Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 04:14 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,559,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
The difference is: We view the comic book characters as something we made...and view God as something that made us (and everything else). That's why man worships Him and not the comic book characters. I'd have thought you smart guys would have figured that out.
I wouldn't have a problem with anybody worshiping any of the thousands of mythical gods which mankind has imagined during and since the stone age if he would just keep his mouth shut about them. When someone believes they must bring me to their god they just invaded my privacy and my own ideas. I don't need some half educated bible thumper to bring me their idea of salvation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Here's the REAL DEAL: Anyone who would be offended by Christian friends telling them that they will pray for their benefit, needs to get a thicker skin. If that's your worst problem...you've got no problems.

When the JWs stop by my house I usually invite them in...and when they see the strippers walking around, naked, drinking & getting high, laughing and making out with each other in the hot tub, and a video of one of them playing on the TV...they get all out of sorts. Then when I ask the strippers, who, for some reason are 90% Wiccan, to tell them about their theology, they usually "have another appointment".

One time a JW lady came with a young girl (I think it was her daughter) that was very beautiful. One of the girls tells her "You're sooooo hot!", and then another asks, "Did you ever think of dancing, you should come in with us tonight...you'd make a ton of money". You could tell they were looking at her with the same thoughts a kid has when they look at an ice cream cone. The older lady shook her head, said , "Oh, no, no, no ,no", got up, took her by the arm, and they were out of there in a flash. Funny, those two never came back. I wonder why?
I remember days similar to those but now I'm seventy five years old and don't need another thing from the thumpers. One way or another they will learn that standing before me talking to their god or telling me they will fix my problem by talking to their "good buddy" is not appreciated...not one little bit.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:15 AM

1,883 posts, read 3,001,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
I was a practicing Christian till I was a little over sixty years old. Then after studying the bible and specifically the new testament for more than forty years I knew I wouldn't believe it if I lived to 100. This has already happened to me dozens of times and this week two others put the same thing on me. After someone I've known and in many cases been friends with for decades finds out about my present status of denial they change the expression on their face and tell me they will PRAY for me.

Here's how it appears to me. After finding out I don't believe what they believe, for which there's not one iota of proof, they're going to speak to their personal friend and try to get him to forcefully change my will and opinion so that my eternal soul can be saved.

How do you see it?
Back to the OP on this,I would ask why someone choosing to pray to a god you don't believe in, in private,for an outcome you don't believe can possibly influence you, upsets you?If God doesn't exist,then they are just spinning their wheels.Why would what they do in private upset you?

Old 04-25-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifertexan View Post
Back to the OP on this,I would ask why someone choosing to pray to a god you don't believe in, in private,for an outcome you don't believe can possibly influence you, upsets you?If God doesn't exist,then they are just spinning their wheels.Why would what they do in private upset you?
It's like everything else about the Christian faith...the arrogance:

John 14:6

"Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

Old 04-25-2010, 10:07 AM

1,883 posts, read 3,001,789 times
Quote:
It's like everything else about the Christian faith...the arrogance:

John 14:6

"Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

Doesn't answer why someone praying for you in the privacy of their home is somehow hurting you.If someone told me they were going to pray to the Flying Spaghetti Monster for my conversion I would not be mad,I would laugh and say well,good luck with that.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:09 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Quote:
I was a practicing Christian till I was a little over sixty years old. Then after studying the bible and specifically the new testament for more than forty years I knew I wouldn't believe it if I lived to 100. This has already happened to me dozens of times and this week two others put the same thing on me. After someone I've known and in many cases been friends with for decades finds out about my present status of denial they change the expression on their face and tell me they will PRAY for me.

Here's how it appears to me. After finding out I don't believe what they believe, for which there's not one iota of proof, they're going to speak to their personal friend and try to get him to forcefully change my will and opinion so that my eternal soul can be saved.

How do you see it?
Leave them be. They are brainwashed and there is nothing you can do for them.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Leave them be. They are brainwashed and there is nothing you can do for them.
More than likely the whole truth...sadly.

Old 04-25-2010, 04:32 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
Quote:

How do you see it?
Chin up, old man

Old 04-25-2010, 05:20 PM

360 posts, read 444,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George
I wouldn't have a problem with anybody worshiping any of the thousands of mythical gods which mankind has imagined during and since the stone age if he would just keep his mouth shut about them. When someone believes they must bring me to their god they just invaded my privacy and my own ideas. I don't need some half educated bible thumper to bring me their idea of salvation.
This is one of the major arguments I see in favor of atheism over Christianity and one I continually have problems with. For one thing, we do have freedom of worship and all that other good stuff for a reason; it is entirely our right to practice what we believe within civil laws. By saying they are going to pray for you, they are basically saying they're "wishing the best" for you; there is nothing harmful about wanting to help someone in moderation, and I don't see why praying would be taking it too far. If they have truly somehow offended you by saying that, I think the fault would be on you and not on them; their intentions were well-meaning and sincere, and it was you that was taking it too far, dragging it out without reason.

Secondly, for most Christians, evangelizing is essentially in their nature and they are not just told to do it, they want to do it. I mean, come on, if one truly finds peace and happiness and truth in the belief in God and sees someone not believing, would they not feel a desire to give others the peace and happiness and truth? Sharing is caring, my friend.

Thirdly, it makes some atheists look like complete hypocrites to say what you said (not that you are a hypocrite yourself, Melvin.George; I don't know if you ever exercise your ability to convert others to atheism or not and that is beside the point), because many do exactly what they accuse Christians of. More often than not atheists I see or hear of keep challenging Christians and their beliefs and such, urging them to abandon their "fairy tales" and "myths" for "reason" and "science." Excuse my bluntness, but that's a load of baloney! They fail to see they are evangelizing their own belief, and unlike Christians, for no good reason. Honestly, I don't see how anyone could defend doing what some atheists do, while Christians have an understandable motive or motives: either they believe their God wants them to convert others, or they simply want to spread the joy, or both.

What such an argument boils down to is not just atheism, but anti-theism; atheists attack the followers of religion, it seems, simply to attack them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George
One way or another they will learn that standing before me talking to their god or telling me they will fix my problem by talking to their "good buddy" is not appreciated...not one little bit.
As I've aforementioned, if they are doing it as you are describing, it's not them not respecting your refusal for help but you not respecting their offer for help. They are entirely well-meaning and sincere, for goodness sake; even if you don't appreciate that they only want to help the least you could do is fake a thank you. My gosh, has sincerity left you in your old age (excuse me if that sounds rude, but your constant reminder of your age to readers gives me the impression you're encouraging us to think you're all old and crotchety).

Old 04-25-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioanKid View Post
evangelizing is essentially in their nature and they are not just told to do it, they want to do it.
Well...I read their book of fables repeatedly and I know they're told to do it and that's the main reason I call their hand on it. I don't want them to do it to me. I don't believe their book.

Quote:
atheists attack the followers of religion, it seems, simply to attack them.
Maybe on the Internet but by tenfold in my dealing with people atheists usually don't say anything...it's the Christians who are over bearing. How many times have you ever seen an atheist speak before a public event...like the bible thumper did this afternoon before the Aaron's 500 NASCAR race at Talladega, AL? Over 150,000 people sat there and listened to it. Well...maybe just sat there.

Quote:
They are entirely well-meaning and sincere, for goodness sake; even if you don't appreciate that they only want to help the least you could do is fake a thank you.
It'll be a cold day in mythical hell before I say anything of the sort. I usually don't say anything but I damn sure don't lie.

Quote:
your constant reminder of your age to readers gives me the impression you're encouraging us to think you're all old and crotchety)..
So??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality