Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 06:30 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,526,976 times

Advertisements

Good morning before Thanksgiving my friends..I just want to offer some advice given in respect to all of you..

This is called the Religion and Philosophy forum.. Everyone of every religion and those of no religion are welcomed here to post, make a new thread or to answer one.
This forum was intended to be a place of friendly, polite discussion/debate/opinion on all the many religions in general and for intelligent philosophical discussions among the members about things of the religious nature

We can agree to disagree and walk away before anger causes us to respond in sarcasm, ridicule or insults which mostly leads to off topic edits/deletes/closures and infractions..(none of which makes June or I very happy to do)

All are welcomed here to post and all are urged to follow the TOS of City Data..

Feel free to respond to this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 06:58 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,626,992 times
I, for one, appreciate the job you do...although I must say, I don't envy that job very much, given some of the postings we see around here.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:55 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,835,296 times
this has got to be a thankless job. I would rename this forum the "rumble pit" if I was a mod.

But thanks for doing it anyway. Hopefully I add something constructive at least every once in while.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:16 AM

3,770 posts, read 10,582,285 times
I believe it to be a message board whereby one should make comments without being personally attacked. Instead of one commenting on ones post because they disagree with the poster,they should state within their own post and not someone elses what they believe to be true somewhat an implication but not a personal attack.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:25 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,348,330 times
On this Thanksgiving eve,
I give thanks to Blue and June for the tough job they do
trying to herd us cats.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:36 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,926,738 times
Default So Says Dottie The Wonder Cat

...meow...

(translated to: thanks mods)

Old 11-25-2009, 10:07 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,197,939 times
Like a merry-go-round the R&P forum moves, but doesn't get anywhere.
Anyone who has participated for 12 months should have noticed that similar (or identical) themes constantly appear, although launched by different people.
Nothing is ever resolved or moved toward progress.

Surely, whenever my name appears on a post or thread starter, it is likely to provoke unpleasant groans; oh, that ......... again? Why doesn't he just disappear?

I believe that philosophy is a much wider theme than religion.
On the R&P forum it's philosophy within the confines of religion.
This is a uniquely American mode of thought; philosophy is only valid if it includes religion, specifically christianity. (Easier to understand why the realm of world class philosophy includes few Americans.)

Old 11-25-2009, 10:34 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,360,500 times
I like most here feel grateful to have you policing both the R&R and A&A forums. I seldom go to the christian forum but I suspect both you and June try and oversee it also. None are jobs I would want.

I have noticed a change in the years I have been coming here. Today I see greater tolerance to statements which edge on the limits of being political correct and close to the point of being a “delete” post. I see these as positive in most cases and unless they are just an outright insult appreciate your tolerance. The edge of a heated debate is often filled with deeper discussions, and more potential to learn.

I also see many more nonreligious people than when I first came to the forum. The members seem more out spoken and smarter. There are few weeks when I am not digging to find answers or more on subjects they bring up. It is expanding my knowledge and giving me free thinking cyber friends which I am thankful for.

Thanks for the work, hope you have a great Thanksgiving with lots of cheese and turkey.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:40 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,056,917 times
We heathen are constantly told our lack of belief is in fact a religion, so in that meme, we "heathen" have as much right to air our opinions here.

Whenever someone states "I believe..." as a premise, I will go easy, but the one posting beliefs as irrefutable truths, should expect challenges. When these challenges are not addressed, then we "heathen" are expected to bow out in defeat on a debate, sorry, it does not work that way in RL.

Because "foreign heathen" post here too, the fundies should accept that challenges come internationally.

Surely one has to follow the premise of ones holy book to study to find oneself approved, sadly, most theists are really unversed in their own holy texts and merely regurgitate what us "heathen" rejected some time ago.

It really would be interesting to debate a knowledgeable theist, ThomasR and Justamere10 are the closest (reasonable) persons that measure up to that IMHO <--- something else the theists could include in their posts from time to time just to demonstrate to us "heathen" that they too are human.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:40 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,960,638 times
The moderation here is good overall. This forum is mild. It doesn't have the flame wars you easily see on other forums. Given the subject matter, it could easily get very ugly (yet funny) around here if the mods didn't keep it under control. I know I have to hold my tongue (as it were) and not post some funny smart-A remark I want to make so bad I can hardly stand it because I know it would get deservedly deleted per the TOS.

Happy Thanksgiving Miss Blue. Go Cowboys!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality