Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2011, 09:43 AM

438 posts, read 1,115,113 times

Advertisements

Has anyone here used On-Site Manager, Inc., a credit-checking company? (I searched but found too many hits for 'on-site' that didn't refer to this company.) I filled out their application more than a week ago when I applied to rent an apartment in a large complex. I've heard nothing and their $35 charge is still shown as 'pending' on my credit card account.

I'm an ideal tenant; my credit is spotless and I'm financially stable. I lived in the same complex for more than a decade before I moved and bought my own place last year. I'm retired, so put 'N/A' next to employer on the form. The form asked for my current landlord, so I put "N/A" there too because I own this place free and clear. I don't understand why they're taking so long to process my application.

I'm wondering if anyone has had experience, good or bad, with On-Site Manager. I've found another complex that interests me and I'm thinking of filling out yet another online application for the new place. I wonder if having applied at On-Site will affect my application for the new place. I don't know whether the new place also uses On-Site.

Another question: Would I be better off visiting these complexes in person than applying online? I hoped to complete my apartment hunting online rather than fly there and stay in a hotel, but perhaps showing up in person with income verification documents in hand would make my application easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 01:55 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,733,632 times
I would never use an online application process since we want to see who we are dealing with unless we have no other choice due to dealing with someone Out of State. But that is an exception....normally we want to meet the person and to a complete online process can set you up for people to move in who have committed ID theft because how can you check if the person is really the person.

We take an application in person with proof of ID...isn't that more safe than not seeing the person?

Old 03-10-2011, 02:04 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,683,373 times
I think its better to visit in person. For occupation, I would have indicated "RETIRED" and for Landlord I would have put "OWN MY HOME" to give a more accurate picture of myself as a potential tenant.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:58 PM

438 posts, read 1,115,113 times
You're right. I wish I had thought to put "own my own home" in the landlord's name field. I did put 'retired' as my occupation, and N/A as the employer's name.

I had talked to the leasing person from the property management company on the phone and told him that I had lived in the neighborhood until last summer when I moved out of state and bought my own place and that I wanted to move back. We talked about specific apartments that were available. I asked whether I should send him a check, and he said after I filled out the online application he would get an email from them and would be in touch with me. So I had the impression that the online thing was just a formality and that I'd hear from him soon. I filled out the form as if he would see it, so I didn't repeat things I had already told him, such as that I own my place.

This is the first time I've looked for an apartment since 1998. Things have changed a lot in that time!

Thanks for your reply. I suppose I'll have to make an apartment-hunting trip so I can apply to the new place in person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting