Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 02:13 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,107,614 times

Advertisements

You have free will but are only free to follow the rules.

Is that really freedom?

The only freedom we have is to follow the rules or break them.
No other freedom comes to mind.
This would include either secular rules or religious rules.
Rules of physics and nature are understood.
This free will that you have is freedom that you take.
It is not given to you.
Freedom is not something that can be given unless it is first taken from you.

If we are in God’s image and He in ours, then is He hampered by this same condition of only being able to follow the rules or break them?

He seems to be.

Regards
DL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 08:16 PM

2,074 posts, read 2,166,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest I am View Post

Is that really freedom?

The only freedom we have is to follow the rules or break them.
No other freedom comes to mind. This would include either secular rules or religious rules. Rules of physics and nature are understood.
This free will that you have is freedom that you take. It is not given to you. Freedom is not something that can be given unless it is first taken from you.

If we are in God’s image and He in ours, then is He hampered by this same condition of only being able to follow the rules or break them?

He seems to be.

Regards
DL
First of all, God is Love... and it's a blissful love that we can obtain if we seek for it. He doesn't break His own rules and why should He?

It seems as if people are so quirky and all up in a knot about following God's rules, or laws. The fact is that they are so easy to follow. And God set down these rules so that men would treat each other nicely and not be big jerks and we would live on earth in a world with peace and harmony.

Whenever we do something stupid and we break one of God's laws, what usually happens is that we pay the penalty for it very quickly. We are ashamed, feel remorse, or regret about it and sometimes we apologize to the person we have wronged and are forgiven. When this happens, we forget about it and that's a good thing.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:27 PM

179 posts, read 295,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
First of all, God is Love... and it's a blissful love that we can obtain if we seek for it. He doesn't break His own rules and why should He?

It seems as if people are so quirky and all up in a knot about following God's rules, or laws. The fact is that they are so easy to follow. And God set down these rules so that men would treat each other nicely and not be big jerks and we would live on earth in a world with peace and harmony.

Whenever we do something stupid and we break one of God's laws, what usually happens is that we pay the penalty for it very quickly. We are ashamed, feel remorse, or regret about it and sometimes we apologize to the person we have wronged and are forgiven. When this happens, we forget about it and that's a good thing.
It's weird I agree with both this and the OP. But I will add that perhaps god exists in a realm where the "rules don't apply" to him. As that realm could very well have it's own seperate rules or none at all...

Old 12-13-2009, 08:42 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,878,623 times

Yup, I think you have it straight. We do have free will, but are not allowed to think, and reason is a sin.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:10 PM

179 posts, read 295,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post

Yup, I think you have it straight. We do have free will, but are not allowed to think, and reason is a sin.
Well I wouldn't go so far as to say that "reason is sin" becuse it is reason that keeps you from sin.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:17 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,584,996 times
There are consequences to actions, but of course you're still free to do them. Plus everyone sins and everyone falls short sometimes. Reason is valued, but is not seen as the only thing in life.

Anyway it's amusing seeing atheists/agnostics criticize religious on this as many of them, Will Provine for example, said they have no reason to believe in free-will at all. From an atheist perspective as I understand it our actions are determined by genetics, neurochemistry, behavioral conditioning, and forces beyond us. There is no "soul" and no "mind" that chooses things. You're just a very complicated machine. You have the free-will of a real snazzy toaster.

http://cornellsun.com/node/22672

Note: I feel a tad guilty on reading Provine has an inoperable brain tumor. Still he is an atheist who doesn't believe in free-will and I might not have time to replace him with someone else.

Last edited by Thomas R.; 12-13-2009 at 09:28 PM..

Old 12-13-2009, 09:17 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,510,121 times
not so. we are given options. there are several paths, both with rules. they lead different directions neither bad nor good. only trapped animals have choice of fight or fold, but we are not trapped animals.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:20 PM

2,074 posts, read 2,166,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonaFan View Post
It's weird I agree with both this and the OP. But I will add that perhaps god exists in a realm where the "rules don't apply" to him. As that realm could very well have it's own seperate rules or none at all...
Our Heavenly Father is way, way up there and let's just put it this way, He's in charge and He knows what He's doing!

The fact that He knows who each one of us is... is really pretty spectacular when you think about it... considering there are how many billions of us on this earth... 6 and counting.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post

Other than hear say of Bible say, what leads you to think that God even exists let alone makes laws?

No dogma please.

Regards
DL

Old 12-14-2009, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonaFan View Post
That or He comes to our realm and ignores his own rules.

I E. Though shall not kill.

He seems to kill us quite often in scripture.

Regards
DL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality