Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 08:48 PM

44 posts, read 109,261 times

Advertisements

My wife and I visited Genoa and it seems like a great retirement place. We love to ski, hike,cycle,snowshoe and x-country ski. We like that just up the road in Reno there is a major airport, university, medical school, AAA baseball team, opera, symphony and the riverwalk area. The housing is reasonable compared to where we are now. We don't mind a short winter.
Any comments? Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 12:50 AM

1,812 posts, read 3,359,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
My wife and I visited Genoa and it seems like a great retirement place. We love to ski, hike,cycle,snowshoe and x-country ski. We like that just up the road in Reno there is a major airport, university, medical school, AAA baseball team, opera, symphony and the riverwalk area. The housing is reasonable compared to where we are now. We don't mind a short winter.
Any comments? Thanks!!!

Genoa is A HOUR away from Reno...Winters are LONG in N. NV.

Old 09-10-2011, 04:38 PM

197 posts, read 509,965 times
Quote:
Any comments? Thanks!!!
You will likely love Genoa for all of those reasons....it is remote; but, you already know that : )

Reno does offer the activities you seem to enjoy and San Francisco or Sacramento are within a days ride....

GREAT PLAN!!!

Old 09-10-2011, 06:08 PM

Default Thank You

Thank You both for your replies. 30STM is right about the hour drive...which makes it just a bit too far to be a comfortable commute to Reno......which is a GOOD thing. Right now I live near Pasadena, and let me tell you, if it ONLY takes an hour to get to LAX I count myself fortunate. It seems like Carson has every kind of store (even a Trader Joe's), and all that other stuff is not a regular need for us.
A long winter....heck, I grew up in New Jersey...snow from October to April.....real, nasty, shovel it, can't drive in it snow. So...it looks darn good from where I sit.
Again, I do appreciate your comments!

Thank You!

Old 09-11-2011, 12:51 AM

19,221 posts, read 16,701,480 times
Quote:
Thank You both for your replies. 30STM is right about the hour drive...which makes it just a bit too far to be a comfortable commute to Reno......which is a GOOD thing. Right now I live near Pasadena, and let me tell you, if it ONLY takes an hour to get to LAX I count myself fortunate. It seems like Carson has every kind of store (even a Trader Joe's), and all that other stuff is not a regular need for us.
A long winter....heck, I grew up in New Jersey...snow from October to April.....real, nasty, shovel it, can't drive in it snow. So...it looks darn good from where I sit.
Again, I do appreciate your comments!

Thank You!

Not only Carson City ... Reno has one, too. Wooo Hooo!!!!

Old 09-11-2011, 01:51 AM

Trader joe is just Private labeled merch. Mostly Boxed, Canned, Frozen food and produce that comes from other countires that you have NO IDEA what they spray their crops with. Sadly Trader joe does not support local farmers.

They are good for a few hard to find items but that is really it. Today i went into get dubuffala Mosserela i was looking at the avacados. One small avacado from Hondoras was 1.78 went to Walmart an a avacado from California was .68 cents....

I suggest you stay her for a few weeks or months and see if you really want to live here. We do not Have ALL the stores as you claim. fact a lot of shops closed and some new ones are popping up . but I am not a fan of Fast food and that is what is taking over

Old 09-11-2011, 03:34 PM

Default Re:food

I hear you. It seems there are several farms in Genoa that sell beef and produce raised right on the farms in the Johnson Lane area. I agree that you need to look very carefully at your sources.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:38 AM

try this website Local Harvest / Farmers Markets / Family Farms / CSA / Organic Food for local farmers etc.

Speaking of GENOA........ the Candy Dance is coming up an has a long history in NV

Old 11-09-2011, 10:15 PM

Default Bought it

We bought a place in Genoa!!! Can you say: season pass at Heavenly, here we come!

Old 11-09-2011, 11:54 PM

197 posts, read 509,965 times
Quote:
We bought a place in Genoa!!! Can you say: season pass at Heavenly, here we come!
Congratulations ---- ENJOY : )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area