Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 11:05 PM

380 posts, read 962,059 times

Advertisements

In the context of the world today is it immoral to have a large family? Maybe in Europe, the answer would be no? In China, yes?

What about in the United States?

As a "breeding" age person, who was raised a Christian but not particulary a deep believer, I believe that in the context of the world's population it is immoral to have a large family. However I don't believe this may always be the case. I don't live on a farm....

http://users.rcn.com/woudyet/chapter_11_why_large_families_to.htm

This link will take you, if you choose to read, toward an argument that supports my position.

I earnestly would like to hear from people that believe we do in fact need large families. Quotations from other sources like the Bible or anywhere else to support you position would be great. OBVIOUSLY, this is a touchy subject so may we be civilized.

Last edited by amIayankee?; 04-15-2010 at 11:06 PM.. Reason: typos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 11:09 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,862,986 times
Immoral?? Irresponsible perhaps but not immoral.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:49 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,564,648 times
The people who will choose to have a large family is relatively small. It's neither immoral nor necessarily irresponsible. (Although I guess it might be irresponsible if the person is truly incompetent to the task)

Overpopulation, where it occurs, is more due to a variety of socio-cultural factors rather than people as individuals choosing to have many kids. In particular societies where child labor makes children "profitable" and a woman's value is strongly connected to her ability to have children. So you see large families being somewhat common even in some relatively modern Arab nations as they are still highly patriarchal etc.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:25 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,514,650 times
I see no reason to believe it is immoral to have a large family..If you love children, love being a stay at home mom (if you are the female) and being involved with all their activities, along with raising good moral , law abiding responsible adults and can afford them, why not? We had 4, and I would have been happy to have 6 or seven in other circumstances..

Besides when they grow up they give you lots of fun ,beautiful grandbabies to keep you young..

Old 04-16-2010, 09:15 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,503,872 times
What defines a large family?

Old 04-16-2010, 10:13 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,044,013 times
Well the Duggers have a large family so large in fact her older children end up taking care of the little ones and now she has a baby in nicu and she has a baby at home. Now is that responsible? I feel sorry for the baby at home who doesn't get much mom time I bet. Are they going to let G-d decide if they have # 20 and they have a premie who will need extra care but with so many will the premie get all the attention she needs.

Have you all heard of the quiver ful movement?

Its the strangest idea.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:23 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,017,135 times
I'd say it is irresponsible. There was a kid in my high school who had 17 brothers and sisters and his parents never had time to take care of the middle and younger children. Almost no one has the kind of time to take care of that many children, which tends to end up being more harmful to the child.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:32 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,503,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Well the Duggers have a large family so large in fact her older children end up taking care of the little ones and now she has a baby in nicu and she has a baby at home. Now is that responsible? I feel sorry for the baby at home who doesn't get much mom time I bet. Are they going to let G-d decide if they have # 20 and they have a premie who will need extra care but with so many will the premie get all the attention she needs.

Have you all heard of the quiver ful movement?

Its the strangest idea.
So, 18 is too large? What about 17? What about 8? What about a family that can afford and care for 8? A family that cannot afford and care for 8? Or even 2?

Old 04-17-2010, 02:13 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,044,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
So, 18 is too large? What about 17? What about 8? What about a family that can afford and care for 8? A family that cannot afford and care for 8? Or even 2?
Personally I think its irresponsible to have large families and I think 1-3 is a good number but that's my opinion. The Duggers clearly have enough money because they are on tv weekly. I am sure they get paid. They had an episode where they went down to South America to help out in an orphanage and all I could think of was that with all the children who need adopting this family of 18 is helping in an orphanage. I have much more respect for those large families made up of adopted children.

I think G-d wants us to act in responsible ways and to help make this world a better place and there are limited resources to go around and that will only get worse in the future.

Old 04-17-2010, 03:26 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,610,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Immoral?? Irresponsible perhaps but not immoral.
My thoughts exactly! And if the family is a family in every positive sense of the word, it might not be all that irresponsible, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality