Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 08:38 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,250,605 times

Advertisements

well any suggestions

they dont look too happy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 09:30 PM

33,554 posts, read 37,155,629 times
They had lots of fur...Wolf, caribou, seal, fox etc.....No need to grow their own...They did originally came from Africa (Humans are a tropical animal), and as they migrated north they learned how to make use of what was available...Humans migrated out of Africa about 120,000 years ago, had a set back, so the ones that had reached the mid east were killed off by an ice age....

They restarted the migration around 90,000 years ago, then had another major set back when Mount Toba, on the island of Sumatra erupted and plunged the earth into a 6 year winter and thousand year ice age. That killed all but 10,000 humans. Volcanic ash covered India and Pakistan to a depth of five meters. That ash which is still visible today is a record of that event.

A major warming event took place 52,000 years ago allowing the migration to move north. The first migrants crossed the arctic circle about 40,000 years ago, but did not arrive in the North America arctic until about 20,000 years ago....

Inuit have a genetic adaptation that cycles the level of vasoconstriction to keep the extremities safe from cold damage while not losing too much heat. Another adaption they have to conserve heat is a stockier build and shorter limbs...Sort of demonstrates evolution, wouldn't you say? I'm sure had they not had the ability to make shelters and clothing they would have either grown fur or died off.....Why would you think they needed fur?

Old 04-09-2010, 09:45 PM

1,883 posts, read 3,004,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
well any suggestions

they dont look too happy

If this is what passes for intelligent debate with atheists then we Christians are in real trouble.I have to say that it is downright embarrassing to see stuff like this put forth by theists with the expectation that it is any kind of an intelligent argument.

Sad.Very sad.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:54 PM

815 posts, read 1,544,542 times
Because they have come from Siberia (as well as many people).

Old 04-09-2010, 10:01 PM

494 posts, read 890,740 times
Quote:
well any suggestions

they dont look too happy
You're kidding I hope?? Evolution is not Burger King -- you don't get it your way. There is no driving intelligence behind it that suddenly says "Oh see there's a need over here for something, let's whip up a new species." Evolution doesn't happen on demand, simply because there's an adaptational need. I would suggest actually learning what evolution is and how it works before jumping into the big kids pool on the subject.

After you do that, we can discuss how Eskimos have specific adaptational advantages, like their different basal metabolic rate and their body type, and how these differences happened.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:12 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,567,214 times
I'm hoping the person was joking too.

Eskimos are humans who happen to live in high latitudes. Humans do not normally have fur. Granted there are a few humans who have a gene that causes them to be coated in a thick hair, but there wouldn't have been time or need for that trait to become dominant in Eskimos. I'm not even sure it'd have much selection advantage in the polar regions or that humans would find said trait desirable. (For it to be at a selection advantage the people with it would have to be sexually attractive or fertile. Furry people are often shunned or set at a distance more than anything)

Old 04-10-2010, 12:38 AM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifertexan View Post
If this is what passes for intelligent debate with atheists then we Christians are in real trouble.I have to say that it is downright embarrassing to see stuff like this put forth by theists with the expectation that it is any kind of an intelligent argument.
Maybe it was just intended to be a kind of a sarcastic hypothetical question. At least that's how I took it. I thought it was kind of amusing myself (but if I'd taken it to be a serious question, my response would have been pretty much the same as yours.)

Old 04-10-2010, 03:26 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,250,605 times
well its good to see people have a sense of humor

but it did make me think that if the ice age did happen then did'nt it kill off nearly every species or maybe not i dont know-but if it did then then wouldnt evolution of had to start again-so instead of it taking billions of years wouldnt it have only taken (whenever the ice age ended).???????

Old 04-10-2010, 03:54 AM

33,554 posts, read 37,155,629 times
Quote:

but it did make me think that if the ice age did happen then did'nt it kill off nearly every species or maybe not i dont know-but if it did then then wouldnt evolution of had to start again-so instead of it taking billions of years wouldnt it have only taken (whenever the ice age ended).???????
Good question. Evolution has never stopped, but various extinction events killed off many species... 99.9% of all species that ever lived are no longer with us.

Extinction

Old 04-10-2010, 04:45 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,054,665 times
Quote:

Ice did not cover the entire planet. The equatorial area remained warm, allowing humans, etc to survive as a species.

The range of our species, as well as that of other species, was limited to the warmer areas. After the glaciers started to retreat, we followed them into the newly thawed areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality