Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 10:34 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times

Advertisements

Take the blinders off and truly experience life. Don't narrowly follow just one worldview, experience many and take what you can from each. Don't take the people who say 'my way is the ONLY way' seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 10:36 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,068,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Take the blinders off and truly experience life. Don't narrowly follow just one worldview, experience many and take what you can from each. Don't take the people who say 'my way is the ONLY way' seriously.

Don't listen to people like this one that tell you that there is no such thing as truth. That's post-modernism and is really kind of a bankrupt system of belief.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Considering an atheist, I find this worldview bias weird and bizarre

I thought you folks dismissed all religious worldviews
Nope. There is good in many relgions, but it doesn't necessarily mean you have to believe in deities to understand the metaphors. I read the Vedas and found some amazing information regarding peace and understanding. Doesn't necessarily mean I worship Vishnu

Old 08-04-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Appreciate it. But, please, you guys gotta stop being Christian atheists and do some integrity with respect to atheism. Hinduism has its own troop of deities who are as omnipotent as Yahweh, Jesus and the Holy Spirit.

Integrity

Atheism begs some respect.
I also believe there are some good myths that serve as metaphors in the bible as well, I just don't believe it's word for word true.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:00 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
Quote:
I also believe there are some good myths that serve as metaphors in the bible as well, I just don't believe it's word for word true.
Really?

Let's read this again:
Quote:
Nope. There is good in many relgions, but it doesn't necessarily mean you have to believe in deities to understand the metaphors. I read the Vedas and found some amazing information regarding peace and understanding. Doesn't necessarily mean I worship Vishnu
Hinduism has its fair share of stories which will make scientists and riflemen sit down and cry.

Yet you find "amazing" information about peace and understanding.

Which is found in the Bible too. Like, "Love thy neighbour as thyself", "Help the meek and the poor", "when the enemy slaps, show the other side". Now you will dismiss this is all "crap"

You guys are just folks who practice prejudice, partiality and bias at a different level.

Even if it's prejudice, it has to be universal and integral to mental thought. That's why I have to say you "christian atheists" are weird and bizarre

Quote:
What are you, 4? I was simply suggesting that the OP take a look at ALL possibilities, not simply the one that people yell is the 'truth'.
My buddy kd merely stated his opinion to Omicron, which is what Omicron asked for. Whether he had an issue with it or not, you did and you felt compelled to "yell" it was "not" the 'truth'. Tolerance is a two-way street, milady. Bigotry flies both ways too Taking the religious texts out of the equation, the intolerance, bigotry and the people are the SAME

Last edited by Currency Pair Crocodile; 08-04-2009 at 11:24 AM.. Reason: Had to add something

Old 08-04-2009, 11:13 AM

1,050 posts, read 3,526,260 times
Read, and read more. Expand into all types of material. The more I read, the more knowledge I aquire. Then I can ask my self questions? These teens and young adults do not have basic knowledge. They are plugged into a computer, an Ipod or a cell phone........never really getting a chance to know themselves.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Really?

Let's read this again:

Hinduism has its fair share of stories which will make scientists and riflemen sit down and cry.

Yet you find "amazing" information about peace and understanding.

Which is found in the Bible too. Like, "Love thy neighbour as thyself", "Help the meek and the poor", "when the enemy slaps, show the other side". Now you will dismiss this is all "crap"

You guys are just folks who practice prejudice, partiality and bias at a different level.

Even if it's prejudice, it has to be universal and integral to mental thought. That's why I have to say you "christian atheists" are weird and bizarre

My buddy kd merely stated his opinion to Omicron, which is what Omicron asked for. Whether he had an issue with it or not, you did and you felt compelled to "yell" it was "not" the 'truth'. Tolerance is a two-way street, milady. Bigotry flies both ways too Taking the religious texts out of the equation, the intolerance, bigotry and the people are the SAME
I think you're just twisting my words to find something and cry bigotry.

I said that there are things in the bible that are good and that you can learn from. I believe that. They're METAPHORS. Funny how you conveniently skipped that part.

I do not believe in a literal translation of ANY type of religious work, be it the Koran, the Bible, the Vedas etc etc. BUT there are good lessons to learn from each if you take the myth stories as metaphor.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:42 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,740,612 times
Observe the world around you and don't be afraid to ask yourself lots of questions about the things you observe. Nothing should be "off limits" to scrutiny.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:44 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,210,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omicron213 View Post
as the title says " what should a young person do in order to deepen himself as a human being?"

please answer with your own opinion,,, thanks...
I'd suggest going on a pilgrimage to another country. I went to Guayana with a group and it was life changing.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:02 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,413,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omicron213 View Post
as the title says " what should a young person do in order to deepen himself as a human being?"

please answer with your own opinion,,, thanks...
World of Warcraft.

Seriously tho, travel, fully experience as many different cultures as possible, even if it's merely in the US.

That would be MY advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality