Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 08:45 PM

257 posts, read 407,861 times

Advertisements

Alright, I've watched documentaries on evolution, I've read articles in printed encyclopedias, I've read most parts of On The Origin of Species, I've read of similar anatomy, similar skeletons, etc, of all species, presumably indicating species are related.

My question is: How do people 'know' evolution has taken place? Why is it considered a fact, though even Darwin himself knew it had (and still has) holes? Are people merely biased in evolutions favor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 08:55 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,096,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LZKay1 View Post
Alright, I've watched documentaries on evolution, I've read articles in printed encyclopedias, I've read most parts of On The Origin of Species, I've read of similar anatomy, similar skeletons, etc, of all species, presumably indicating species are related.

My question is: How do people 'know' evolution has taken place? Why is it considered a fact, though even Darwin himself knew it had (and still has) holes? Are people merely biased in evolutions favor?
Darwin was an 18th century scientist. When Darwin was introducing his theories, it didn't just have holes - it WAS a hole. What you have to understand is that a) Darwin is not the only person who came to evolutionary theory as he studied the life of species on earth. Wallace was another person coming to the exact same conclusions at almost the same time. Many more would have come to the very same conclusions if for some reason, these two had not come to the forfront. b) Evolution doesn't have holes, per se, but that certain components of natural selection are currently debated. There is not, however, a legitimate scientist, anthropologist, or human, for that matters, that doubts that evolution has taken place, but simply that they don't always agree on certain elements that in the grand scheme, make very little difference. Evolution took great leaps and bounds post-1970's with the sheer amount of findings during this time. Most recently, Ardi was really an archaeological finding that blew the doors off the scienctific community. The honest truth is that anyone denying evolution is really someone hoping to disregard it for purposes revolving around some of their pre-conceived notions in regards to their own religion. They are also operating on dated information, usually. Many who oppose evolution actually have very little to no knowledge of the study, which is why I recommend atleast attending a University course on introductory biological anthropology; if you're going to argue against something, you might as well know what exactly you're arguing against.

How do they know? Unfortunately, it's a topic that really deserves time in University based on the depth of its topic. It incorporates archaeology, physical/biological anthropology, genetics/DNA study. Each finding is studied ad nauseum and compared with hundreds of thousands of other findings. When you have access to these findings, you'll find the study quite gratifying and neat. I highly recommend, at the very least, simply taking a course with a good anthropology. If you happen to live in California or Ohio, by chance, both states have a few great programs helped along by noted anthropologist, Tim White.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:04 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,013,181 times
How could anyone believe the earth is only 6,000 years old?

Old 01-27-2010, 09:10 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,140,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LZKay1 View Post
Why is it considered a fact, though even Darwin himself knew it had (and still has) holes? Are people merely biased in evolutions favor?
Because every reputable scientist (the kind who use the scientific method not the JEE-zus sez method) agrees that evolution did take place. While there are some minor disagreements over details, the scientific theory of evolution is not really debatable.

Use theology as a source of strength, personal growth, community, but please don't pretend the bible has scientific validity.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:12 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,236,270 times
If the methods used to date, and map certain events in time are flawed...then all the findings made under those methods are in error.

Just my two cents.

Humans were designed like the rest of those living things.
What these theorist seem to overlook now, Today, Is the Mutations (two headed creatures and humans) being born to this world.
And why they are being born...Would be more worthy a thing to partake in....
Cause the breakdown of the DNA in almost all life is starting to occur...over time...

What method will they use for the now? carbon dating due to assumed atomic decay rates, or,... carbon decay due to higher Atomic decay rates, due to atomic testing of nuclear fission?

And of course the method should be sound.... (spoken word of truth)....to get the right answer!

Do two heads think better than one?...might be the pun for fun...perhaps?
And ofcourse the theory about the smartest being able to out think the others...and survive...might be a angle these theorists haven't taken into account yet...?

Think about it....cause they are being born more so now than yesterday!

Because I study bones, and believe in time, and decays of atoms...doesn't make me a credible or reputable sciencts.

Now about the bones leading to the Man came from ape story...they do not have a complete bone record of even one!
And if this is true...then how can they make a claim that humans came from apes?....The truth is they cannot draw any conclusive lines to this theory...and I use that word with the utmost of respect..THEORY.
Because if Humans did evolve from Ape...there would be more bones and more proof than just a half or a few bones that fit together...And through inbreeding...apes would be born through humans...and the same for apes...humans would be born through their inbreeding...cause the dna would eventually become unlocked,,,

And usually when a species does evolve, the parent species dies off...evolution is a survival traight or triggered by a great event of devistating change in the envilroment...thus there should be no apes in existance, because they have evolved into Humans...or is it visa versa?

This would go for all life...it would evolve, and the parent would die off.
But now we have all these different verities of simular design...simular trademarks...same family lines...all living...this is what we call a hole in the method!

Last edited by Sir Les; 01-27-2010 at 09:29 PM..

Old 01-27-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Les View Post
If the methods used to date, and map certain events in time are flawed...then all the findings made under those methods are in error.

Just my two cents.

What these theorist seem to overlook now, Today, Is the Mutations (two headed creatures and humans) being born to this world.
Cause the breakdown of the DNA in almost all life is starting to occur...over time...

What method will they use for the now? carbon dating due to assumed atomic decay rates, or,... carbon decay due to higher Atomic decay rates, due to atomic testing of nuclear fission?

And of course the method should be sound.... (spoken word of truth)....to get the right answer!

And ofcourse the theory about the smartest being able to out think the others...and survive...might be a angle these theorists haven't taken into account yet...?

Old 01-27-2010, 09:18 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,324,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
While there are some minor disagreements over details, the scientific theory of evolution is not really debatable.
yes it is

and people don't "know" if revolution is "true" or if it took place, it just happens to be the most widely accepted theory (hence the word) to explain that matter. same applies to other theories, such as the big bang or special theory of relativity.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:19 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,866,256 times
How do people 'know' evolution has taken place?

Uhhhhhhhh........Well.......we're here and the Triceratops is not???????

Old 01-27-2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
yes it is

and people don't "know" if revolution is "true" or if it took place, it just happens to be the most widely accepted theory (hence the word) to explain that matter. same applies to other theories, such as the big bang or special theory of relativity.
Actually in science (again SCIENCE-- Not 'da BI-bull SAYS) 'theory' is a very specific word that is only applied after unbiased observation, deductive reasoning and overwhelming amounts of empirical data point to the correctness of the explanation of a phenomena.

Again, reputable scientists agree (due to the amount of unbiased observation, deductive reasoning and empirical data) that evolution is NOT debatable. It is the explanation of how life on Earth evolved to its current forms.

A scientific theory is not like a theory in social sciences-- Ideas and conjecture don't come in to play.

However, for some, evolution is debatable, simply because they prefer it not be true, as it is antithetical to their world view.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:51 PM

33,548 posts, read 37,151,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Les View Post

Just my two cents.

Because I study bones, and believe in time, and decays of atoms...doesn't make me a credible or reputable sciencts.

Now about the bones leading to the Man came from ape story...they do not have a complete bone record of even one!
And if this is true...then how can they make a claim that humans came from apes?....The truth is they cannot draw any conclusive lines to this theory...and I use that word with the utmost of respect..THEORY.
Because if Humans did evolve from Ape...there would be more bones and more proof than just a half or a few bones that fit together...And through inbreeding...apes would be born through humans...and the same for apes...humans would be born through their inbreeding...cause the dna would eventually become unlocked,,,

And usually when a species does evolve, the parent species dies off...evolution is a survival traight or triggered by a great event of devistating change in the envilroment...thus there should be no apes in existance, because they have evolved into Humans...or is it visa versa?

This would go for all life...it would evolve, and the parent would die off.
But now we have all these different verities of simular design...simular trademarks...same family lines...all living...this is what we call a hole in the method!
It's best to know the subject before making definitive statements on it....First of all no scientist says that humans evolved from apes. We are in fact a species of ape, and evolved from a common ancestor shared by us and the other apes.

Your other mistaken statement (And usually when a species does evolve, the parent species dies off.) is not at all true. Many species exist today along with the species they evolved from. All one has to do is take a look at life as it exists today and the occurrence of evolution is obvious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality