Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 08:29 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times

Advertisements

Rabbis, Jewish groups back Muslims on minaret ban | International News | Jerusalem Post

Here's an interesting story to read.

Surprise, surprise, Athiests can also be dogmatic Moderator cut: Deleted as insulting who go too far with their personal beliefs and encroach on the beliefs of others! Switzerland banned the construction of Minarets. Now some architectural styles are too "goddish" and need to be banned?!

Apparently it's stupid enough that Jews and Muslims are actually willing to join up to fight it.

Maybe Atheism is the solution for the ongoing conflict in the Middle East too?

Last edited by june 7th; 12-03-2009 at 10:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 08:41 PM

1,088 posts, read 2,196,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Rabbis, Jewish groups back Muslims on minaret ban | International News | Jerusalem Post

Here's an interesting story to read.

Surprise, surprise, Athiests can also be dogmatic Moderator cut: orphaned who go too far with their personal beliefs and encroach on the beliefs of others! Switzerland banned the construction of Minarets. Now some architectural styles are too "goddish" and need to be banned?!

Apparently it's stupid enough that Jews and Muslims are actually willing to join up to fight it.

Maybe Atheism is the solution for peace in the Middle East too?
Um..............Roughly 82% of Switzerland's population is Christian, and only around 11% claim to be irreligious. The ban of minarets is not because they're "goddish" as you put it, but rather out of fear of Islam. And seeing as how Switzerland's a direct democracy and the ban on the minarets passed by more than 57%, I'd wager a guess that you can not blame the law's passing entirely on the irreligious alone.

Last edited by june 7th; 12-03-2009 at 10:50 PM..

Old 12-03-2009, 09:40 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
I agree this is anti-Islam rather than anti-religion, but I think you might be exaggerating how Christian the Swiss are. They are more Christian than much of Europe, but only 48% of them say they believe in God rather than "some sort of spirit or life force" and 9% do not believe in God or any force. This makes them roughly like Lithuania, which is seen as quite religious for Europe, but not that religious. Gallup places them slightly below New Zealand for religiousness.

http://ec.europa.eu/public_opinion/a..._report_en.pdf
In More Religious Countries, Lower Suicide Rates - I'm aware this title might be offensive, but it's the only article I remember where Gallup ranks countries by self-reported religiousness.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:36 PM

416 posts, read 630,652 times
Minarets are often used to broadcast the Adhan( Call to Prayer ) through mounted loudspeakers five times a day everyday. I wonder if the ban was partly voted for because this is extremely annoying?

Old 12-04-2009, 07:47 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,683,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsunegames View Post
Minarets are often used to broadcast the Adhan( Call to Prayer ) through mounted loudspeakers five times a day everyday. I wonder if the ban was partly voted for because this is extremely annoying?
Not only that, but if Switzerland is trying to maintain a certain style of building to keep their country looking Swiss rather than multicultural, then I can see it. There could also be height and noise restrictions. There are a lot of reasons other than religious for banning certain buildings.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:57 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,862,875 times
Quote:
Also, I personally would not mind a decibel limit for the christian belltowers on sunday mornings, they keep waking me up!!!

Old 12-04-2009, 10:01 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
That's what I've been hearing. That the Muslims want the call to prayer to be heard throughout the ENTIRE city through the minarets. Personally, I'd be pretty pissed if another religion/culture moved into my city and started yelling things through loudspeakers in a different language at 5:30 in the morning 7 days a week, then 4 more times during the day.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:15 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:
So pass a noise ordinance...

... but banning Minarets is like banning church steeples. It's silly.

I'm no religions nut, In fact I don't believe in ANY organized religious institutions, but is the mere sight of a religious oriented building really offensive to so many people?

In my city (SLC, UT) I think the prettiest buildings are the downtown mormon temple and the catholic cathedral. You'll never find me inside either of them, but they are beautiful structures that add, not detract from the area.

It all boils down to racism and closed-mindedness.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:31 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
So pass a noise ordinance...

... but banning Minarets is like banning church steeples. It's silly.
I agree. Although later you say it's racism, but that's not really correct. Muslims aren't a race they're a religion. A Muslim can be of any race just like anyone else. I'm sure the Kurds and Balkans contain blond blue-eyed Muslims.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:31 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,683,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
That's what I've been hearing. That the Muslims want the call to prayer to be heard throughout the ENTIRE city through the minarets. Personally, I'd be pretty pissed if another religion/culture moved into my city and started yelling things through loudspeakers in a different language at 5:30 in the morning 7 days a week, then 4 more times during the day.
Why don't they just podcast it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality