Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 05:45 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,215,139 times

Advertisements

This is a local story on a national effort.

Billboard campaign to announce atheists’ First Coast presence | jacksonville.com

It may come as a shock to some that there are atheists, humanists and agnostics in Jacksonville, smack dab in the middle of the Bible Belt.

So area atheist organizations have banded together to create an umbrella organization with plans as early as Thursday to bring a national billboard campaign to the First Coast, declaring their existence to believers and non-believers alike.

Why I am a Methodist (from the article)

Billy Moses, who worships at Beach United Methodist Church in Jacksonville Beach, said he sees the coming billboards as a sign of society's decay. But it's also a matter of free speech, he said.

"Is it right for us to condemn them because they have a belief? No," Moses said. "But I pray for them because the direction they're going is not right according to Scripture."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 08:49 AM

783 posts, read 1,326,819 times
This is great; Atheism is organizing just like religion! This, and stories like it, add additional evidence that Atheism is indeed a religion.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:03 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times
I wonder why theist want to make atheism into a religion. Is it because they can then say that we are daft as they are.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:11 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,932,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt & Light View Post
This is great; Atheism is organizing just like religion! This, and stories like it, add additional evidence that Atheism is indeed a religion.

Great! Does that mean we can get free money from the taxpayers too?

Old 03-25-2010, 09:20 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Yep, just like bald is a hair color.

They're just telling people that it's okay to be a non-believer (in a very heavily religious area) where they might feel alone, or afraid to 'come out' if you will.

I guess my 4H group is a religion too, since we meet monthly and advertise, PLUS we are a non profit!

Old 03-25-2010, 09:33 AM

310 posts, read 589,537 times
Quote:
So the running club I belong to is also a religion. So is my kids' PTA. And the backpacking club I hike with. And the book club. And the yoga group.

God damn, do I have a lot of religions or what?

Old 03-25-2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balvenie View Post
So the running club I belong to is also a religion. So is my kids' PTA. And the backpacking club I hike with. And the book club. And the yoga group.

God damn, do I have a lot of religions or what?

Ohhh.... can we start a Scotch club and call it a religion?

Old 03-25-2010, 09:37 AM

310 posts, read 589,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
Ohhh.... can we start a Scotch club and call it a religion?
Oh hell yes. I'll start out the first service with a Balvenie 15, and some Arturo Fuente Fuente Opus X robustos. Would that be acceptable?

Old 03-25-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balvenie View Post
Oh hell yes. I'll start out the first service with a Balvenie 15, and some Arturo Fuente Fuente Opus X robustos. Would that be acceptable?

Cool, I'll take the evening service with the Glenfiddich 18 and the Partagas.

Hmm I'm betting we can write these off as religious expenses. Sacraments, if you will.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:48 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,215,139 times
Nowhere in the article does it say that they consider themselves a religion.

In response to the posts above this, I would say that in light of the current economic climate, I would have to opt for the Dewars denomination. But I'll visit your services if invited!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality