Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 08:59 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa78703 View Post
All I have to say is: Don't be too big of a jerk.

When my dad became terminally ill and I had to move back to where he and my mom lived, my landlord refused to let me out of my lease. So I ended up paying for an empty house for a year. He simply refused to re-let it, even though he could have easily done so. Nor would he allow me to sublet! I could have really used that money for my dad's hospital expenses. Because of that jerk of a landlord, I paid more than $12K in a house I never lived in. Of course, he found a reason to keep my deposit money, too, when I never even moved in.

I realize that this is inconvenient, but do you really want this woman to forgo her education to move into the house? My family had rental property when I was growing up, and my dad was always very benevolent about letting people out of the lease when they had a good reason for needing to do so. Most of the time, they could no longer afford to pay the rent.
Sounds like you were taken advantage of probably could have done something to mitigate your loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 09:16 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Sounds like you were taken advantage of probably could have done something to mitigate your loss.
I agree. It definitely sounds as if Melissa should have taken the landlord to court. I am sorry you went through that, Melissa. If it isn't too late, you might still want to take that landlord to court.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:22 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,381,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Oh, I know that I was. But after my dad's death, this was not something that I felt like dealing with. Caring for a terminally-ill parent takes it all out of you. Sometimes it helps just to let go of the things that you can't control. Besides, the LL saw that I was a soft touch. I paid the first couple of months rent without any complaint (lease was for a year) even though I never lived in the house. I didn't know what was going to happen with my dad. Once I knew, I did tell the LL, but he was a real jerk about it. He threatened to make my life just miserable enough so I kept paying ... Also, Texas law favors LLs over tenants, almost all of the time.

Old 10-04-2017, 08:59 PM

1 posts, read 513 times
I signed a lease contract in the state of Pennsylvania and sent it via email to the landlord. My signed lease page didnt have the landlord's signature on it. Within a period of about 7 hours, I emailed the landlord to tell him that I was needing to pull out of the lease agreement. I didnt make a deposit on the property and there was no final copy with the landlord's signature included.
Do I still owe a deposit?

Old 10-04-2017, 09:29 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,908,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debi591 View Post
I signed a lease contract in the state of Pennsylvania and sent it via email to the landlord. My signed lease page didnt have the landlord's signature on it. Within a period of about 7 hours, I emailed the landlord to tell him that I was needing to pull out of the lease agreement. I didnt make a deposit on the property and there was no final copy with the landlord's signature included.
Do I still owe a deposit?
First, understand that your signature binds you to the contract whether the LL signs it or not. All he has to do is accept it.

So, you might not owe the full deposit but you could owe rent until he finds a tenant to replace you.

A lot depends on a variety of factors and how the dates work out.

I'm sure he will let you know if he wants any money from you.

If he does, please start your own thread.

Necro-posting on an old thread is very annoying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting