Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 10:38 PM

173 posts, read 315,131 times

Advertisements

I gave a tenant a written 30 days notice at the end of last month on a month-to-month lease for a rented room. He is causing a nuisance (mistreatment of animals), so I want him gone. Both I and my neighbors are fed up with his behavior, and I'm prepared to evict, if necessary. I also have reason to believe that he won't be ready to leave at the end of the month (he originally gave me a verbal 30 days one month ago and backed out soon after). From what I know of him, he'll probably be prepared to write a check for next month's rent.

Should I accept the check, even if I have to move forward with an eviction (and if that process takes under 30 days and/or he leaves mid-month, return the unused portion) or refuse it even if he offers? I know that it's still two weeks away, but I need to plan for whatever happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 10:53 PM

13,131 posts, read 21,011,866 times
If you accept rent payment to cover a specific period of time, you have accepted them as a tenant for that period. If the period you accepted payment for goes beyond the original 30 day notice you provided, you cancelled that notice and have to start all over again.

Old 09-15-2015, 04:06 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,033,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsilver View Post
I gave a tenant a written 30 days notice at the end of last month on a month-to-month lease for a rented room. He is causing a nuisance (mistreatment of animals), so I want him gone. Both I and my neighbors are fed up with his behavior, and I'm prepared to evict, if necessary. I also have reason to believe that he won't be ready to leave at the end of the month (he originally gave me a verbal 30 days one month ago and backed out soon after). From what I know of him, he'll probably be prepared to write a check for next month's rent.

Should I accept the check, even if I have to move forward with an eviction (and if that process takes under 30 days and/or he leaves mid-month, return the unused portion) or refuse it even if he offers? I know that it's still two weeks away, but I need to plan for whatever happens.

Your tenant owes rent up until his last day of occupancy. So if you want him out by the end of Sept, he has to pay Sept's rent. If you want him out by the end of Oct, he has to pay Oct's rent.

If he stays beyond the thirty days noted in the notice, you file for eviction. You're not evicting based on rent, you'd be evicting based on lease termination.

Old 09-15-2015, 05:01 AM

85 posts, read 122,445 times
according to me if you would be recover rent in 30 days , then you can do that .

Old 09-15-2015, 09:52 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,446,452 times
Quote:

I'm assuming from your syntax that you gave thirty days notice at the end of August, meaning you want him out September 30, and he paid you for September rent. If that is the case, and you accept a check for October's rent, you will have cancelled your thirty days notice and entered into an agreement that he can stay for the next month. You would have to start over, giving him another notice to be out Oct 31st.

So no, don't accept it and proceed with the process, (notice to quit, eviction proceedings, etc...)

Old 09-15-2015, 09:59 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,765,820 times
Quote:
I gave a tenant a written 30 days notice at the end of last month on a month-to-month lease for a rented room. He is causing a nuisance (mistreatment of animals), so I want him gone.
Please tell me you reported his animal cruelty to the proper authorities.

Old 09-15-2015, 11:08 AM

32,663 posts, read 48,079,532 times
If you give notice or the tenant gives notice the tenant owes rent for the entire notice period. If you suspect that the tenant will not leave, right now you give him a written notice that overstay rent will be charged by the day at triple the previous rent. You'll have to give a 30 day notice of rent increase, which means you will have to be careful about the wording of the notice.

The notice should also inform the tenant that if he is not out on time, you will fIle for eviction for overstay.

If he doesn't leave you start the eviction process immediately. I hope you got a substantial security deposit.

Old 09-15-2015, 12:27 PM

173 posts, read 315,131 times
Ok, so I'm definitely not accepting any payment from him for October.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
If you give notice or the tenant gives notice the tenant owes rent for the entire notice period. If you suspect that the tenant will not leave, right now you give him a written notice that overstay rent will be charged by the day at triple the previous rent. You'll have to give a 30 day notice of rent increase, which means you will have to be careful about the wording of the notice.

The notice should also inform the tenant that if he is not out on time, you will fIle for eviction for overstay.

If he doesn't leave you start the eviction process immediately. I hope you got a substantial security deposit.
Yeah. I didn't think of that... I should have included something like that in my 30 days notice letter.
It may be best to not rock the boat further, since state law already states that unpaid rent is triple.

He's paid through September. It's October that I'm worried about.

And about the animals, I haven't *seen* him hit them, which seems to be the sticking point with the authorities, even though I've heard it (as well as have heard him admit it and come up with stories as to why it's OK...)
His dogs smell really bad due to the way he keeps their cage... I'm very tempted to (but probably won't) take the dogs into the shelter and let him explain to them what's going on. That'd probably be way overstepping, though. They're kept outside, which keeps the house from smelling too bad, but they bark a lot, which the neighbors hate (as well as the smell).

Old 09-15-2015, 02:14 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,765,820 times
Quote:
y bad due to the way he keeps their cage... I'm very tempted to (but probably won't) take the dogs into the shelter and let him explain to them what's going on. That'd probably be way overstepping, though. They're kept outside, which keeps the house from smelling too bad, but they bark a lot, which the neighbors hate (as well as the smell).
If he's not keeping them fed, obtaining medical care and appropriately housed it could be considered cruelty. I'd be willing to bet if they smell that bad they have medical issues. Please at least make a report.

Last edited by Rowan123; 09-15-2015 at 02:33 PM..

Old 09-15-2015, 02:19 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,139,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
Please tell me you reported his animal cruelty to the proper authorities.
Quote:
And about the animals, I haven't *seen* him hit them, which seems to be the sticking point with the authorities, even though I've heard it (as well as have heard him admit it and come up with stories as to why it's OK...)
His dogs smell really bad due to the way he keeps their cage... I'm very tempted to (but probably won't) take the dogs into the shelter and let him explain to them what's going on. That'd probably be way overstepping, though. They're kept outside, which keeps the house from smelling too bad, but they bark a lot, which the neighbors hate (as well as the smell).
Rowan123 is absolutely correct. You need to call someone so they can check on those poor animals. Neglect is just another form of abuse. Please don't ignore what you have seen, call someone to at least have them checked on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting