Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 01:59 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure whether I believe there are aliens out there right now (though logically, it would make less sense for there not to be any aliens, given the size of the universe), but I find this whole idea--and Mr. Hawking--fascinating.

I'll look forward to hearing more about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 02:01 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
A scientist's opinion? Last time I checked, they were the ones who totally F***ed up the world:d
Way OT, victorianpunk. This doesn't address the OP at all. One can make such assertions about ANY group. How easily can we say religion has f*cked up the world, too? You've thrown a rabbit into a pit of rabid dogs as a distraction, hoping the dogs will jump on this and get sidetracked, but the one thing you really haven't done is addressed the question. At all.

Please, for all our sakes, try to remain OT. If you have a gripe against scientists, start your own thread. I'm not a mod...just a person with at least average intelligence. Anyone can see this old "get them p*ssed so they move along from the actual point" tactic.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:07 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,957,328 times
I agree with Hawking in as much, I think the possibility is "very likely" that something exists out there. What those something are is another matter. I have no idea. Science fiction shows so many possibilities: from the nice aliens of Close Encouters to the destructive ones in Independence Day. Of course, any species that would come here has to solve the whole problem of light travel. Alien life might not be intelligent at all. Who knows?

Since movies were like District 9 were mentioned, I could see humans reacting that way toward alen life that would come here. I can also see the scenario as shown in Avatar. Pre-technological indiginous civilizations would have much to fear from space-faring and colonizing humans I think. Being Native, yep, I can see that scenario playing out.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:59 PM

768 posts, read 1,088,285 times
First of all, there is some part of me that thinks Hawking is cheapening himself, not by entering the debate about the existence of alien life, but about speculating what type of beings the aliens would be. But that's just me I guess.

My opinion is that if there is a species which has been capable of developing the kind of technology required to travel the vast distances of space, they would almost of necessity have to be peaceful and cooperative beings. To develop that kind of technology would no doubt take eons of time and if the beings were not peaceful and cooperative, they would have probably destroyed themselves long before arriving at the point where the technology could be created or discovered. Therefore malevolent beings would not have survived to travel here.

This is one of the reasons I hold no optimism that the human race will one day travel through space and visit other worlds.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:16 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Consent Withdrawn View Post
First of all, there is some part of me that thinks Hawking is cheapening himself, not by entering the debate about the existence of alien life, but about speculating what type of beings the aliens would be. But that's just me I guess.

My opinion is that if there is a species which has been capable of developing the kind of technology required to travel the vast distances of space, they would almost of necessity have to be peaceful and cooperative beings. To develop that kind of technology would no doubt take eons of time and if the beings were not peaceful and cooperative, they would have probably destroyed themselves long before arriving at the point where the technology could be created or discovered. Therefore malevolent beings would not have survived to travel here.
I don't really buy that logic. They would likely/probably have to be psychologically able to work in groups and have a sense of self-preservation, but that doesn't really imply peace and benevolence to me. Perhaps they could live under a kind of "Cold War" that lasts eons and encourages technological competition.

And it's not altogether necessary that a species be malevolent to cause some harm or dislocation. Imagine a species that exhales chemicals that are poisonous to us or whose technology emits some form of radiation that harms us. I remember a story/legend of the Vikings having a peaceful meeting with the American Indians, but it going badly because they did not know full-blooded American Indians are generally lactose intolerant. So the Viking gift of dairy goods "poisoned", in a sense, the Indians.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:54 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,716,826 times
Quote:
Substitute space with oceans in your idea, think back to the 16th century and see how benevolent European settlers appeared to the natives.

Many species here on earth are able to cooperate with others of their own species or family group, but that doesn't make them friendly to everything else. There's a reason you're not supposed to get between a momma bear and her cub, and it's not because they're not cooperating amongst themselves to survive.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:58 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,626,210 times
If you consider what happens when a species with certain advantages in survival happen to enter a new environment where they have no natural predators it's usually a disaster. All animals compete for resources and it's usually a catastrophe for the animals who aren't as good at it. Cane toads were introduced to Australia by man to supposedly help one problem but they quickly spread out of control and overran the environment. An alien species more advanced than human beings would probably do the same thing. The friendly aliens in the movie ET are very likely to be the Disney version of what would really happen if highly advanced aliens discovered our planet. They might think of us in much the same way that we see cockroaches, something that needs to be exterminated. I think Hawking is probably right.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:14 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,864,701 times
Quote:
First of all, there is some part of me that thinks Hawking is cheapening himself, not by entering the debate about the existence of alien life, but about speculating what type of beings the aliens would be.

Hummmmm, I'm not sure that Hawking is stating resolutely anything of the kind. My take is, he is saying, "Hey, let's play this a bit more low key until we find out what we are dealing with"

Old 04-29-2010, 10:32 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,002,363 times
I can see Hawkings point on this and I would agree. Assuming another race of beings reached the ability to travel vast amounts of space in short amount of time would lead one to expect that they do have far greater intelligence than ourselves. Working on this aspect then one could come to the conclusion that they would seek to dominate a species of lessor intelligence. We do it all the time, I see them as being no different.

Then we have the aspect that if these beings have reach that point in their civilization to accomplish this, then they must have overcome the problems of society that we have, thus rendering them a peaceful species.

But one never know until contact is made, that's one hell of a chance to take.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:02 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
Then we have the aspect that if these beings have reach that point in their civilization to accomplish this, then they must have overcome the problems of society that we have, thus rendering them a peaceful species.
I don't think that would necessarily render them a 'peaceful species' toward other species. They might think of us as vermin to be exterminated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality