Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 10:58 PM

673 posts, read 3,089,957 times

Advertisements

I just felt like making a post/rant about recent series bad luck, which were nothing life threatening but annoying events. I consider myself a non-religious person, more like Atheist or Agnostic these days. I did come from a Muslim background, but these days I find any religion hard to believe really. Anyhow a recent chain bad event made wonder if God or Karma is out get me. Sometimes certain events in life make me think of a greater power, but later on I usually write off just random chance it actually occurred.

Anyhow it all started out Aug. 1st when decided I might as well go check out a full nude strip club for 1st time in my life. After all I really don't much moral objection to this anymore. It actually was pretty enjoyable while I was there. I was left with the impression if I spent extra $$$ I could get a whole a lot more than just lap dance from a hot girl. I was definitely planning checkout other clubs next weekend.

Mine bad luck started Tuesday (8/3), I am applying for Executive MBA program and I need to get recommendation letter from a someone by Friday, but turns out the person couldn't. So I had scramble to find a replacement. 2nd issue is my throat is starting to feel sore and painful but not too bad yet. Note, I am pretty suspicious I caught something from strippers in club. 3rd issue, I had appointed that evening with Lasik eye doctor and I leave 50 minutes before the given time. Well, I this tons of traffic, 3 different car accidents and end up 20 minutes late!

On Wednesday (8/4), I wake like 4 am and my throat is definitely killing me. I couldn't get good sleep so I end up not going in work and feeling really sick. Even worse is that mine father is feeling even worse. Mine parent life in mine house and sometimes mine father gets so week he can't walk or talk. So while I am sick, I help him up and get him some food since mine mom when to work. I didn't get much rest, but felt better that I could go to work on Thursday and though should be cured by the weekend. I though things could get worse, but was wrong about that.

On Thursday, I was trying to get mine 4th Level up manager to approve mine request for getting into the Executive MS program. I had not response since Monday. So I ask mine 2nd Level manager to bug her. On Friday still no response (I need this by Aug 9th), so I bug mine 1st Level and 3rd Manager. Only on Monday (after 1 week) the approval is done. Took way too long...

On Friday (8/6) I wake up 3 am because it VERY hot (86F). Turns out mine down stair AC broke and it usually 100F+ in DFW these days. I called AC guys, and he hesitant to come in since mine upstairs AC worked. He finally agreed to show up later on Friday. So I go to work on Friday, usually it is pretty slow. However, at 12 pm I get message of critical software program that must be fixed ASAP! The problem was of course in mine software code! I finally managed make quick fix and leave to meet AC guy, luckily mine dad was feeling better and was at home. Turns out AC guys doesn't have part of fix it and order will only come in later next week!!!

So on Friday night I decide to sleep upstairs where AC works. Note I was feeling better sore throat wise at this point. However, I wake up Saturday feeling worse from AC blowing directly on me all night. Also, I started get cough/chest congestion. I turned to be fairly sickly and annoyed all rest of weekend.

Ok so now it is Tuesday (8/10), the AC still isn't fixed because the part hasn't arrived. I am still got congestion/cough probably due to AC being off. AC guys maybe could fix the AC on Wednesday. Again I am thinking nothing else could go wrong and I will finally get well soon and have some fun. Well I was taking shower to cool off from 85F inside temp. The shower head starts to leak horribly and then it finally falls right off!! So I need to run across the house to another bathroom to finish mine shower. Now I have shower head to repair this week and meanwhile I need use another shower in the house! So no AC, I am still kind of sick, Executive MS class starts this weekend, and now more work to do! I might just have to pray to God nothing else bad happens and I manage get this problems sorted out fast...

Funny thing is I had similar good luck or bad situation occur making me wonder if this all really just coincidence? Is there God or maybe Karma coming influencing any of these events in mine life? As mentioned before, I will probably eventually stop telling myself to stop being so superstitious and move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 12:00 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times
You can take it as 'chance'. This sort of thing happens to me all the time. I was doing a bit of typing while letting the TV chunder while a decent programme came on and I typed 'Not really' at the Same Time that someone said it on the TV. It made me sit up, but it was one of those thousand to one chances that happened to coincide. Meaningless really.

There was also the time I'd been off smoking and I went back to it. I got a terrible pain in my jaw and I wondered - is this it? In fact it wasn't and after a week, it went away.

Ordinary stuff you don't notice but, if you are in a 'should I be doing this?' position it is so easy to interpret it as a 'Warning'. And, if you have a religious background that is still hanging around, it is tempting to interpret anything like that as a 'warning from on High'.

Lucy van Pelt
"Why does it always rain whenever I want to do something?"

Linus: "Actually it doesn't. It's only because you're disappointed now that you forget the many times you've been able to.."

Lucy "WHY DOES IT ALWAYS RAIN WHENEVER I WANT TO DO SOMETHING???!!!"

Linus "maybe you're just unlucky."

It works the other way, too.

"Me: "So what makes you think He'll actually give you the money if you've never talked to anyone who got the money?"
Mary: "Well, He gives you a little bit before you leave. Maybe you'll get a raise, maybe you'll win a small lotto, maybe you'll just find a twenty-dollar bill on the street."
Me: "What's that got to do with Hank?"
John: "Hank has certain 'connections.'"

Jhuger - Kissing Hank's Ass

There was an occasion where an office relocation enabled me to buy a house which enabled me to get a visa for my lady so we could get married. I could easily have seen it as an answer to a prayer, but I don't ever pray.

It's this meaningless type of coincidence that the cults and religions use to delude their followers into thinking that 'There's sometrhing inexplicable going on'.

Keep your head on right way round and don't let superstitious fears turn it back to front.

Now I'll sit and wait for the flood of :

"My auntie fell and broke a rib and the doctors said it would never heal and now she's ski - jumping in the rockies and the doctors were dumbfounded! Explain THAT, unbeliever!" posts.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:21 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Bit like wondering why the hell the toast always falls buttered side down when you drop it. It doesn't...you only remember the times that it does.

Then there is 'Murphy's 50-50-90 Law'. If you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, you're 90% certain to get it wrong.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:48 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,646,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
I just felt like making a post/rant about recent series bad luck, which were nothing life threatening but annoying events. I consider myself a non-religious person, more like Atheist or Agnostic these days. I did come from a Muslim background, but these days I find any religion hard to believe really. Anyhow a recent chain bad event made wonder if God or Karma is out get me. Sometimes certain events in life make me think of a greater power, but later on I usually write off just random chance it actually occurred.

Anyhow it all started out Aug. 1st when decided I might as well go check out a full nude strip club for 1st time in my life. After all I really don't much moral objection to this anymore. It actually was pretty enjoyable while I was there. I was left with the impression if I spent extra $$$ I could get a whole a lot more than just lap dance from a hot girl. I was definitely planning checkout other clubs next weekend.

Mine bad luck started Tuesday (8/3), I am applying for Executive MBA program and I need to get recommendation letter from a someone by Friday, but turns out the person couldn't. So I had scramble to find a replacement. 2nd issue is my throat is starting to feel sore and painful but not too bad yet. Note, I am pretty suspicious I caught something from strippers in club. 3rd issue, I had appointed that evening with Lasik eye doctor and I leave 50 minutes before the given time. Well, I this tons of traffic, 3 different car accidents and end up 20 minutes late!

On Wednesday (8/4), I wake like 4 am and my throat is definitely killing me. I couldn't get good sleep so I end up not going in work and feeling really sick. Even worse is that mine father is feeling even worse. Mine parent life in mine house and sometimes mine father gets so week he can't walk or talk. So while I am sick, I help him up and get him some food since mine mom when to work. I didn't get much rest, but felt better that I could go to work on Thursday and though should be cured by the weekend. I though things could get worse, but was wrong about that.

On Thursday, I was trying to get mine 4th Level up manager to approve mine request for getting into the Executive MS program. I had not response since Monday. So I ask mine 2nd Level manager to bug her. On Friday still no response (I need this by Aug 9th), so I bug mine 1st Level and 3rd Manager. Only on Monday (after 1 week) the approval is done. Took way too long...

On Friday (8/6) I wake up 3 am because it VERY hot (86F). Turns out mine down stair AC broke and it usually 100F+ in DFW these days. I called AC guys, and he hesitant to come in since mine upstairs AC worked. He finally agreed to show up later on Friday. So I go to work on Friday, usually it is pretty slow. However, at 12 pm I get message of critical software program that must be fixed ASAP! The problem was of course in mine software code! I finally managed make quick fix and leave to meet AC guy, luckily mine dad was feeling better and was at home. Turns out AC guys doesn't have part of fix it and order will only come in later next week!!!

So on Friday night I decide to sleep upstairs where AC works. Note I was feeling better sore throat wise at this point. However, I wake up Saturday feeling worse from AC blowing directly on me all night. Also, I started get cough/chest congestion. I turned to be fairly sickly and annoyed all rest of weekend.

Ok so now it is Tuesday (8/10), the AC still isn't fixed because the part hasn't arrived. I am still got congestion/cough probably due to AC being off. AC guys maybe could fix the AC on Wednesday. Again I am thinking nothing else could go wrong and I will finally get well soon and have some fun. Well I was taking shower to cool off from 85F inside temp. The shower head starts to leak horribly and then it finally falls right off!! So I need to run across the house to another bathroom to finish mine shower. Now I have shower head to repair this week and meanwhile I need use another shower in the house! So no AC, I am still kind of sick, Executive MS class starts this weekend, and now more work to do! I might just have to pray to God nothing else bad happens and I manage get this problems sorted out fast...

Funny thing is I had similar good luck or bad situation occur making me wonder if this all really just coincidence? Is there God or maybe Karma coming influencing any of these events in mine life? As mentioned before, I will probably eventually stop telling myself to stop being so superstitious and move on.
Everything is going to work out just fine. Just put in your best effort...and get done what you can every day.

Take some Vitamin C, Zinc, and Echinacea with Goldenseal Root...block all your troubles out of your mind...and go back to the stripclub. No way you won't be happy while you are there. Some advice though...only buy lapdances, even if more is offered. Otherwise, you could end up REALLY sick.

Also, even if you aren't religious...there is a thread here by "ptsum" called the "Sacred Circle"...awesome stuff...very uplifting. Check it out.

I'll keep you in my best thoughts, man!

Old 08-11-2010, 02:11 AM

454 posts, read 498,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post

Win or sin.

Christ or nice.

Choice is all yours.

Having said that, we live in a world where the wicked receive what is due righteousness, and righteousness receives what is due wickedness.

Here is some Scripture regarding 'bad luck':

Lamentations 3:1-41

[1] I am the man that hath seen affliction by the rod of his wrath.
[2] He hath led me, and brought me into darkness, but not into light.
[3] Surely against me is he turned; he turneth his hand against me all the day.
[4] My flesh and my skin hath he made old; he hath broken my bones.
[5] He hath builded against me, and compassed me with gall and travail.
[6] He hath set me in dark places, as they that be dead of old.
[7] He hath hedged me about, that I cannot get out: he hath made my chain heavy.
[8] Also when I cry and shout, he shutteth out my prayer.
[9] He hath inclosed my ways with hewn stone, he hath made my paths crooked.
[10] He was unto me as a bear lying in wait, and as a lion in secret places.
[11] He hath turned aside my ways, and pulled me in pieces: he hath made me desolate.
[12] He hath bent his bow, and set me as a mark for the arrow.
[13] He hath caused the arrows of his quiver to enter into my reins.
[14] I was a derision to all my people; and their song all the day.
[15] He hath filled me with bitterness, he hath made me drunken with wormwood.
[16] He hath also broken my teeth with gravel stones, he hath covered me with ashes.
[17] And thou hast removed my soul far off from peace: I forgat prosperity.
[18] And I said, My strength and my hope is perished from the LORD:
[19] Remembering mine affliction and my misery, the wormwood and the gall.
[20] My soul hath them still in remembrance, and is humbled in me.
[21] This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope.
[22] It is of the LORD's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not.
[23] They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness.
[24] The LORD is my portion, saith my soul; therefore will I hope in him.
[25] The LORD is good unto them that wait for him, to the soul that seeketh him.
[26] It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD.
[27] It is good for a man that he bear the yoke in his youth.
[28] He sitteth alone and keepeth silence, because he hath borne it upon him.
[29] He putteth his mouth in the dust; if so be there may be hope.
[30] He giveth his cheek to him that smiteth him: he is filled full with reproach.
[31] For the Lord will not cast off for ever:
[32] But though he cause grief, yet will he have compassion according to the multitude of his mercies.
[33] For he doth not afflict willingly nor grieve the children of men.
[34] To crush under his feet all the prisoners of the earth,
[35] To turn aside the right of a man before the face of the most High,
[36] To subvert a man in his cause, the Lord approveth not.
[37] Who is he that saith, and it cometh to pass, when the Lord commandeth it not?
[38] Out of the mouth of the most High proceedeth not evil and good?
[39] Wherefore doth a living man complain, a man for the punishment of his sins?
[40] Let us search and try our ways, and turn again to the LORD.
[41] Let us lift up our heart with our hands unto God in the heavens.

Best of luck with the decision regarding morality vs immorality.

Always remember, the devil sure does feel good in the moment, pain always comes later, otherwise no one would follow him.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Everything is going to work out just fine. Just put in your best effort...and get done what you can every day.

Take some Vitamin C, Zinc, and Echinacea with Goldenseal Root...block all your troubles out of your mind...and go back to the stripclub. No way you won't be happy while you are there. Some advice though...only buy lapdances, even if more is offered. Otherwise, you could end up REALLY sick.

Also, even if you aren't religious...there is a thread here by "ptsum" called the "Sacred Circle"...awesome stuff...very uplifting. Check it out.

I'll keep you in my best thoughts, man!
We have our disagreements and slugfests, my man, but you hit a Six here.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:57 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,646,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
We have our disagreements and slugfests, my man, but you hit a Six here.
What's a "Six" AREQUIPA?

I feel bad for that fella. We've all been in that position...overwhelmed, everything going wrong, too much on your plate, can't count on others to come through like they are supposed to, and don't feel well to top it all off.

Just gotta "continue to march", and find comfort where you can.

It may sound strange...but I find debating you guys to be a cool diversion from everything I have to deal with and think about. I can get lost in it for a few minutes here and there as I write a post, and it "removes" me from what's that's going on around me. You guys crack me up...and every once in a while I crack myself up. In a way, the debate here IS my "cup of tea in the pavilion". A respite from the "Twilight Zone" that is my life...planning & zoning boards, all kind of other town/city/state/federal officials, bankers & other "money men", lawyers, and crazy porn girls. Yup...that'll work to scramble your brain!

Old 08-11-2010, 10:03 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
What's a "Six" AREQUIPA?
Cricket old chap...Cricket!

Old 08-11-2010, 10:25 AM

[quote=GldnRule;15428189]What's a "Six" AREQUIPA?[quote]

.. hits that reach the boundary of the field are automatically awarded four runs if the ball touches the ground en route to the boundary or six runs if the ball clears the boundary on the full. (Wiki)

In baseball, this would be the equivalent of a 'Home Run'.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:58 PM

454 posts, read 498,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Cricket old chap...Cricket!
Cricket?!? You gotta know what a crumpet is to knows how to play cricket!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality