Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2011, 06:39 PM

5 posts, read 47,178 times

Advertisements

So my friends and I are in college, and found a townhouse for next year. Three of us put in applications and paid the app fee, we did this through the current tenant (might sound funny, but Im pretty convinced he's related to the owner) We were the first to turn it in. It's been about a week and we haven't heard from the owner, I emailed the tenant who lives there now to see if he heard from the owner, and he hasn't and were both just waiting now. That was about 5 days ago or so.

So I ended up calling the tenant yesterday(4-3-11) to see if there was any news. He said "no" he still hasnt heard from him. I had completely forgotten that on the application were two phone numbers and an email address to reach the owner. Not even a minute after I hung up with the tenant, I called the owner. He answered, I told him who I was, that we saw the house, turned in the apps, we were interested, etc.

He said how he's been doing taxes last week, but got the apps emailed to him from the tenant, and his wife printed them out, and that he was planning to look at them by today(4-4-11) at the latest. He told me we were the first to actually turn in our apps, and at the top of the pile. He also said he appreciated the call, and it showed him that we were serious about renting the place. He asked for the best number to reach me at, I gave him my number and told him Im usually always available to answer calls.

Im not sure if him asking for my number meant he was going to call me today(4-4-11) to let me know. But I still havent received a call from him.

For those reading this, it might sound a little suspicious, but I definitely dont think these guys are running a scam on us. They let us into their place, so we know where they live, and I know someone living in the same complex next year.

I guess my question is do I wait for him to call? Call him back? Where do I go from here? We took a look at a few houses, and this is the one we'd love to have.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 06:42 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Patience.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:50 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,666,857 times
If he hadn't even looked at your app yet, give him some time -- maybe he needs to do a credit and/or background check on each of you?

As much as we want answers NOW (I am the same way), we have to realize that almost always we are not the other person's highest priority.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:16 PM

Definitely didnt expect replies that fast, thank you so much. Yeah, thats a good point about if he hasnt looked at our apps yet, that will take more time. But do you think there is a cut off where I should call him back? Maybe after another week or so? When I spoke with others, they said it usually take 3-5 days.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:51 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
Fair Housing Regs require he accepts the first qualified applicants....... you guys are the first. I hate renting to roommates and have to be hard-pressed to give them applications so I don't get into a Fair Housing issue. So, now he has to find something wrong with your applications. That might take some time if he doesn't typically rent to students. Either way, it takes time to research 3 separate applicants.....

Old 04-05-2011, 08:05 PM

914 posts, read 4,443,783 times
You might consider calling if you haven't heard anything by Friday. That gives him a couple of days.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:58 AM

24 posts, read 92,664 times
Give it a rest for the first few days. Take action if a week goes by without any response from him or her.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:52 PM

The patience paid off. We all got approved! Got an email from him with the lease and all the information. Now we'll just go from here. Thanks for all the advice, and I'll be sticking around .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting