Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 06:01 PM

9 posts, read 44,843 times

Advertisements

I own a condo. The girl renting my place has a dog. Two days ago the dog bit someone, and I issued her to notice to remove the dog in 3 days or face evication. The next day she told me she's removing the dog but also moving out but don't know when and expect a pro-rated last month rent instead of whole month. She has a one year lease with 60-day notice requirement.

My question: in this situation, does she get to terminate the lease in this way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 06:05 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,214,720 times
You need to check the rental laws in your particular state, but since the dog belongs to HER and is HER responsibility, I don't see why you would have handle it differently than any other person who moves out early. You really don't owe her any extra perks.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:13 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,401,534 times
Glory is right. In our Pet Addendum, it states that if there are any complaints the tenant may be required to remove the animal; it doesn't say anything about releasing them from the lease if that happens. Being able to have an animal in a rental is a privilege; pets are not a protected class! Send her a certified letter ( or better yet, also hand deliver it so you know she gets it) your standard letter when someone breaks a lease.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:51 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,674,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdkbl622 View Post
I own a condo. The girl renting my place has a dog. Two days ago the dog bit someone, and I issued her to notice to remove the dog in 3 days or face evication. The next day she told me she's removing the dog but also moving out but don't know when and expect a pro-rated last month rent instead of whole month. She has a one year lease with 60-day notice requirement.

My question: in this situation, does she get to terminate the lease in this way?
Was the dog allowed in the lease? If so it might not be so simple to demand that her dog be removed? Did you put in the lease that you could demand and that she must comply with this demand.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:38 PM

yes I did. and I just checked with other tenants, she already has removed the dog.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:45 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,054,775 times
So, if she brings the dog back and you evict her, then the problem is solved. She gets to move out to stay with her dog.

If you were ready to evict her, why would you care if she moves out?

I can't see a pet owner staying somewhere without their pet. If she is forced to stay, I am willing to bet she will bring the dog back. I would.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:23 PM

well I can't relly evict her because she already removed the dog....
but i just gave her the option to move out by the end of the month and receive her last month rent back.
also isn't a dog with biting history considered dangerous and should be restrained?...

Old 04-03-2011, 09:42 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,054,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdkbl622 View Post
well I can't relly evict her because she already removed the dog....
but i just gave her the option to move out by the end of the month and receive her last month rent back.
also isn't a dog with biting history considered dangerous and should be restrained?...
In a lot of places, the dogs are allowed "one bite" before they are labled.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:00 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,724,101 times
The lease agreement allowed her to have a dog. According to you, there is a provision in your lease which says that if the dog is a problem then it has to be removed. IF that's really the case then she has to abide by the terms of her lease agreement with you and she can't arbitrarily determine a quit date and anything pro-rated. She's removed the dog, you now have no reason to proceed with her where eviction is concerned but she's still bound by the terms of her lease agreement with you which requires a 60 day notice based on a one year lease.

Who did the dog bite? Was the dog running loose outside the condo when it bit someone or was it on a leash? Was Animal Control called, were the police called? Lots of ifs ands and buts here but hope I've been of some help.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:03 PM

2 posts, read 8,246 times
I would check your laws landlord tenant laws in your state, but as has been mentioned in a previous post that your request is to remove the animal; then she does not get to terminate the lease without consequence. You should have grounds to proceed with the eviction or report the lease as a broken lease if the tenant decides to terminate this lease and move out. Your request is to remove the animal and not the tenant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting