Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 12:44 AM

3 posts, read 9,088 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody:

Here's a brief description of my situation.

I'm a 61 year old male on Social Security Disability who has recently received a Housing Choice Voucher for a one bedroom apartment.

The last few months of looking for a decent place to live has been an exercise in futility. Either the place is a worse dump then where I presently live or it's bigger than one bedroom.

On 09/01/10 I emailed the head of a local housing agency explaining my situation. I received a reply that there were no available units in the property they controlled, however, the apt manager called and e-mailed me to inform me of an available one bedroom apt in another building (co-op) that she managed.

During our phone conversation she asked me if I've ever been arrested or convicted. I told her yes to both questions (never convicted of a felony) and also added that I had filed for bankruptcy sometime in 2004.

The arrests were in 1979, 1980 and 1988.

I went over to meet the building manager and two of the head members of the co-op. The interview was very short. I even brought a copy of my 2010 credit report listing the bankruptcy, along with my voucher.

She told me there was nothing to worry about and gave me an application to fill out. She also informed me that there would be a $45.00 application fee. This was on 09/06/10.

On 09/09/10 She picked up my application, money order, and family packet (voucher forms to be filled out by the landlord) telling me she would contact me the following Tuesday with an answer.

Tuesday 09/14/10 came and went. I thought she might be behind schedule or something else had prevented her from contacting me.

I then called her work numbers and personal cell phone number (which she freely gave me) I left messages asking if she was OK and could she please call me back ASAP with an answer.

I heard nothing.

On 09/23/10 I emailed her a letter asking if she was OK and essentially reviewing what I'm posting here. The next morning my phone rang with the ID of the co-op. However, after 4 rings no message was left.

I might not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, however, I think it's safe to say that the co-op board found my application lacking.

Aside from receiving no answer, it's her extreme unprofessional approach to the issue and lack of an answer that I find troubling and callous. I'm writing a letter to her agency to bring this issue up.

Here's my question:

Don't they have to notify me that I wasn't accepted and give me a reason why, including access to any reports they obtained with my $45.00 fee.

My voucher is due to expire on 10/23/10. I have to ask for a 30 day extension within the next week or so.

I would like to have whatever information that they obtained on me so I can know why I was rejected.

I'm in the process of contacting HUD and a local legal aid office that deals with housing issues.

It looks like I've wasted almost an entire month with waiting to hear about the apt.

What legal recourse do I have.

Thanking everybody in advance for your help on my behalf.

If anyone knows where I can find a one bedroom apt. in a house or building in Philadelphia please let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 11:52 AM

30 posts, read 173,391 times
The only rules I'm aware of for rejection reasons are the fair credit act. If you gave them permission to pull your credit, and they pulled your credit, they must notify you of the reason, and then you have to right to request a free credit report from the agencies. If they rejected you for a reason other than credit, the rules are a little murky. Most places will send you a rejection form with the reason listed anyway, to comply with the credit check rules.

You have a complicated case though, so I think the local legal aid people are your best bet.

Also, since you don't have a definitive answer yet, it's possible they will still accept you! Or they may simply have not sent the rejection letter yet.

Good luck.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:59 PM

650 posts, read 2,517,109 times
coops can be a pain for rentals, at least in NY.
While coops boards must abide by discrimination laws, they can otherwise reject anyone, and are not required to give a reason

Old 10-01-2010, 07:17 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,971,473 times
You also have no damages to claim. Not sure what you are expecting from a "legal recourse" -- stop being sue-happy.

Old 10-01-2010, 07:23 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,205,511 times
If you have been waiting to hear from them, why didn't you answer the phone when the co-op called?

Old 10-01-2010, 02:50 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
If you have been waiting to hear from them, why didn't you answer the phone when the co-op called?
Exactly what I was going to say. Kind of a no-brainer, eh?

Old 10-01-2010, 02:54 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke_49 View Post
Hello everybody:

Here's a brief description of my situation.

I'm a 61 year old male on Social Security Disability who has recently received a Housing Choice Voucher for a one bedroom apartment.

The last few months of looking for a decent place to live has been an exercise in futility. Either the place is a worse dump then where I presently live or it's bigger than one bedroom.

On 09/01/10 I emailed the head of a local housing agency explaining my situation. I received a reply that there were no available units in the property they controlled, however, the apt manager called and e-mailed me to inform me of an available one bedroom apt in another building (co-op) that she managed.

During our phone conversation she asked me if I've ever been arrested or convicted. I told her yes to both questions (never convicted of a felony) and also added that I had filed for bankruptcy sometime in 2004.

The arrests were in 1979, 1980 and 1988.

I went over to meet the building manager and two of the head members of the co-op. The interview was very short. I even brought a copy of my 2010 credit report listing the bankruptcy, along with my voucher.

She told me there was nothing to worry about and gave me an application to fill out. She also informed me that there would be a $45.00 application fee. This was on 09/06/10.

On 09/09/10 She picked up my application, money order, and family packet (voucher forms to be filled out by the landlord) telling me she would contact me the following Tuesday with an answer.

Tuesday 09/14/10 came and went. I thought she might be behind schedule or something else had prevented her from contacting me.

I then called her work numbers and personal cell phone number (which she freely gave me) I left messages asking if she was OK and could she please call me back ASAP with an answer.

I heard nothing.

On 09/23/10 I emailed her a letter asking if she was OK and essentially reviewing what I'm posting here. The next morning my phone rang with the ID of the co-op. However, after 4 rings no message was left.

I might not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, however, I think it's safe to say that the co-op board found my application lacking.

Aside from receiving no answer, it's her extreme unprofessional approach to the issue and lack of an answer that I find troubling and callous. I'm writing a letter to her agency to bring this issue up.

Here's my question:

Don't they have to notify me that I wasn't accepted and give me a reason why, including access to any reports they obtained with my $45.00 fee.

My voucher is due to expire on 10/23/10. I have to ask for a 30 day extension within the next week or so.

I would like to have whatever information that they obtained on me so I can know why I was rejected.

I'm in the process of contacting HUD and a local legal aid office that deals with housing issues.

It looks like I've wasted almost an entire month with waiting to hear about the apt.

What legal recourse do I have.

Thanking everybody in advance for your help on my behalf.

If anyone knows where I can find a one bedroom apt. in a house or building in Philadelphia please let me know.
Call Obama. You sound like one of his constituents.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:53 AM

The only legal help I'm asking for is an answer as to why I was turned down. I want the name of the agency they ran my background check on. That's something they have to provide along with me being able to access my credit report because the checked it as part of the application process.

You shouldn't be so presumptuous as to think you know that I'm looking to sue.

Thanks for the help F. Lee Baily.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:06 AM

Call a mental health professional...you sound like an idiot.

That, or rant about it at the next tea party get together.

You're an arse!

Old 10-02-2010, 12:58 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,971,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke_49 View Post
The only legal help I'm asking for is an answer as to why I was turned down. I want the name of the agency they ran my background check on. That's something they have to provide along with me being able to access my credit report because the checked it as part of the application process.

You shouldn't be so presumptuous as to think you know that I'm looking to sue.

Thanks for the help F. Lee Baily.
You asked what your "legal recourse" and "legal rights" were regarding the situation.

Seriously, they (probably) declined your application. Move on. Do you really want to force them to rent to you and just have to move in a year?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting