Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 11:54 PM

555 posts, read 877,433 times

Advertisements

I just got the word yesterday that my application was approved at a senior appartment complex in Arizona, despite having a bankruptcy and an eviction on my record. I have noted a number of LL's on this forum stating they would automatically reject a person with either of those negatives. The complex I am in now also knew about these things and took me anyway.

It obviously helped immensely that I wrote cogent explanations for both mishaps. The BK was essentially all medical bills and I attached the Schedule F from my bankruptcy filing which lists all unsecured debts so they could see this. The eviction I allowed to occur by stopping my rent payments because the LL refused to maintain the heat/AC. I had the city building inspector order her to install a new heat pump and attached that order to my application. The $1000+ judgement that LL got against me in court was discharged in the BK. It cost her over $1000 to evict me, which was my intent.

Anything is possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 02:44 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,767,070 times
Congrats. I hope you won't dissappoint them...

One thing they know for sure...you won't be able to file for another bankruptcy...!

They probably have you out faster than you think if you stop paying the rent...so better show them you deserve this chance!

Old 06-02-2011, 04:32 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,671,167 times
Congrats!

And bentlebee, I though one could file BK every 7 years?

Old 06-02-2011, 05:40 AM

2,106 posts, read 3,013,928 times
I had an ex employee who stated she was waiting to file her third bk. She said she had to wait 7 yrs. She was using the system. What a jerk. Congrats rodomonte.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:11 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,603,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Congrats. I hope you won't dissappoint them...

One thing they know for sure...you won't be able to file for another bankruptcy...!

They probably have you out faster than you think if you stop paying the rent...so better show them you deserve this chance!

Chapter 7 Title 11 U.S.C.

If enough time has not taken place, but a debtor wants to eliminate their debt in a subsequent chapter 7 and has sufficient assets to do so, filing another case may be a good idea. Suppose a debtor has a messy asset(lawsuit, insurance claim, etc) but wants to use that to pay creditors. By filing another chapter 7, the trustee can liquidate that asset to pay the debts. Although the debtor may not be getting top value for the asset since the trustee only cares about getting enough money to pay the creditors, it may be worth the peace of mind for the debtor in not dealing with the asset and having the trustee in charge of converting it to dollars.

Federal law allowss 5-7 years before next filing. Its the law

Old 06-02-2011, 11:15 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,603,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodomonte View Post
I just got the word yesterday that my application was approved at a senior appartment complex in Arizona, despite having a bankruptcy and an eviction on my record. I have noted a number of LL's on this forum stating they would automatically reject a person with either of those negatives. The complex I am in now also knew about these things and took me anyway.

It obviously helped immensely that I wrote cogent explanations for both mishaps. The BK was essentially all medical bills and I attached the Schedule F from my bankruptcy filing which lists all unsecured debts so they could see this. The eviction I allowed to occur by stopping my rent payments because the LL refused to maintain the heat/AC. I had the city building inspector order her to install a new heat pump and attached that order to my application. The $1000+ judgement that LL got against me in court was discharged in the BK. It cost her over $1000 to evict me, which was my intent.

Anything is possible.
many federal judges are discharging secondary and tertiary bank liens now due to the collapsed banking system. I had a client got 20k of Wells Fargo HELOC kicked out by the federal judge

Old 06-02-2011, 04:21 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,486,679 times
I remember your prior thread on this. Did you end up going to apply in person? Did they want you to pay extra up front at all?

Old 06-02-2011, 05:00 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,767,070 times
I hope for the OP that the apartment complex is not in foreclosure...maybe that is why they allowed him...you never know nowadays.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:51 PM

555 posts, read 877,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
I remember your prior thread on this. Did you end up going to apply in person? Did they want you to pay extra up front at all?
Yes, I posted a previous thread asking whether this would be possible. I did drive about 300 miles there to let them see me, as recommended by LL's in that thread. I just paid the standard fees - credit check and deposit to hold unit until I can move in July 1.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:41 AM

45 posts, read 93,489 times
I am a senior citizen as well, going though a bk. I have two houses which I could no longer maintain, had high taxes, was laid off and am collecting social security. My lawyer said I could stay in my mobile home in DE. It is a relief just to get rid of the houses in Pa. I'm glad you were able to get your apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting