Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 10:57 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times

Advertisements

"Waiting For Armageddon" is the title of a current thread in the politics forum!
How many other nations have so many people that are breathlessly awaiting the beginning of the 'End'?
What does this have to say abut America?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 11:44 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
"Waiting For Armageddon" is the title of a current thread in the politics forum!
How many other nations have so many people that are breathlessly awaiting the beginning of the 'End'?
What does this have to say abut America?
Zeitgeist.

Old 12-14-2009, 03:10 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
America is one of the largest nations with a strong Evangelical Protestant element.

However I believe there is a strong vein of apocalyptic types in Brazil, Kenya, and Russia. There is a line of rather apocalyptic Russian Orthodox thinkers so it's a case where they don't really need Evangelical Protestantism to have it. (Marxism also has a millenarian quality to it wherein the state will somehow dissolve in an unspecified future age) Generally though apocalyptic forms of Christianity are most associated to Evangelical or Fundamentalist Protestantism. Brazil and Kenya would have those. They would also have the dire poverty that could make the idea have appeal.

Now the dispensationalist view of things might be more limited to the English speaking world as it seems to have come from the Plymouth Brethren. I think Australia and New Zealand have some notable people in that line of thought.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:53 AM

It's quite possible that believers in the 'End Times' exist in many countries, but their numbers must be insignificant. In America, however, these people cannot be overlooked, they are everywhere!

Old 12-14-2009, 10:07 AM

Hey, whoever gave me the anonymous rep point with the following message:
'Another dumbass subject. How about any former Soviet State that murders anyone who refuses to conform to atheism. ROFLMAO'.
Thanks!
I am a Latvian. Latvia was part of the Soviet Union. The Soviets did not murder anyone who refused to conform to atheism.
Seems as though I've struck a raw nerve in an 'End Times' believer. I really don't expect 'End Times' believers to be very knowledgeable in history. So thanks for the affirmation.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:52 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,056,042 times
It is very much an American thingy. It had some real precedence here in the early 90's as SA was transitioning to a full democracy, fear of the black man in control.

IMO in USA, with BO in charge the lunatic fringe see this as teh ende of teh wurlde, da ebul black man in charge et al.

Well after 15 years of "teh ebul black man" in charge here, the sky did not fall and this end time rubbish has all but been embarrassingly filed as as another phailed prophesy.

I still want any apologist to come and explain just how we are to expect 50kg (110lb) hailstones from the heavens and more in particular how they will form, I mean, that is as big as a sack of cement, promised to us heathen in Revelation (w/o the magik of their invisible deity)

I am sure John of Patmos was licking some psychedelic toads or eating sum funny (unclean) looking mushrooms before he wrote his musings of his obvious "trips"

Old 12-14-2009, 11:17 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
American culture is young, shallow, unstable and self-absorbed. "Apocalypse" type movies are a reflection of that.

It's a bit like teenagers, and along the lines of reason for why teens have a high suicide rate. They lack the perspective to see and think into the future, and are easily discouraged, just like our country.

It would also suggest to me that many Americans don't really honestly value our current institution and want to see it come down.

Who doesn't smile when they see the White House destroyed on film for the upteenth time? That should tell the government something about what we think about the job they are doing.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
American culture is young, shallow, unstable and self-absorbed. "Apocalypse" type movies are a reflection of that.

It's a bit like teenagers, and along the lines of reason for why teens have a high suicide rate. They lack the perspective to see and think into the future, and are easily discouraged, just like our country.

It would also suggest to me that many Americans don't really honestly value our current institution and want to see it come down.

Who doesn't smile when they see the White House destroyed on film for the upteenth time? That should tell the government something about what we think about the job they are doing.
I don't understand the connection to the 'End Times'.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:28 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
I don't understand the connection to the 'End Times'.
People tend to belive in an actual "end times" more easily when their cuture is adolescent, unpredictable and can easily come falling down.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
People tend to belive in an actual "end times" more easily when their cuture is adolescent, unpredictable and can easily come falling down.
Which would then indicate that countries younger than America should have a very active 'End Times' population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality