Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2010, 12:29 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,485,150 times

Advertisements

Question: As an apartment manager can I be forced to participate in what I believe to be illegal or unethical if asked to do so by the owner of the building? This regards a rent control building.

Target area of problem: Security Deposit Increases

As I understand it: If the landord/owner states in the lease that he may demand an increase in the secuity deposit this is legal for him to do. However, if there is no such statement included in the lease agreement he may NOT legally demand an increase.

Problem: Our property's lease agreement does NOT include any clause stating that the owner/landlord can impose an increase in the security deposit. However, I have been presented with notices to serve on some tenants that their security deposit is being increased. Personally, I feel that I am being asked to do something unethical as well as illegal and do not wish to be the one to serve these notices, which would make me a party to these actions.

How do I deal with this? Am I legally obligated to do this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 12:43 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
I'm not a rent law expert..heres what I know..Legally on a month to month lease agreement, rent or security deposit can be increased, at the risk of losing good tenants.

If their ethics don't match what you feel comfortable with, you might consider working for other companies.

I've personally worked for the unethical and did the above.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:55 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Have you raised this concern with the owner/LL? That would probably be my first step and if they still demanded I do it I would probably be looking for a new job ASAP.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:14 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,485,150 times
The leases are for 12 months.

Already moving out as of October 1st, but can move sooner if I need to.

Talk to the owner? LOL! No way! This is the same owner who keeps increasing the rents and deposits while everyone else is dropping or freezing theirs. Vacancy rates are way up, managers are being blamed for it, and tenants are very angry. This is a rapidly sinking ship and the rats are jumping overboard

Old 08-31-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
The leases are for 12 months.

Talk to the owner? LOL! No way! This is the same owner who keeps increasing the rents and deposits while everyone else is dropping or freezing theirs. Vacancy rates are way up, managers are being blamed for it, and tenants are very angry. This is a rapidly sinking ship and the rats are jumping overboard
Its illegal to increase rents or deposits during fixed term tenancy. Just because theres clauses in the lease, doesn't make it legal either...wait until they get reported to the Attorney Generals office in your state.

Last edited by virgode; 08-31-2010 at 02:16 PM..

Old 08-31-2010, 02:35 PM

Landlord/Tenant Book Index - California Department of Consumer Affairs
amount of notice/amount of advance notice -the number of days' notice that must be given before a change in the tenancy can take effect. Usually, the amount of advance notice is the same as the number of days between rent payments. For example, in a month-to-month tenancy, the landlord usually must give the tenant 30 days' advance written notice that the landlord is increasing the amount of the security deposit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting