Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2010, 06:04 PM

2 posts, read 4,913 times

Advertisements

I left my house a 1/2 month early so I owe her half month rent and carpet cleaning fee because evidiently my cleaning was not good enough. The LL called saying I owe her a bunch of money and I need to square up. So i said how much money are you claiming I owe? I said send me invoices and I wil review and try and square up with you. This was on voice mails because she would not answer. A month later I receive a bill from a debt collector saying I owe 8600$$! I sent a letter stating I would sue if this is on my credit report and to send me what the 8600 is for. My rent was 1500 month keep in mind. They sent back a packet with back rent, carpentry work, cleaning fees, repairing doorbell that never worked even when i moved in, carpet rplacemnt, and some other contruction type work that I had no idea what the hell she was talking about because the house was in good shape. So I am thinking she is trying to remodel on my dime now. The place was left tip top and clean other than some areas on the carpet I could not get off with a Rug Doctor. I want to reply disputing them but not sure how to go about it. I am willing to pay what I owe but not friggin 8600 dollars. This lady is insane.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 06:24 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,157,110 times
If it was me I would probably think about getting a lawyer. The fact that it has already gone to a debt collector is very worrying.

Old 12-12-2010, 06:41 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,401,534 times
Yes, if she has already turned it in to collection that means she has basically exhausted all reasonable efforts to collect from you directly such as an itemized statement, or a demand letter. Normally one is not sued nor has things go to a collection agency if these other means haven't been done ad nauseam.

How long ago did you vacate the property?

What do you have in writing i.e. the initial move in report, a move out report, receipts from your tenancy, copies of letters that are relevant, etc. (and your lease of course)

Old 12-14-2010, 09:10 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,686,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrewer73 View Post
. I am willing to pay what I owe but not friggin 8600 dollars. This lady is insane.
Thanks
Did you do a walk-through before and after, with an itemized list being made both times? Or did you leave early without letting her know you were out of the house?

Old 12-14-2010, 05:08 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,767,070 times
She can only go to a debt collector if she has a judgment against you and you didn't show up in court...since you are claiming you are not aware of it.

Did you break your lease and owe money for rent?

Do you have pictures of when you moved in and out?

$ 8600 is a lot of money and the Landlord need to specify the costs and show how she deducted the amounts how old the items were....if carpet is a certain yrs old she can't charge new price to you...

You are saying you left 1/2 month early without paying which is a red flag to me...carpet cleaning...? so what happened...did you have a security deposit that you tried to use as rent, which is a big NO!

There is more to this story than you have written so far....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting