Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 12:55 AM

48 posts, read 176,030 times

Advertisements

I am so over my apartment complex. It seems like they are trying to milk me for every dollar I have.

Situation: I was late on my rent by 3 days, paid it yesterday (they give 3 day grace period.)

Now...I was prepared to pay them the late fee of $60 up until the time, at a later date as I am now broke and cant afford tissue to wipe my behind...However, the landlord says, "well, you still owe the late fee, and it will continue to increase daily til you pay in full".

Thats highway robbery. How are you going to charge me additonal late fees when I already paid my rent in full? What are they loosing by me being 3 days late on my rent?

I really feel the complex is taking advantage. I am in the middle of 2 lawsuits (one against me, one against someone) and I have so many more things to pay than a friggin late fee!

I live in Texas, but they need to start regulating this jive. The late fees should stop as soon as I pay my rent. They shouldn't be able to use a late fee as the cost of my rent, and then keep adding on to it because I cant afford the late fees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 07:27 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,030,489 times
What day of the month is your rent due? If it's due on the first, pay it on the first!
They are being nice and giving you a three day grace period. You already admitted to paying your rent late, so what's the problem?

Your personal financial issues are of no concern to your apt complex. You are in a binding legal contract with them. You own them rent every month in which they are expecting you to pay ON TIME. If you don't pay on time, you pay a late fee.

I suggest you pay the late fee. Do it today. Do it now. Just do it.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:44 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,295,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NationwideService View Post
I am so over my apartment complex. It seems like they are trying to milk me for every dollar I have.

I really feel the complex is taking advantage. I am in the middle of 2 lawsuits (one against me, one against someone) and I have so many more things to pay than a friggin late fee!

I cant afford the late fees.
I guess you could skip the NY trip.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:31 AM

171 posts, read 444,585 times
Is this the first time you've been late, or is it habitual? My advice, and I KNOW it is hard when you're really pinched is to try to pay your rent a few days early. It also tends to build up some "brownie points" in the event that a situation like you described does happen.

I would also check your lease. It very well may be that the increasing until paid off late fees, crappy as they may be, are in the lease.

$60 shouldn't be too hard to raise. Find something you have that can be sold quickly. Donate plasma if you have to and can find a place that pays. End it now, fair or unfair, before you rack up a larger debt.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:02 AM

8,534 posts, read 7,406,673 times
while I do not condone being late with rent. if there's a 3 day grace period and you paid it on the 3rd day, IMO ~~ you do not owe that extra $60. UNLESS, of course, you have been late before.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:21 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,030,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nan5623 View Post
while I do not condone being late with rent. if there's a 3 day grace period and you paid it on the 3rd day, IMO ~~ you do not owe that extra $60. UNLESS, of course, you have been late before.

If it's due on the first and she paid it yesterday ( 7-6-10) then she is late and owes the fee.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:28 AM

171 posts, read 444,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
If it's due on the first and she paid it yesterday ( 7-6-10) then she is late and owes the fee.
That's how I read the OP as well--as paying on Day 6, and not on Day 3.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:36 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,817,029 times
If there is a lease, you have to follow what it says.

If there was something you would not agree to, you should have said it at the time you signed it.

Unfortunately once you read and agree to the lease terms there is not, at least to my knowledge, much you can do. If they established late fees/grace periods/ etc. you have to follow what you agreed to in the first place.

As a tenant, my LL will give me a few days as grace period, but will be strict about the postage stamp date on the envelope. It does not matter when he gets the check, it matters when I sent it.I never used it, I will do everything I can to send him the check even before the 1st; the grace period is not a habit for me, I see it more as an emergency extra time that should be used only if strictly needed. The way I see it, the grace period is not my due date; even though I may pay my rent within it with no late fees, it is already exceeding the due date.

As a LL, I will give no grace period. I agree to a date that is convenient for the tenant and make it clear no grace period is being given. I have given it in the past and the tenants stretched it to their convenience, so now I agree to a date - tenant may even pick it - but not a day more.

When I have to pay bills I have no grace period. A due date is a due date, otherwise late fees are coming.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Yup, you are right ~~ I stand corrected. Thanks Kim.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaw1972 View Post
That's how I read the OP as well--as paying on Day 6, and not on Day 3.

yup, yup, yup ~~ they owe!!! I lost track of my days. LOL Sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting