Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 07:18 PM

13 posts, read 113,403 times

Advertisements

Moving from Oregon, just looking for feedback from Reno/Sparks residents on, best area of the city to live in, traffic, schools, crime, weather, attitude of people etc.
Thanks for your comments in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 09:01 AM

1,197 posts, read 4,783,220 times
Just depends on what your looking for:

Downtown is getting better every day, would be a nice place to live.
Old SW contains the beautiful old homes on decent size lots.
Western Reno is very nice, although pricey. Very suburban
The southern area is also very nice and suburban.
Also consider certain areas of Sparks.

Alll of these places have good schools and low crime. I would stay away from N Reno and Sun Valley, and maybe SE Reno although it is not too bad and getting better. Parts of Sparks are also bad.

Here is a great map for home prices:

Reno Home Prices and Heat Map

Old 01-20-2008, 10:17 AM

40 posts, read 126,673 times
Default reno move

Hi, just moved here from NYC 2 months ago. We moved to the South Suburban area, it is wonderful, I would also look at Spanish Springs. Reno is a nice place to live, the traffic as compared to NYC is great, plenty of shopping, as long as you can live without really good pizza and bagels, Chinese food delivery and frozen seafood.

Old 01-20-2008, 04:46 PM

213 posts, read 522,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by osp14318583 View Post
Moving from Oregon, just looking for feedback from Reno/Sparks residents on, best area of the city to live in, traffic, schools, crime, weather, attitude of people etc.
Thanks for your comments in advance.

I moved from Oregon to Reno just over 2 years ago. I have chosen to live in the N. Valleys and love it. I am out from the hustle and bustle of town, but a 10 minute drive takes me to downtown. I also work a few miles from home, so I don't experience much traffic. And I work swing shift, so that makes a huge difference. The crime rate in the N. Valleys is low. I have had no issues and have never felt uncomfortable.

I would stay away from N. Reno and Sun Valley. There are newer devolpments in N. Sun Valley that are nice. There is also NW Reno, N. Valleys, Sparks ect.

If you're looking to buy, IMO, the best site to use is Prudential Nevada Realty website.
It has a 3D map to look at the home you're viewing and it gives you the # of days on market for the home. Also, some of the real estate agents will send you relocation info that tells about the schools, jobs ect. I am working with a Keller Williams agent currently and she is very knowlegeable about the area.

Last edited by scirocco22; 01-31-2008 at 01:51 PM.. Reason: Let's not link a realty site. Thanks.

Old 01-20-2008, 05:52 PM

40 posts, read 126,673 times
[quote=kickboxer;2568504]Hi, just moved here from NYC 2 months ago. We moved to the South Suburban area, it is wonderful, I would also look at Spanish Springs. Reno is a nice place to live, the traffic as compared to NYC is great, plenty of shopping, as long as you can live without really good pizza and bagels, Chinese food delivery and fresh seafood.[/Have had excellent Thai and Mexican though.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:30 PM

148 posts, read 468,045 times
We live in Southwest Reno, which has been so convenient. People keep asking me how I knew to buy here because everything is so close (airport, mall, shopping, etc.) It is just a central, convenient great location. The schools (Caughlin Ranch Elem., Swope Middle, and Reno High) have a great reputation- be careful, not all schools in the district do. I have found everybody to be friendly and most people love living here. I will be moving to Charlotte to be closer to family but we have really loved Reno and will miss it a lot.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:16 PM

Old SW really is a beautiful neighborhood. That is definitely where I would choose to move.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:29 PM

13 posts, read 113,403 times
Default N Reno/Sun Valley

Thanks for the responses, but wanted some clarification. a couple of you both said avoid N Reno/Sun Valley. What areas are you talking about when you say N Reno? Do you mean the Stead/Lemmon Valley area? Also, Sun Valley I see on the map is right next to Spanish/Wingfield Springs in Sparks which is supposed to be nice, is the something specifically wrong with Sun Valley?
Thank you in advance.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:16 PM

Sun Valley is not a good area. I would not move there.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:14 PM

713 posts, read 2,717,474 times
Downtown would be a great location and I would move to there if I didnt have children. I saw on the local news last night that the old downtown post office is going to be converted into an indoor/outdoor urban shopping area....great location there on the river.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area