Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 09:31 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,685,638 times

Advertisements

Georgetown/On Faith: Faith, Politics and Swine Flu in the Middle East - On Faith at washingtonpost.com was posted in WashPost. It talks about some radical religious leaders in both Islamic and Jewish faiths hinting that they were correct in not eating pork. Some muslims (in a health symposium) have claimed that the flu proves god words to them! The acting ultra-orthodox Israeli Health minister wanted the flu to be renamed to Mexican flu (this is the same guy who had the photo of a woman photoshopped out before its public release). The renaming of the flu was because the name swine flu could not be kosher. Meanwhile the Egyptian government has ordered the slaughter of 300,000 pigs (Swine Flu: Egypt's Plan To Kill Pigs Ridiculed) even though pigs have nothing to do with its spreading. Christians in Egypt are unhappy since most pigs are raised by them.

It is not surprising to see the radical religious machinery at work and use the flu as an opportunity to elevate their religion(s).

A related question is that if pigs are really so dirty, will these people refuse to get innoculated against swine flu because the shots will have a strain of the flu itself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 12:41 AM

1,216 posts, read 2,263,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
Georgetown/On Faith: Faith, Politics and Swine Flu in the Middle East - On Faith at washingtonpost.com was posted in WashPost. It talks about some radical religious leaders in both Islamic and Jewish faiths hinting that they were correct in not eating pork. Some muslims (in a health symposium) have claimed that the flu proves god words to them! The acting ultra-orthodox Israeli Health minister wanted the flu to be renamed to Mexican flu (this is the same guy who had the photo of a woman photoshopped out before its public release). The renaming of the flu was because the name swine flu could not be kosher. Meanwhile the Egyptian government has ordered the slaughter of 300,000 pigs (Swine Flu: Egypt's Plan To Kill Pigs Ridiculed) even though pigs have nothing to do with its spreading. Christians in Egypt are unhappy since most pigs are raised by them.

It is not surprising to see the radical religious machinery at work and use the flu as an opportunity to elevate their religion(s).

A related question is that if pigs are really so dirty, will these people refuse to get innoculated against swine flu because the shots will have a strain of the flu itself?
i think that Egyptian government has ordered the slaughter of many cows when the decease spreaded among them , the same was happened with birds as will because of flu of birds

through 1500 years christians lived beside muslims and eating pork without any objections from any muslims (even the radical among them)

by the way regardless of this flu , science confirmed that eating porks is unhealthy

Old 05-04-2009, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwill View Post
i think that Egyptian government has ordered the slaughter of many cows when the decease spreaded among them , the same was happened with birds as will because of flu of birds

through 1500 years christians lived beside muslims and eating pork without any objections from any muslims (even the radical among them)

by the way regardless of this flu , science confirmed that eating porks is unhealthy
Eating any kind of meat without proper preparation is unhealthy.

In this case, a few people from 2 religions were happily confirming that their religion was correct in telling people to not eat pork. They conveniently forget that other meats, if not prepared properly, are also unhealthy. Remember, we are only talking about the radicals here. I am almost sure some hindu radical also had a big smile on his face when the mad cow disease broke out.

This link says Egyptian govt has ordered 300,000 pigs killed.
Swine flu: Egypt orders cull of all pig herds - Telegraph

Again, if swines are so dirty, it will be interesting to see if they will accept innoculation ( a variant of swine flu) - thereby obeying their religion but ignoring science.

Last edited by calmdude; 05-04-2009 at 07:39 AM..

Old 05-04-2009, 08:41 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,978,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwill View Post

Too bad we don't have that kind of Muslim leading the Muslim world today.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:47 AM

The only countries (I am aware of) where the consumption of a certain meat is banned are a few muslim ones in the middle east. Tolerance -esepcially in their own countries - runs low. I know some ulta-orthodox jews tried to ban pork sales in some places but it was overturned (BBC NEWS | Middle East | Israeli cities free to sell pork). They only other major meat-revulsion based on religion I can think of is Hindus not eating beef. But, in India, non-hindus are allowed to have beef - in fact, i had a nice juicy steak when i was there in '08.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:14 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,023,019 times
What our epidemiologists have not been aware of is that these flu pandemics, the small ones, are precursors to larger ones. The bird flu virus was the precursor to this one. It is a matter of preparing, not that we have done this, it is a matter of the global transport mechanisms; whether they are birds or whether they are swine or whether they are people, [they] carry viruses with them. Birds that are migratory have provided the means to unify the dispersal system around the world in rapid manner making organisms ready and receptive to receive these new pathogens.

It is a seeding, so to speak, where the groundwork is done by early forms of the pandemic virus leading the way to much more deadly viruses in the future and truly there is very little preparation that our disease centers can do to prevent the onset of new viruses. They are always behind the curve, after the fact, and this will assist those individuals who survive from viruses that existed before. But it is no preparation for those which are new and which have recombined into new viral forms.

These are naturally developing and occurring events. They are most deadly because of the immense global population of our world. As well, these were not fomented or developed by what you might call an evil force or an evil energy. This is simply the outworking of the mechanics of an economy, ecology and environmental factors plus the energetic of your mother earth.

If you want to learn to overcome ALL illnesses and diseases, raise your spirituality. Shine your light from within and handle things in a spiritual manner.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
What our epidemiologists have not been aware of is that these flu pandemics, the small ones, are precursors to larger ones. The bird flu virus was the precursor to this one. It is a matter of preparing, not that we have done this, it is a matter of the global transport mechanisms; whether they are birds or whether they are swine or whether they are people, [they] carry viruses with them. Birds that are migratory have provided the means to unify the dispersal system around the world in rapid manner making organisms ready and receptive to receive these new pathogens.

It is a seeding, so to speak, where the groundwork is done by early forms of the pandemic virus leading the way to much more deadly viruses in the future and truly there is very little preparation that our disease centers can do to prevent the onset of new viruses. They are always behind the curve, after the fact, and this will assist those individuals who survive from viruses that existed before. But it is no preparation for those which are new and which have recombined into new viral forms.

These are naturally developing and occurring events. They are most deadly because of the immense global population of our world. As well, these were not fomented or developed by what you might call an evil force or an evil energy. This is simply the outworking of the mechanics of an economy, ecology and environmental factors plus the energetic of your mother earth.

If you want to learn to overcome ALL illnesses and diseases, raise your spirituality. Shine your light from within and handle things in a spiritual manner.
Well, the spirituality thingy seems to be a cure-all for many things and that is a personal opinion. However, what I was pointing out was
(a) the use of swine flu by some to validate 2 different religions (see the irony here)
(b) if the life of these fanatics were in danger, would they use the same swine flu-based "dirty" innoculations. This will be interesting to see if this happens. It would be similar to praying to god to heal a child but not taking the child to a doctor.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:49 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,023,019 times
Oops. Sorry. Didn't mean to take it out of context.

I do however, believe if people would turn their lives to God that these things can be overcome without fear. I'm actually not in the least concerned with it as most people are and while I have concern for others who are in the situation, I'll not dwell on it to bring it into my life. I keep them in my prayers.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
...I do however, believe if people would turn their lives to God that these things can be overcome without fear. I'm actually not in the least concerned with it as most people are and while I have concern for others who are in the situation, I'll not dwell on it to bring it into my life. I keep them in my prayers.
There seemed to be an over-reaction to the flu in the media - even when there was little information. I think the WHO also over-reacted. As we are finding out more, restrictions and fear is being lowered (CDC eases swine flu guidelines for schools - Living - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/living/story/1033543.html - broken link)) by CDC . I agree with you - no use dwelling on it too much.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:02 PM

67 posts, read 103,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
There seemed to be an over-reaction to the flu in the media - even when there was little information. I think the WHO also over-reacted. As we are finding out more, restrictions and fear is being lowered (CDC eases swine flu guidelines for schools - Living - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/living/story/1033543.html - broken link)) by CDC . I agree with you - no use dwelling on it too much.
I would say do not dwell on negative influence and never make nests in your mind, but sometimes i have to shout in order for those with hearing problems to hear me and all this shouting goes against my nature.

some people for example would think that having the ability to see danger, let us say a year before it happens would have a gift from God, speaking for myself i would have to say when all you can see is bad and getting worse, do you tell them and try and warn them or not?. i will copy some of my posts off a football forum.

know some people think i am a sandwich short of a picnic, but some time ago i posted about this virus. A virus will adapt mutate and merge with another virus if it can better itself and now we have the swine flu. Bird flu can mix with human influenza virus

There is currently insufficient evidence to understand the extent to which the cases are firmly linked say the various health organisations

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/...e-outbreak.html

In less than four years i think we are going to see a global pandemic of a untreatable highly virulent variant. most victims of the so-called Spanish flu that wiped out about 50million people after the First World War were men and women in their prime.

The Mexican government began a mass immunisation programme, but abandoned it on Friday after it was acknowledged that the vaccines offered no protection against the new killer virus.

Well it just about knocks the edge off Blues losing today, i told you over a year ago and this time i hope i am wrong.

The time to be worry and be concerned is when you have evidence, not before.
The time to take precautions is when a problem is identified and proven.

well in the case of the next mutation by the time you have proof it will be to late and if i am wrong i will never post anywhere ever again and i am saying less than four years

I would have to say if i can see a problem a year to two years before it occurs and the shrinks give me drugs which if i took them i would be dribbling in a corner unable to speak or type well then i reckon they should take the drugs and i should be doing there job.

I am as thick as two short planks compared to these guys in ability and just about everything else but i do not forget things that easily and when i proof it to them they still refuse to accept it.

The depression well in advance The Gold i said would be the only thing of value and even when i posted that if people had of bought Gold they would have made a killing, The virus and what would happen within five years, now reduced to four if this is not already the killer strain, The food shortages will happen and Tony Blair has the potential to become the most dangerous man on this planet simply because he really is a complete lunatic. it is just like the manic preacher said, just do em, they are just like cattle.

People keep telling me that knowledge is power, i say that in my case ignorance is bliss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality