Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 10:31 PM

783 posts, read 1,326,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Boswell is a well known well-respected scholar- an historian and a language expert. His works are cited by just about every other author on this topic. Robinson is just a Bishop. If you think Robinson has even 1000th of the knowledge that Boswell has on this topic, then you haven't read any of his work. It's incredibly well researched over a long period of time.

I assume your reference to Robinson was about that silly 2 minute youtube clip posted in the Bible and Homosexuality thread in the Christian forum.
While many do cite Boswell’s work it is not always in a positive light. Some have studied his work and pointed out many of his gaps and errors. After all he is an apologist for the homosexual lifestyle; what would one expect to find in his “work”. I’m certainly not comparing Robinson & Boswell on an intellectual level, rather on their personal agenda of supporting and justifying the homosexual lifestyle to God’s word.

Side note:
Hey ptsum, isn’t it time for you to jump in and start slashing? After all there’s some truth being spoken here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 11:16 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,387,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt & Light View Post
While many do cite Boswell’s work it is not always in a positive light. Some have studied his work and pointed out many of his gaps and errors. After all he is an apologist for the homosexual lifestyle; what would one expect to find in his “work”. I’m certainly not comparing Robinson & Boswell on an intellectual level, rather on their personal agenda of supporting and justifying the homosexual lifestyle to God’s word.

Side note:
Hey ptsum, isn’t it time for you to jump in and start slashing? After all there’s some truth being spoken here.
Yes, I've read some of the conservative apologist authors and reviews about Boswell's work. (It's important to know what the conservative authors write as well) Some of those reviewers obviously haven't even read his work, or read it thoroughly. Most authors just can't come anywhere near matching him for knowledge on the subject, and others just keep ignoring anything that doesn't agree with their own anti-homosexual bias and others just keep spouting the same old church party line.

I've yet to see an intelligent argument against his work that goes into anywhere near as much depth as he does or from anyone who has as much expertise in the original languages or early and later christian history, letters by early church fathers, manuscript history etc etc.

PS: Homosexuality, (for umpteenth time), is NOT a "lifestyle" anymore than hetrosexuality is a "lifestyle", or a trait like left-handedness is a "lifestyle".

Condemning homosexuals in general because of a handful of references to some specific same-sex sexual acts in the Bible (mostly in the context of idolatry), is like condemning ALL heterosexuals because of specific acts committed by some heterosexual people (like heterosexual sex acts by temple prostitutes). Or like condemning ALL left-handed people as thieves because some people used their left hand when they stole something.

Sexual orientation is NOT just about same-sex sex acts or sexual behaviour.

All gay people are NOT the same, just as heterosexuals are not all the same, or just as all Christians are not the same.

Some people need to educate themselves what homosexuality IS, before they condemn it.

The fact is, if anyone hasn't even read Boswell's work, then in my opinion, they can't claim to have researched this topic seriously or in any depth.

Last edited by Ceist; 05-28-2009 at 11:34 PM..

Old 05-29-2009, 12:28 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
Okay this isn't really another gay thread. I don't want scriptures or anything like that. I just can't help but wonder what some of you are so afraid of when it comes to gay marriage? Why is that such a scarey concept to most Christians and anyone else so against it? What exactly do you think will happen if one day gay folks are allowed to take vows?
Some of you? Perhaps it's a good number of Gay people who are afraid of Gay marriage, and rightly so. Good-looking straight men and women frequenting the Gay bars and online sites looking for the unsuspecting to marry, divorce, and ride off into the sunset with the loot. Just like the straight good-looking gold diggers going after straight men.

If the Christians really want to punish Gay people, they'll do everything in their power to make Gay marriage a reality. And then they can sit back and laugh and laugh and laugh!

We all know lawyers have suffered during this recession, many unemployed, and IMO it's the lawyers who want this measure to pass more than Gay people. They need the business. And if legalized, there'll be more business than they can handle.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:36 AM

3,491 posts, read 8,582,814 times
Something to think about for those who say its against the laws of nature:

Berlin, Germany -- A German zoo says a pair of gay male penguins are raising a chick from an egg abandoned by its parents.

Bremerhaven zoo veterinarian Joachim Schoene says the egg was placed in the male penguins' nest after its parents rejected it in late April. The males incubated it for some 30 days before it hatched and have continued to care for it. The chick's gender is not yet known.

Schoene said the male birds, named Z and Vielpunkt, are one of three same-sex pairs among the zoo's 20 Humboldt penguins that have attempted to mate.

Homosexual behavior has been documented in many animal species.

The zoo said in a statement on its Web site Thursday that "sex and coupling in our world don't always have something to do with reproduction."

It appears that homosexuality appears in all mammals including humans so its a part of nature. I guess the penguins are going to hell too...he he

Old 06-05-2009, 08:48 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,649,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
I failed to add, however, NOT all Christians reason like that or even have an issue with the subject of gay marriage. Of course, they are NOT True Christians™ in some other Christians' book.

LOL@ at me having to take a second look to make sure I was NOT posting in the Christianity forum.
LOL I couldn't rep you for that post. I too always have to look to see where I'm posting, so I don't get one of those pesky warnings from a mod.

In my opinion, denying same sex couples the right to marry is one of the few things that Christians feel they can still in the modern world. It is the perfect scenario for them, they can judge and preach to others outside their own group, as according to them you can't be homosexual and Christian at the same time.

They can't harp on adultery, divorce or teen moms out of wedlock. All of those those things were once shameful but now are considered acceptable and are common practice by many Christians. Not much left to go after but gay people. The irony is that the Christians no longer seem to hold marriage sacred yet some how allowing same sex marriage will ruin marriage for everyone. Go figure.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:02 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,649,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
The thing people just don't get is that we consider it to be immoral. We cannot, in good conscience, agree that it is a legitimate behavior and endorse it.
Is a teen having an illegitimate child legitimate behavior? You know the child who was a result of a teen practicing abstinence? No reason to consider that immoral, just go after the gays, right?

Old 06-05-2009, 09:22 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,659,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt & Light View Post

Side note:
You may want to go back and reread the TOS....

Old 06-06-2009, 02:15 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,733,962 times
Lightbulb This was interesting...

YouTube - The Defenders (2009)

This was interesting and on topic for this thread.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:48 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,659,782 times
Sounds like something that happened in Germany during the Nazi regime, first they went after the Jews, and we did nothing, then they went after the gypsies, and we did nothing, then the homosexuals, and we did nothing, then the mentally retarded, and we did nothing, and then the Protestants, and we did nothing, and then the Catholics, and we still did nothing, now they're coming for me and there's no one left to do anything.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:13 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,144,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Sounds like something that happened in Germany during the Nazi regime, first they went after the Jews, and we did nothing, then they went after the gypsies, and we did nothing, then the homosexuals, and we did nothing, then the mentally retarded, and we did nothing, and then the Protestants, and we did nothing, and then the Catholics, and we still did nothing, now they're coming for me and there's no one left to do anything.
Well now its like this, I was once told that either you can stick your head between your leggs and kiss your sweet azz good-bye or like the cartoon mouse did to the approaching bird of prey (throw your middle finger up and stand your ground to the bitter end). I'll take the latter of the two . But thats just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality