Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2010, 07:07 AM

9 posts, read 27,834 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving out of my home (wife still there) and have never rented before. What are the differences of renting a room in someones house verse just renting an apartment? If I decide to leave after a few months would that be a problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 07:14 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,667,294 times
It depends on the arrangement with the owner of the house. Some would want a lease specifying the length of stay. Typically under hte law if there is no lease term per se, then it is a month-to-month arrangment and either party has to give a certain number of days notice to the other (typically 30 days.)

The biggest difference to me between renting a room from someone and a whole apt is that with my own place I'd have privacy and would not have to worry about the other person being a nutcase, to put it bluntly.

Old 10-09-2010, 05:46 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,048,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
It depends on the arrangement with the owner of the house. Some would want a lease specifying the length of stay. Typically under hte law if there is no lease term per se, then it is a month-to-month arrangment and either party has to give a certain number of days notice to the other (typically 30 days.)

The biggest difference to me between renting a room from someone and a whole apt is that with my own place I'd have privacy and would not have to worry about the other person being a nutcase, to put it bluntly.
Excellent reply!

Old 10-09-2010, 08:36 PM

924 posts, read 2,230,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barristan67 View Post
I am considering moving out of my home (wife still there)
If it's your home, why doesn't she move out? Especially if she was unfaithful, I'd kick her to curb in a heartbeat.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:48 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValueAddedWorker View Post
If it's your home, why doesn't she move out? Especially if she was unfaithful, I'd kick her to curb in a heartbeat.
Making wild assumptions again, VAW?

Old 10-10-2010, 08:21 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,350,704 times
I have done both. It is cheaper to rent a room, but know the parameters, can you use the rest of the house, or just your room? Can you have a separate lock on your door? I requested a dead bolt, and locked it when I was gone, and there. An apartment, more expensive, but you get more time to yourself. When I lived with roommates, I found myself not wanting to be home as much. I spent more time at work, at the gym, out.

too bad you can't work things out at home, just have your own room at your house. When I got divorced, my husband and I lived that way for years. He had the downstairs, I had the upstairs. We stayed away from each other.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:19 PM

69 posts, read 204,968 times
I'd check in my area for SRO rentals (single room only). They are usually renovated hotels and motels that will allow you a greater measure of privacy than renting in someone else's house.

I'd consider making the house into a duplex and continue sharing the expense with the wife. It could work out if you first you put all of the ground rules in writing.

Just a thought!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting