Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 01:44 PM

3 posts, read 3,668 times

Advertisements

My daughter put in an application for an apartment, and I filled out the application to be her co-signer. She did not realize she signed a lease electronically online. She JUST turned 18. I never signed a lease, just the application to be considered as a co-signer. Is this a legal lease and are we responsible now? We hadn't even seen the place or given any money to them, even though they require an application fee. We live in CA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 01:53 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammy L View Post
My daughter put in an application for an apartment, and I filled out the application to be her co-signer. She did not realize she signed a lease electronically online. She JUST turned 18. I never signed a lease, just the application to be considered as a co-signer. Is this a legal lease and are we responsible now? We hadn't even seen the place or given any money to them, even though they require an application fee. We live in CA
How do you know a lease was signed? The reason I ask is because you said your daughter (and you as cosigner) completed an application. An application has to be approved before any lease is signed so why is she (or you) thinking that a lease has been executed?

Old 02-24-2015, 04:33 PM

She apparently filled out the lease online along with the application and checked the signature box as well. THey sent me a copy of this "lease" with a check mark and her name (not and actual signature just her name typed) I have never signed anything, just filled out co-signer application. We have never received a copy of said lease in mail and have not paid anything, including the application fee. They say she is bound to the lease. Unless she wants to change the date to June 1sst. This all seems very fishy

Old 02-24-2015, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammy L View Post
She apparently filled out the lease online along with the application and checked the signature box as well. THey sent me a copy of this "lease" with a check mark and her name (not and actual signature just her name typed) I have never signed anything, just filled out co-signer application. We have never received a copy of said lease in mail and have not paid anything, including the application fee. They say she is bound to the lease. Unless she wants to change the date to June 1sst. This all seems very fishy
It seems very fishy. No money has changed hands, the "signature" on the lease is via email and although in some cases an email "signature" is legally upheld, I don't think it would be upheld in this case and the whole deal sounds very shady. Are these people making any demands on you as yet - exactly what are they saying?

Old 02-25-2015, 01:05 PM

yes. I just got an email that says my daughter is now responsible for the lease until June 1st. Unless they get a renter in the apartment. In a previous email they said they would change her move in date to June 1st if we would take the apartment....SO why is it ok for that??? I did NOT sign anything and my daughter would not qualify without a co-signer. Fishy indeed.

Old 02-25-2015, 03:20 PM

Your daughter is responsible to pay rent until June 1? This is too bizarre. My advice is to ignore. Have you done any internet research on this company?

Old 06-02-2018, 09:03 AM

1 posts, read 499 times
My lease has no signature on it,6 months later the manager brings me a copy of my lease with a signature on it and says this is my lease and he highlighted in blue things on the lease and my original lease does not have a signature or highlighted in blue. I told him that was not my lease I did not sign that lease with the signature on it. So do I have to keep his lease which they copied and I do not know who signed it?

Old 06-02-2018, 09:15 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramgram58 View Post
My lease has no signature on it,6 months later the manager brings me a copy of my lease with a signature on it and says this is my lease and he highlighted in blue things on the lease and my original lease does not have a signature or highlighted in blue. I told him that was not my lease I did not sign that lease with the signature on it. So do I have to keep his lease which they copied and I do not know who signed it?
Did you sign any lease? Was the one provided with a forged signature.

Whenever you sign a lease make sure they bring a copy for you and a copy for them. Make sure both parties sign each one, they keep one and you keep the other. If they only bring in one copy and say they can't make a copy right away take a picture of it at least with your smartphone so you have some kind of record of it and then ask for a copy ASAP.

Old 06-02-2018, 10:36 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,908,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I've mentioned this before on this forum but it's worth repeating on this thread. Several years ago I was taken to court by a LL with whom I had signed a one year lease agreement. The house had many problems and I gave the LL a one month notice several months before the lease period was up. The judge was all set to rule in the LL's favor and award him the remaining months' rentals when I asked him to look at the agreement a little more carefully. Although I had signed the lease and returned it to the LL, the LL had never signed it. Since he hadn't, the lease was adjudged a month to month and I was free and clear.
That shouldn't have happened. YOU signed an agreement that bound you to a year's lease. That's basic contract law. If the landlord's lack of signature was the only thing that decided the issue, you would have lost on appeal.

Understand that small claims judges often play fast and loose with legal issues and decisions like that often get overturned on appeal.

You got lucky.

Old 06-02-2018, 12:26 PM

784 posts, read 729,897 times
A contract is not valid until it is executed. Executed means signed, sealed and delivered.

You should have a signed copy, a pdf at a minimum.

I always sign two copies when you move in, and we each get one. If there are 10 roommates, they still only get one copy. (And they will be evicted because I do not authorize 10 occupants...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
That shouldn't have happened. YOU signed an agreement that bound you to a year's lease. That's basic contract law. If the landlord's lack of signature was the only thing that decided the issue, you would have lost on appeal.

Understand that small claims judges often play fast and loose with legal issues and decisions like that often get overturned on appeal.

You got lucky.
Not necessarily. The LL should have had a signed copy by all parties. Since he did not, the Judge was correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting