Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2010, 09:59 AM

86 posts, read 231,730 times

Advertisements

An article today in the RGJ talked about the new air traffic control tower at the Reno Tahoe International airport. I was amazed at the negativity in most of the comments in response to the new tower. Let me respond here (even if its only venting) since I have limited space on rgj.

"federal dollars...dont you mean tax dollars" was one attack. Faa Reauthorization budgets include potential, future and current FAA projects. The money was already going to be spent somewhere. It was already in the FAA budget! Why not use it here in Reno? It gave 140 Nevadans construction jobs!

Evidently the consensus is that the old tower was sufficient and the new was a waste. ... The old tower was built in 1957. Seriously. The equipment we used was 1950's equipment. Honestly. The height was less than 70 ft. There are areas on the airport I saw for the first time in the new tower.(195 ft) The terrain becomes less of a factor in the new tower. Try to pick out a small plane flying along Mount Rose. Especially in the summer when all is brown in the mountains to the east. It amazes me how many air traffic "experts" we have here telling me what I need to do my job. The funny thing is most of them still think air traffic controllers wave wands to planes on the ramp.

I dont get it....I seriously dont. The airport is first exposure to Reno for tourists who fly in. This is a building we can all be proud of with state of the art equipment.
I dont fly my family in 1950's planes to go on vacation so I dont expect the equipment that helps keep them from hitting each other to be 1950's either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 04:01 AM

197 posts, read 549,324 times
if we dont need it then no sense in wastng money if we need it best use it on this so people an plays dont fall from the sky

Old 10-29-2010, 12:11 AM

1,659 posts, read 2,776,785 times
Geez, I'm glad they did update the tower because I have to fly home next month! Better safe than roadkill! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area