Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 02:11 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,024,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karrobe View Post
I believe you've got it just right! That is all you need, to enjoy every life, treat yourself well and treat others well. Honestly, none of the other stuff matters. If you have a curiosity as to ponder the origins of the universe, well that's one way to go but it's not necessary to live life and be a good person. The plane that we inhabit does not require us to worship or seek salvation.
Exactly! We have all eternity to find God and to seek out that which we are made for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 10:47 AM

22,182 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb09 View Post
What's the big to do about spirituality? Really, what's so great about it?

I just can't seem to care about finding a God within myself/finding God in nature/finding a one true God etc; it just doesn't seem important to me.
I can't seem to grasp the concept that it's supposed to be meaningful to us.
It's sort of like saying, "What's so great about having love in your life?" or "What's the big to do about having a million dollars?"

Because it feels so good! Because it's so damn fun! Because of the wildly enhanced quality of life, that's why! Health, wealth, joy, fun, delight, pleasure, all of it, and more. Those are reasons enough for me, and then some!

Old 06-03-2009, 10:53 AM

22,182 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Never exploring spirituality, is like coming into this life and being given a big treasure box full of jewels. And carrying it around with me all the time. But never opening it. Because I don't see "what the big deal is"

I am someone who wants all the treasure and jewels and goodies I can get my hands on at every level of life: physically, emotionally, intellectualy, and spiritually. I want all the joy in life I can handle. So there is no way I am going to ignore or never open the treasure box of jewels that I was given upon coming into this life.

More goodies. Bring 'em on. That's what's so great about it.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:21 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,726,610 times
Quote:
Really, what's so great about it?

Is it not enough to just enjoy each day that we are still living, being able to see the light of day for just a second longer? Is it not enough to just obey the golden rule and live our life by it?
That's rather beautifully expressed.
And it's funny ... if you really feel that way ... really have that appreciation for seeing the light of day for just a second longer and truly live by that golden rule, you're doing pretty well spiritually.
Perhaps you take for granted those feelings of love that you expressed that i quoted above.
I don't believe that most people live in that kind of consciousness.
So a question .... why are you hanging out on a religion thread?
That's not a challenge. It's just that your post suggests that you have no need for a spiritual context, paradigm, etc. and yet .... here you are.
I'm just curious.
This thread is way too long for me to read so maybe you've answered this already.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:43 PM

659 posts, read 1,085,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
That's rather beautifully expressed.
And it's funny ... if you really feel that way ... really have that appreciation for seeing the light of day for just a second longer and truly live by that golden rule, you're doing pretty well spiritually.
Perhaps you take for granted those feelings of love that you expressed that i quoted above.
I don't believe that most people live in that kind of consciousness.
So a question .... why are you hanging out on a religion thread?
That's not a challenge. It's just that your post suggests that you have no need for a spiritual context, paradigm, etc. and yet .... here you are.
I'm just curious.
This thread is way too long for me to read so maybe you've answered this already.
Oh no, your question was not confrontational in the least.

I'm just one of those people who like to read the opinions and thoughts of others. It's quite enlightening to how the human psyche works. I like to challenge the thoughts and beliefs of others and like for mine to be challenged as well. That's about all there is to it.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:34 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,171,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxendale View Post
I'm going to pass on this one, it's too easy. Anyone else?
I'm with you, let it pass.....

Old 06-03-2009, 01:43 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,520,736 times
^
... on?

like everything else, in gross indifference, whether only seemingly or real?

Old 06-03-2009, 08:31 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,726,610 times
Quote:
Oh no, your question was not confrontational in the least.

I'm just one of those people who like to read the opinions and thoughts of others. It's quite enlightening to how the human psyche works. I like to challenge the thoughts and beliefs of others and like for mine to be challenged as well. That's about all there is to it.
Cool.

You have a good vibe and geez, you're not even religious. How'd that happen?

Old 06-03-2009, 09:44 PM

659 posts, read 1,085,513 times
It seems I've missed your post. Whoopsie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
It's sort of like saying, "What's so great about having love in your life?" or "What's the big to do about having a million dollars?"
I can understand the love part of your analogy but I really don't need a million dollars like I need love in my life. Sure, it'd be nice to have it laying around somewhere, but money isn't everything.

Quote:
Because it feels so good! Because it's so damn fun! Because of the wildly enhanced quality of life, that's why! Health, wealth, joy, fun, delight, pleasure, all of it, and more. Those are reasons enough for me, and then some!
How so? I feel good when I'm able to make others smile and be happy. I'm having fun when I'm at a party or am playing an intense game of soccer (seriously, best game in the world!). I try to live a healthy life (I have my...gaps at times. ) and I find the things I do fun, delightful, pleasureful, etc. I just don't see a need to "find" something within myself, others, nature, the world around me, etc., that will lead me to a greater understanding of everything. I'm perfectly fine knowing the parameters of my knowledge and knowing I'll never know everything. I don't know how to really explain it. I just don't feel that need or push to try to garner a greater understanding of things I'll never know.

Quote:
Never exploring spirituality, is like coming into this life and being given a big treasure box full of jewels. And carrying it around with me all the time. But never opening it. Because I don't see "what the big deal is"
Knowing me, I'd probably give them away before I put them to my own personal use. I truly don't see what the big deal is about much of the things we hold value to. Jewels are just rocks. I have no need to treasure a rock, even if it is pretty to look at.

Quote:
I am someone who wants all the treasure and jewels and goodies I can get my hands on at every level of life: physically, emotionally, intellectualy, and spiritually. I want all the joy in life I can handle. So there is no way I am going to ignore or never open the treasure box of jewels that I was given upon coming into this life.

More goodies. Bring 'em on. That's what's so great about it.
I feel the same way as you, but I still can't grasp my head around the concept that spirituality (or jewels in your analogy) is supposed to be meaningful to me. I find more meaning in the people around me, the things that I do, and even looking at the world around me. I just can't seem to force myself to think of spirituality as something important and something I need to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
Cool.

You have a good vibe and geez, you're not even religious. How'd that happen?

I really couldn't tell ya. Even when I was a "Christian" people would say I had "something" about me (don't get me wrong, I'm not an angel or anything, I have my vices...lots of them. ). I remember one time I went to a new hairdresser and while my mother was talking with her (I was just sitting there listen to their conversation) she looked at me and said I had a gentle spirit about me (but she didn't - and doesn't - know that I can - and do - get down with the best of em. ).

Even when I was a Christian, I didn't feel all that spiritual and it really bugged me that I had to sell my religion to other people and push onto them this "spiritual" thing of talking with the Lord, praying in tongues, and etc. It all felt rather...odd and silly to me.

I just try to abide by the golden rule and make people around me happy; there's nothing better than a room full of smiling faces; it'll make you want to smile too! I'm of a live/let live persuasion so it doesn't matter to me if people around me are spiritual or not, religious or not. I just can't find it in myself to deem it important and wish for others not to shove their beliefs on me.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:35 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,862,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
You're sounding awfully dogmatic there. Ironic, huh?
Interesting, just because he disagrees with you does not necessarily mean that he is the one being dogmatic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality