Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 11:54 AM

3 posts, read 17,373 times

Advertisements

I'm living with my parents at a house in Philadelphia in the Port Richmond area. They are renting the house from Philadelphia Real Estate but they never gave us the name of the real landlord. They pay almost 3,000 to rent the house n is $725.00 a month. Well after we move the first week the lights from the living room went off we change light bulbs but didn't work at all. Then after that the light from the hallway went off too and the bathroom. We told the real state about it and they just said they will call the landlord. After that happen one of the electric wired was making contact with a pile of water that was in the basement due to a broken old rusty pipe. they came to fix the pipe like 2 weeks after all that happened. That was on December first month we moved in. They did a very bad job they broke the living room wall n is still broken to this day. With all the snow the bathroom ceiling broke and has a lot of mold. Last week the wall from my parents room was leaking due to the heavy rain and it does no't have any ventilation. My mom did not pay him ever since she does have the money in an account and we did call an inspector and they never reply to him so we waiting for the court inspector to come to the house. Now the landlord is sending us letters of eviction and when I called to explain one of the guys just curse me out bad and hangup on my 3 times. They said they don't come fix the house because we don't pay when we pay the month of January and we still waiting for them to come fix the house. It has very old electric wired's and rusty pipes and the basement still leaking and has mess up my mom stuff and I have a 2 year old baby with asthma and a serious eye problem and they know the baby lives here. Is that fair or what? and if anyone knows of any lawyer please let me know the phone number thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 12:07 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,667,294 times
Did you let the landlords know in writing about all of the issues they needed to fix? That should be done immediately if it hasn't already -- send it certified mail, return receipt requested.

You might want to call Philadelphia Legal Aid: http://www.philalegal.org/

Old 03-14-2011, 01:33 PM

912 posts, read 5,259,053 times
Looks like its time to find a new place.
Hopefully one that's not owned and managed by scum-bags.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:04 PM

We didn't do it in writing yet we talk to them and the same day that we pay them we told them about everything that needs fix and they came once and never came back again. The first inspector told us that if we want we don't have to pay but to make sure we have an account to put the money in there just in case. I try to explain to them again that's when the guy caught an attitude with me. They know they are wrong and this house should not have past inspection I guess they did it illegally because this house is a big pile of trash. We took pictures when the basement was leaking and everything and if you guys look at them you will be disgusted by it. Is ridiculous we want to move but now they saying my dad going to be charge with that money as a debt. Is crazy!

Old 03-21-2011, 09:48 AM

912 posts, read 5,259,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdeleon4 View Post
We didn't do it in writing yet we talk to them and the same day that we pay them we told them about everything that needs fix and they came once and never came back again. The first inspector told us that if we want we don't have to pay but to make sure we have an account to put the money in there just in case. I try to explain to them again that's when the guy caught an attitude with me. They know they are wrong and this house should not have past inspection I guess they did it illegally because this house is a big pile of trash. We took pictures when the basement was leaking and everything and if you guys look at them you will be disgusted by it. Is ridiculous we want to move but now they saying my dad going to be charge with that money as a debt. Is crazy!
I think that you go to court and set up an escrow account with them.
The landlord won't get paid until the house is brought up to spec.
I believe after a limit of time, you get to keep the money.

Double check all of this, I could be wrong.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:59 AM

8,534 posts, read 7,401,305 times
Call the health department. Especially with a baby in the place.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:51 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
My question is the situation is obviously less than ideal and you have documented by outside governmental agency(s) the nature of the deficiencies.

Why would you spend another minute there?

The well being of you family has to come first and if you are not looking out for your family it is naive to think a stranger will do any better.

It may be the Landlord for whatever reason is incapable of making the repairs... maybe the place is going into foreclosure???

If you want to pursue your complaint, I imaging a complaint could be filed with the Department of Real Estate against the management company.

For your own protection... all correspondence should be in writing...

Old 03-22-2011, 08:39 AM

That's the thing we want to move but their lawyers send a letter saying they will put it as a debt to my dad. They told my dad after the guy curse me out that even if we pay the rent they wont fix anything because they don't care. I want to know if we move that it wont be a problem or they still will bother us with that? We still waiting for the court inspector to come and he hasn't been here yet we will have to go to their office and check what's wrong.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:33 PM

1 posts, read 5,447 times
my landlord wont fix the house. the basement has water in it, the bathroom has black mold on the walls, an the floor in falling in. there are birds an squirrel in the walls.i pay 500.00 a month what should i do?

Old 05-12-2011, 04:01 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Ramin View Post
my landlord wont fix the house.

the basement has water in it mop it up
the bathroom has black mold on the walls scrub them
an the floor in falling in step carefully
there are birds an squirrel in the walls no charge entertainment

i pay 500.00 a month what should i do?
sit tight and count your blessings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting