Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 09:03 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,551,567 times

Advertisements

(Sept. 2) - The top-selling Bible in North America will undergo its first revision in 25 years, modernizing the language in some sections and promising to reopen a contentious debate about changing gender terms in the sacred text. The New International Version, the Bible of choice for conservative evangelicals, will be revised to reflect changes in English usage and advances in Biblical scholarship, it was announced Tuesday. The revision is scheduled to be completed late next year and published in 2011.

Best-Selling Bible The New International Version Gets Remake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 09:19 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,559,463 times
Here they go again! A revisionist bible that not even all who edit it can agree on.

So much for inerrancy and the word of gawd.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:24 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,958,411 times
What, you mean there was something wrong with it? BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Old 09-02-2009, 09:28 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,628,860 times
That kind of surprises me because this particular sect of Christianity is so conservative and I wouldn't have expected that they would even consider any changes in gender terms since they seem to want their women to be barefoot and pregnant. There's one problem when you do a revision and that is the fact that you've moved one step further away from the very original and have increased the probability for errors and misunderstandings of particular passages whose meanings are rather vague to begin with. It doesn't bother me personally because I'm not going to run out and buy one, it's just not something that I thought they would have done.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:04 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,613,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
That kind of surprises me because this particular sect of Christianity is so conservative and I wouldn't have expected that they would even consider any changes in gender terms since they seem to want their women to be barefoot and pregnant. There's one problem when you do a revision and that is the fact that you've moved one step further away from the very original and have increased the probability for errors and misunderstandings of particular passages whose meanings are rather vague to begin with. It doesn't bother me personally because I'm not going to run out and buy one, it's just not something that I thought they would have done.
Then again, wasn't the King James Version pretty much the same thing? It was a new and politically correct translation of earlier Scripture at the time of publication. So why would anyone be surprised at an effort to do that again?

Old 09-02-2009, 10:44 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,441,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
(Sept. 2) - The top-selling Bible in North America will undergo its first revision in 25 years, modernizing the language in some sections and promising to reopen a contentious debate about changing gender terms in the sacred text. The New International Version, the Bible of choice for conservative evangelicals, will be revised to reflect changes in English usage and advances in Biblical scholarship, it was announced Tuesday. The revision is scheduled to be completed late next year and published in 2011.

Best-Selling Bible The New International Version Gets Remake
If they revise the NIV to make it correct, wouldn't that just make it a copy of the KJV? Lol!

Old 09-02-2009, 10:54 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,056,317 times
I wonder if they will correct the hell verses?

Old 09-02-2009, 10:56 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,463,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme58 View Post
I wonder if they will correct the hell verses?

You mean the ones that refer to "hell" but actually name a smoking garbage dump found outside Jerusalem.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:06 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,056,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
You mean the ones that refer to "hell" but actually name a smoking garbage dump found outside Jerusalem.
Yup that would be it, and now a grassed park. I guess them eternal fire went out eventually

The other references to the hades and sheol bits.

Maybe they should use color coding, red for negative connotations and blue for positive connotations, maybe colors will illustrate to the illiterate that Jesus was more about positive stuff than gay bashing and consigning sinners to the xian fictitious hell.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:34 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
This has been posted before. I'll reply again.

If this is supposed to be the "Word of God", then why should it need revision?

Also, are prophets revising it, or just normal everyday preists? Are they Gods words, or are they just human fixing of what they think God wants.

As someone put earlier, it amazes me that people put so much faith in a book, that was written by people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality