Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2010, 04:54 AM

2,106 posts, read 3,063,077 times

Advertisements

One of my rental properties is being handled by a well known Property management company and I am dissatisfied. I have received my funds from them mid month a couple of times in the year 2010. I find it unacceptable to receive my funds on the 20th of the month and still be charged the fee. They have waived the fee once for me but still having the same problem.

This month I called the agent and he isn't sure if the tenant paid!!! I have already found someone else to manage my property. I let the broker of the old company know how dissatisified I was and how things were not handled efficiently. I shouldn't have to do leg work if I hired a company

I also pay monthly American Homeshield for repairs and am charged $60 everytime a service call has to be done. I have been paying the $60, I figured it was ok to pay because everything is tax deductible, but now this is the 4th call in 2010 regarding my heating pump and will need to be replaced at the company's expense---I am thinking about having the tenant pay for the $60 for each service call. But I am hoping that wouldn't cause the tenant to leave. With this economy you don't want to have to deal with potentially losing a tenant--and then advertisement fees.

Also my tenant used some type of fertilizer or bug spray that caused a patch of my grass to be removed. I am not resodding. Too expensive.

The tenant pays on time so this would be out of character if he didn't for september. But I am dissatisfied with this property management company. I would love to sell but this is not a sellers market

I am in Fla--any suggestions.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 10:45 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,481,404 times
How unsure were they if it had been paid or not? Was it just an offhand "Let me check my records" or was it that they checked records and still weren't sure. Because if you called me and asked me if a particular tenant had paid, I couldn't tell you offhand for most of them, I would have to look it up. And we only have 86 units, some of the big companies have hundreds.

When does your agreement say you will get paid? We have ours set up that we receive money from the tenants, pay bills and then release rent less bills for the month to the owner. Since most companies send their bills around the 7th to the 10th, we pay our bills on the 10th, so rent checks get released on around the 11th or 12th. Thus, we have our agreement written that way, so there are no surprises for anyone. Even with only 86 properties, it is a huge rush to get them done on time each month.

I don't think it would be right to charge the tenant for the service calls unless it can be shown that they are misusing the system. If it is just malfunctioning, that is an owner expense. Be glad you have a warranty protection plan. If I was using the system as intended, and the owner wanted to charge me for service calls, I would absolutely put in my notice.

If the lawn problem was caused by tenant action, that is a legitimate charge to them. But you don't necessarily need to resod, you can hydroseed. How large of an area did they kill off? How do you know it was caused by the tenant, and not by bugs?

Old 09-16-2010, 05:37 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,670,074 times
We have a house that we rent out and use a property management company. We get our invoice every 17th by email and the check follows a few days later...

Old 09-16-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
How unsure were they if it had been paid or not? Was it just an offhand "Let me check my records" or was it that they checked records and still weren't sure. Because if you called me and asked me if a particular tenant had paid, I couldn't tell you offhand for most of them, I would have to look it up. And we only have 86 units, some of the big companies have hundreds.

When does your agreement say you will get paid? We have ours set up that we receive money from the tenants, pay bills and then release rent less bills for the month to the owner. Since most companies send their bills around the 7th to the 10th, we pay our bills on the 10th, so rent checks get released on around the 11th or 12th. Thus, we have our agreement written that way, so there are no surprises for anyone. Even with only 86 properties, it is a huge rush to get them done on time each month.

I don't think it would be right to charge the tenant for the service calls unless it can be shown that they are misusing the system. If it is just malfunctioning, that is an owner expense. Be glad you have a warranty protection plan. If I was using the system as intended, and the owner wanted to charge me for service calls, I would absolutely put in my notice.

If the lawn problem was caused by tenant action, that is a legitimate charge to them. But you don't necessarily need to resod, you can hydroseed. How large of an area did they kill off? How do you know it was caused by the tenant, and not by bugs?
When I looked over the contract it does not state when I would receive funds. I spoke with the Broker and she said generally funds are disperesed between the 10th and 20th. I normally would receive it by 14th. I am going to change companies and make sure that it is explained when funds will be received. Upon research it was found that the tenant was paying by the 4th. Rent is due to the office by the 5th, but it was explained that since he has been paying late it has backed up things. Next time I will be charging late fees with new company.

I was alarmed about the grass by my old neighbor. He always calls me to let me know how things are on my property. Its about several patches. I must look up hydroseed. He spoke to the tenant and the tenant explained he is using some new fertilizer that should kill of bugs. Aside from that no problems. The old management company called me today and asked if I would stay with them, to give them another month and I unequivocably said NO. I have no ill with the agent. He is leaving that office due to things falling in between the cracks. So I pray the next management company will work well.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:49 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,481,404 times
I wish you luck with the new company.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
I wish you luck with the new company.
Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting