that will match our intelligence?
and lastly are we still evolving or we have utterly stopped?
Well, I have no udder, so I have not stopped, nor started, that way, but...from time to time, I do utter, so, I suspect I may still be evolving in that direction. sometimes when I utter, I may also be devolving, as I have been known to digress upon occassion. I have also egressed once or twice, at least. Transgression is also not beyond my abilities.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Well, I have no udder, so I have not stopped, nor started, that way, but...from time to time, I do utter, so, I suspect I may still be evolving in that direction. sometimes when I utter, I may also be devolving, as I have been known to digress upon occassion. I have also egressed once or twice, at least. Transgression is also not beyond my abilities.
such an admirable aggression though! indomitable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality