Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 02:57 PM

311 posts, read 1,376,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
Even worse, he's a pastor and has stated he would kick out any black person that walked through the door of the church.
This "pastor" does not read his Bible, much less follow it. He will have much to answer to God for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2007, 04:27 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
FL_TN_Nana wrote:
Quote:
If Hispanic is not a race, then the people could be any race with a Hispanic ethnicity...is that correct?
No, not exactly. I was thinking in terms of mainly Spanish ancestry. If the person happens to be black or a mixture of black and white, for example, then that would be different. Latin America actually is very diverse racially. There is a large population of European ancestry, mainly from Spain and Portugal but also other nations. There is also a very large percentage from various Indian populations. The caucasian racial group is made up of a number of subgroups which include all of Europe and the Mediterranean nations including certain North African populations so it's quite a large and diverse grouping.

Old 06-14-2007, 05:30 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,199,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolfan View Post
This "pastor" does not read his Bible, much less follow it. He will have much to answer to God for.
I whole-heartedly agree!

Old 09-01-2007, 12:35 PM

261 posts, read 621,676 times
The bible never said that interracial marriages were wrong. It was a question of different values that the Lord was concerned about. He didn't want the Israelites to be corrupted by the unholy practices of people that did not follow Him.

It's amazing how many people (especially in the south) have grown up hearing that interracial marriage is wrong in God's eyes, it's not. That is a lie from the pit of Hell. Racists and hate groups will definitely have to answer to Him for their twisting of the bible.

Old 09-01-2007, 01:22 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Ok, from what I have read, in the Old Testiment God kept telling his chosen not to mix with this or that group, and God often wiped out whole peoples. I think racists and maybe some orthodox people may cite this as a reason not to mix racially.

I do not consider orthodox peoples of either religion racist. On the contrary, they are some of the gentlest and kindest people I have ever met. They just follow what they believe to be God's pronouncements even though they make no sense and nobody can give a good reason for it.

They, in my estimation, are just misguided, but well meaning and sincere.

I think God is more concerned with the development of the soul rather than with its present container. But then, I believe we incarnate into many races on this planet.

THis is one of the problems with dogma in religion. Even when there is no rational need for it, people will make up reasons and excuses to follow it.

Old 09-01-2007, 08:32 PM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Ok, from what I have read, in the Old Testiment God kept telling his chosen not to mix with this or that group, and God often wiped out whole peoples. I think racists and maybe some orthodox people may cite this as a reason not to mix racially.
As "keepthefaith" stated, that has more to do with not being "corrupted" by people of other faiths... which is a belief that many Jews (not myself) still believe in strongly. We're not racist in that way, since it doesn't mean we dislike other people (or consider them inferior) - some of us just don't want to mix faiths in marriage, since it leads to confusion and conflict. As for myself, I've actually never dated a fellow Jew, and most of my ex-boyfriends have been either Black, Hispanic or Native American... so obviously I don't follow that belief! However, I would love to marry a Jewish man, and have been attending Jewish singles mixers in an attempt to meet one. But if I end up with someone else, oh well!

Quote:
I do not consider orthodox peoples of either religion racist. On the contrary, they are some of the gentlest and kindest people I have ever met. They just follow what they believe to be God's pronouncements even though they make no sense and nobody can give a good reason for it.
Yes, that is mostly true... imo, as long as they don't use it as an excuse to HATE, there's nothing wrong with wanting to marry within your faith. You can still consider others equal, and have friends of different races & religions, without actually planning to marry them. I understand that, since like I said above, I would love to marry a Jewish man... if only for the reason of child-rearing, since I'd want to raise my kids in the Jewish faith. So I guess an Atheist/Agnostic would be fine too, as long as they don't mind their kids going to Sunday School!

Old 09-01-2007, 08:53 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,792,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
To clarify, God told the Israelites not to mix their faith with the religious practices of other groups. The people God "wiped out" were people who did not obey His Word. And, unfortunately, you are correct that racists and other, shall we say politely, confused people tend to use this as an excuse not to mix racially. But that is not what the Bible teaches. Skin color has nothing to do with it. It is whether both people in a marriage believe in God that counts.

However, if they knew their Bible, there are examples of accepted marriages between Israelites and other people groups, or races, namely Rahab - a femal Canaanite (descendant of Ham) married an Israelite (decendant of Shem). Another is Ruth (a Moabitess) who married an Israelite. It is shown in the Bible Ruth professed her belief in God.

Both of these marriages are "inter-racial" but because they believed in God, they were acceptable regardless of their "race". Also, because they are both shown in the geneology of Jesus, this also shows they were acceptable to God.

Old 09-02-2007, 10:07 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yes, that is mostly true... imo, as long as they don't use it as an excuse to HATE, there's nothing wrong with wanting to marry within your faith. You can still consider others equal, and have friends of different races & religions, without actually planning to marry them. I understand that, since like I said above, I would love to marry a Jewish man... if only for the reason of child-rearing, since I'd want to raise my kids in the Jewish faith. So I guess an Atheist/Agnostic would be fine too, as long as they don't mind their kids going to Sunday School!
I don't know how true this is, but I read of a study that said marriages of mixed faith, but with both parties having the same degree of reverance, last longer than if one believes in a faith and the other does not.

I think the idea is that there is an understanding of and mutual respect for each other.

I used to correspond with a woman who I met on a pagan forum. She said one parent was Christian and one, Jewish. She was moved back and forth between both religions, in some strange way, the parents thinking that she would make her decision when she got older.

She understood when I and others would complain of dogma in religion. She said, though it only the experience of one person, when she had questions about faith, the Christian clergy would just tell her to accept what they said on faith, while the rabbi would stay with her, listen to her doubts, and come up with examples and counter arguments, sometimes bringing tomes with him to refer to. She said the rabbi treated her as though she had a brain and was very stimulating to talk to.

Funny thing, from my backround as a fundie Christian, I have grown to not care for fundies of any sort, yet when I was working the people who I found the most interesting as well as honest, sincere, decent and reliable were the orthodox Jews.

I wish you luck in your quest because I think I would feel as you do if I stood in your stead.

Old 09-02-2007, 06:30 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,282,884 times
Answer:
I'm a Christian, no problem with this, I mean if I wasn't no problem, if you care enough for a person to marry them, what does it matter to me what color/race they
are? And for us I understand that there is only one Heaven, so since we all are
going there we may as well use this present life as a "dress rehearsal" for those that don't like it, or prefer it.

Old 09-02-2007, 07:51 PM

320 posts, read 296,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I realize that some people still have issues with interracial marriages. I'm wondering what certain religions might have to say on this subject if anything. I see nothing wrong with it at all and I think the younger generation pretty much accepts it. It's probably the older people who just aren't used to the idea that might have a problem with it. I would think that Christians wouldn't have a problem with it although I've never really heard ministers say anything one way or the other (not that I really listen to ministers very often). Does anyone have any thoughts about it?
Not really. I take a similar stand with interracial marriage as I do homosexual marriage: I doubt God cares what two non-related adults do with their genitles. I also doubt God cares what two non-related white/black couples do together. It has nothing to do with accepting Christ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality