Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2009, 01:03 PM

2 posts, read 6,824 times

Advertisements

We are considering moving from the Boise area to Reno for a few reasons, mostly job related. I am a new grad RN and there just aren't jobs here. The Renown Health Centers have offered me a decent paying job, and I am considering it. I do, however, have some questions.

1. The wind isn't a problem. It blows ALL THE TIME here, and I just get used to it. But what are the other weather patterns like? Does the sun shine in the winter? How cold is COLD? I grew up in CO so cold doesn't really bother me either.

2. Meth isn't as much of an issue for me either, because it is the number one export of ID, or so I think. What are the other crimes like? My research has told me it's mostly breaking and entering, car thefts and the like.

3. What is public transportation like? We basically don't have it here, so any would be better.

4. What are the better areas to live in? I HATE subdivisions where your neighbors are five feet over the fence, you have never met them, and your kids are forced to play in the streets. I have two younger kids, and I don't want them to be a bunch of street rats.

5. What kind of concerts go through there? We get bigger shows like Metallica and NIN, so I am assuming that Reno gets some big ones too??

6. Are there private or charter schools to go to? How about alternatives to a public education system that I haven't heard anything good about?

And 7. How is the cost of living? How much does a gallon of milk run? A tank of gas? A month of rent? Will $65000 a year get you anywhere??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 08:01 PM

791 posts, read 2,958,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilia164 View Post
We are considering moving from the Boise area to Reno for a few reasons, mostly job related. I am a new grad RN and there just aren't jobs here. The Renown Health Centers have offered me a decent paying job, and I am considering it. I do, however, have some questions.

1. The wind isn't a problem. It blows ALL THE TIME here, and I just get used to it. But what are the other weather patterns like? Does the sun shine in the winter? How cold is COLD? I grew up in CO so cold doesn't really bother me either.

Holy crap the wind sucks here! the news likes to call anything under 25mph breezy they are in such denial, LOL!. The sun shines a lot that part is very nice. I don't think it's that cold, sure it gets down into the 20s now and then but not too bad

2. Meth isn't as much of an issue for me either, because it is the number one export of ID, or so I think. What are the other crimes like? My research has told me it's mostly breaking and entering, car thefts and the like.
You really need to go the FBI website and check out the crime stats. This is the highest crime place I have ever lived (and I lived in CA). In fact when I created a report I compared Reno to Boise and hands down Reno is worse by far. Oh yeah and tweakers are roaming in many parts of the town, they must like to gamble

3. What is public transportation like? We basically don't have it here, so any would be better.
I do not use public transportation so that I don't know about.

4. What are the better areas to live in? I HATE subdivisions where your neighbors are five feet over the fence, you have never met them, and your kids are forced to play in the streets. I have two younger kids, and I don't want them to be a bunch of street rats.
The only place I think is nice here is up Mt. Rose highway, there are several communities that offer more space and custom homes.

5. What kind of concerts go through there? We get bigger shows like Metallica and NIN, so I am assuming that Reno gets some big ones too??
Well I am not a big metal fan but I have seen several really good shows, in fact I will be seeing Foreigner in a couple of weeks. I love concerts and I think you get quite a good selection of performers here.

6. Are there private or charter schools to go to? How about alternatives to a public education system that I haven't heard anything good about?
No kids, don't know.

And 7. How is the cost of living? How much does a gallon of milk run? A tank of gas? A month of rent? Will $65000 a year get you anywhere??[/quote]

It just depends on what you consider "nice"

I would take a long hard look are Reno, I personally would live in many other places before Reno. I like more greenery, less wind, less crime, nicer downtown, I could go on and on. You will either meet people that think this place is God's gift or others like me that think it's a pit.
You need to come visit for more than a couple of days and really see for yourself. Good luck on your decision!

Old 04-11-2009, 01:02 AM

7 posts, read 39,080 times
[SIZE=3]I just spent four days and three nights at Renown South Meadow and I can say nothing but good about the employees there; they are great! You would be joining a very professional team. As far as Reno - I was born and raised in Southern Idaho (spent four years at Mountain Home AFB) and now live 60 miles east of Reno in a much smaller community somewhat similar to the Southern Idaho town. They have numerous hospital jobs here also but I doubt they pay the same kind of wages. I would not want to live in Reno but I am a small town type who enjoys the opportunity to shop the larger towns (we have driven to Sacramento, Twin Falls and Salt Lake City for shopping). The advice of checking Justice Department statistics is good; Reno relies upon tourists and transit traffic thus it has a lot of serious crime. Comparing prices in Reno with Idaho (Twin Falls anyway) – gas is much higher, milk is higher and property is considerably higher, however, Nevada does not have a state income tax (everything else is taxed to the max and there is a fee for everything you do). I always thought of Nevada as “freedoms last frontier” but it has become too much like California; too many laws, too much government and growing populations with the need for more taxes. mod cut: soliciting removed [/SIZE]

Last edited by scirocco22; 04-26-2009 at 01:43 PM..

Old 04-15-2009, 11:43 PM

1 posts, read 5,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilia164 View Post

And 7. How is the cost of living? How much does a gallon of milk run? A tank of gas? A month of rent? Will $65000 a year get you anywhere??
We will be in the Reno area on the 27th of April for a 9 day visit for possible relocation. We live in the Philippines after moving from Jacksonville, Florida in 2007. My wife is an Registered Nurse and is having problems with the heat and humidity here. She is a surgical nurse with over 30 years experience and will be looking for a part-time job (2 days a week) to supplement my retirement. Hopefully she can find a job in a surgery center or hospital.

Old 04-16-2009, 05:09 PM

5 posts, read 12,947 times
I am a registered nurse and was just laid off from Renown. The greatest demand now is Phoenix. I got a job there and moving next week!

Old 07-22-2009, 10:19 AM

17 posts, read 90,697 times
I'll answer the ones I can:

1. The weather here is awesome, in my opinion. We experience all four seasons beautifully. It will be very cold in the winter, very hot in the summer, and in between in spring and fall. The sun does shine in winter. Since we are in a desert, we don't get as much rain or snow as other areas might. In the coldest part of winter, the highs will probably only be in the 30's or 40's. It's cold, but not unbearable. In the summer, the highs get up to around 102 at the hottest, I'd say.

2. Property crimes account for about 80% of crimes here. And most of them are drug related. The crime factor will depend largely on what area of town you are in. Downtown and northeast Reno are the worst. In contrast, I live in the new Northwest and I feel extremely safe here. All that really happens in my neigborhood are a few vehicle burglaries and an occasional residential burglary.

3. We have a city bus system, which I've personally never used but there seem to be stops everywhere. You can also call a cab and the fares are not exorbitant, like I've seen in larger cities.

4. The nicest areas to live are the new northwest (west of McCarran and north of I-80), and south around Damonte Ranch Parkway. Like I said, get further from downtown and everything gets nicer, as well as more expensive. You'll get what you pay for. You can also get some great deals in Stead, which is north of Reno, so it's up to you whether you want that commute.

5. We get some good concerts but not as many as larger cities. Some of the most popular acts will only come as close as Sacramento. A lot of them go to Lake Tahoe though, which is only about 30 minutes away.

7. Cost of living is not too bad, in my experience (then again I grew up in rural Nevada). Right now we are paying around $2.60/gallon for regular at AM/PM, which is the cheapest. Rent will depend on where you are. I live in a very nice 1 bedroom apartment in a great area of town, and I pay around $900/month.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:01 AM

2 posts, read 8,490 times
i can't belive that you would live Bosie for Reno if you are a RN. You have a chance for any city that you want.

My daughter In Law is a RN in Nampa,

Positions for health care are in demand, pick the place you want to live and the you will get a job.

dloren

Old 08-12-2009, 09:55 AM

96 posts, read 620,083 times
Moved from the Boise area to Reno a few years ago.Absolute worst decision ever made.Lasted about a year and then hightailed it back to Idaho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area